Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2019, 04:22 AM   #21
russcc

Default Re: USA mfg screws

The real issue pertaining to appearance items like garnish moldings which I referred to in my initial post is the #6 or #8 slotted, oval head, self tapping screw. The fact is the head diameter is at the very low end of the ANSI tolerance. All of the fastener distributors, bar none, sell imported junk, I even talked with the folks at Gardner Westcott, who were very helpful. They went to their inventory and measured the diameter of the #6,#8, & #10 slotted, oval head, self tapping screws, and reported the head diameters all at the very bottom of the ANSI diameter tolerance. RB had a very practical and almost invisible solution in using small, clear washers under the screw heads to better fill the countersunk hole in the molding.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:28 AM   #22
JM 35 Sedan

What you need to do is find an old fart (like me) who has been playing with, and sometimes working on, these cars since they were a kid, and saved every piece of hardware they removed from the cars they owned, their friends cars they worked on, and all the cars they stripped parts from in their local junkyards.
I have at least 10 five gallon buckets full of old original Ford hardware, plus a bunch in boxes, bags and everything else imaginable, stored in my garage. I usually do not sell any of this hardware, but I do offer it to my friends who bring their cars to my place to work on.
We worked on a 35 Ford touring sedan last winter and into this spring and replaced every piece of NON original Ford hardware we could find on that car, and there was plenty of it, with original Ford hardware of the correct size and finish.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-12-2019, 08:27 AM   #23
Charlie Stephens

Try Culver Industrial Hardware in Culver City, California. I doubt that they do mail order. They have an extremely large selection of fasteners in stock. Of course they are not a Ford restoration parts supplier and will be missing the Ford unique fasteners. Please excuse the post if you are not located close to them . You might want to add your general location to your profile.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 10-12-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote