Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2020, 10:01 AM   #1
Bob Bidonde

Default Heated Seats In The Model "A"

While restoring my Victoria, I thought there must be a practical and non-evasive way to provide comforting heat for the driver and passengers riding in my car during Long Island, New York winters. Electric seat heating pads! We have been sitting on these things for years.

Heated seat pads are available that fit the single person folding seats and bench seats in the Model "A." Heated seats require 12VDC, and in my application the current draw is a total of 11A with all pads ON. My Victoria has a 12V, 60A alternator that is more than adequate. The hookup wire I used is AWG18 stranded copper. The pads have integral fuses.

The heating pads require a 2-wire hookup which I accomplished with 2 terminal strips attached to the inside of the firewall with commercial grade Velcro. One terminal block is grounded to a started motor mounting bolt, and the other terminal block connects to the left side of the terminal box so that current draw registers on the ammeter. Each of the power outlets has separate wire runs from the terminal blocks.

The single person seat pad is a Sojoy SJ115R054 with specifications of 12VDC, 4A max, 5A/250V fuse, 1150 F, a temperature controller with 45 minute timer, cigarette lighter type power plug with LED indicator, non-slip soft velour with buckled elastic attachment straps and it’s size is 43"x19"x0.5". Cost was $22 each.

The Zone Tech Heated Rear Seat Cushion is similar in construction to the Soyjoy and it measures 51.1”x19.7”, operates on 12VDC drawing 3A with a 10A fuse, has a cigarette lighter type power plug with LED indicator, attaches with black elastic straps, and has a digital temperature controller with an integral 45 minute timer. Cost was $20. There are many other brands to choose from.

It takes a few minutes for the pads to reach operating temperature, and the heat is very comfortable. The pads do not slide out of position, and the bungee cord technique of attachment on the front seats works well. The total cost was less than $100.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:01 AM   #2
DBSHELTON

Default Re: Heated Seats In The Model "A"

Nice. Are any available in 6v ?
DBSHELTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:15 AM   #3
PalAl

Bob, a great description with pictures and part numbers, it can't get any better. Wish you had posted this a month ago as we are touring on Wed. and there is quite a chill in the air in Northern Illinois. My wife gave it a two thumbs up so I guess it's a go. A cool wife in the summer (AC) and a warm wife in the winter is a happy wife and we all want a happy wife.
Thanks again for sharing. Great idea
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:01 PM   #4
Alaska Mike

I would guess that heating elements don't know anything about voltage. You might try the unit on 6 volts, but it would double the amp draw to 22 amps, so wire size would have to be increased to about a 10 gauge wire.
Alaska Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:36 PM   #5
GRutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
I would guess that heating elements don't know anything about voltage. You might try the unit on 6 volts, but it would double the amp draw to 22 amps, so wire size would have to be increased to about a 10 gauge wire.
No... the resistance of the elements in the heating pads doesn't change. The voltage would be reduced from 12v to 6v, so the current would also be reduced from 11a to 5.5a... and they wouldn't get as warm or as fast.
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:57 AM   #6
katy

Quote:
the current draw is a total of 11A with all pads ON. The hookup wire I used is AWG18 stranded copper.
IIRC #18 is only rated for 5 amps, for 11 amps #14 would be a better choice , 15 amp rating.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:04 AM   #7
jm29henry

I believe that it depends on the insulation rating
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26A9F9F7-DCC2-4E4F-A074-87FE3AD1E811.jpg (7.2 KB, 52 views)
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:02 AM   #8
Bob Bidonde

The circuit to the double outlet has a current of 8A, and the circuit to the single outlet has 3A.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:35 AM   #9
big job

For the people of todays world, its called a back pocket warmer flask full of Jack in the thing LOL but the manifold heater rules and a Trico vacuum fan for defroster. gotta love it.........
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:12 PM   #10
fredski53

Sounds like a win-win to me! Go for it !
fredski53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:32 AM   #11
Bob Bidonde

In my opinion, the heated seat pads are a home run! Having tested the seat pads on a couple of cruises, the heat is comforting to my back and derriere. I initially thought that the pads would slip & slide as I ingress and egress my car, but that has not been the case. The pads stay put! The AWG18 hookup wire is satisfactory for this application. If you have an achy back / legs, the heated seat pads are especially beneficial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 190A Heat Seat Pads 389kb.jpg (100.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #12
Aarongriffey

Believe it or not....when I was about five or six my dad and I were I town and we ran across a friend of my dad’s who had just bought a new ‘42 Ford four door.
The guy insisted my dad and I go for a drive with him and that my dad drive it.
I think it was the first steering column shift car my dad ever drove, but what impressed him more was the electric seat heater in the front seat.
I sat in the back right behind the driver and there was no rear seat heater.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:25 PM   #13
Dick Carne

We are about ready to begin the upholstery process on our '31 Cabriolet, and have been thinking about putting heated seat pads under the seat fabric rather than on top of the seat. Has anyone tried this before? If so, what recommendations, considerations would you have and/or suggest in that event?

I am also wondering whether our use of a vinyl fabric (without the pinholes found in contemporary car seats) rather than a cloth fabric seat covering would create issues for us down the road?

As always, I appreciate everyones' thoughts and replies.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:08 AM   #14
5851a

I have installed them in a more modern car and don't remember the instruction being specific about material. They worked great. I believe the brand was Rostra, I see Summit racing has what appears to be the model I used. 250-1870. They were working when I sold the car a few years later. You need 1 kit for each seat. Amazon has them too.

Last edited by 5851a; 11-28-2020 at 09:16 AM.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:40 AM   #15
5851a

I looked at Amazon and different brand but look identical ad said for 2 seats for the same price as Summit for 1. I would check with seller if it's for 2 would be a great deal. KBD brand $53.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #16
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Carne View Post
I am also wondering whether our use of a vinyl fabric (without the pinholes found in contemporary car seats) rather than a cloth fabric seat covering would create issues for us down the road?
Vinyl shrinks and becomes brittle with age, as its volatile components evaporate. Heating accelerates this.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:39 PM   #17
Dick Carne

Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations guys. I am hoping to start with the interior after the first of the year. As a lot of folks have joked in the past, at my age, I don't even buy green bananas. So if I can get twenty years or so out of this, then the next owner can consider replacing the vinyl seats. My wife and I have always enjoyed open cars (except in the Winter, of course), and the fact that this is another open car seemed that a vinyl interior would hold up better than a Bedford Cord or even leather. I'll also plan to do some "bird-dogging" to compare pricing among various sources for heating units as well before moving forward on this - but again, thanks so very much for your thoughtful responses.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:41 PM   #18
PalAl

Dick keep us informed, take pictures if you can and share them with the BARN
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:14 PM   #19
Bob Bidonde

I thought putting the heating pads under the upholstery, but I did not do so because the pads become inaccessible should they require replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 190A Heated Seat Pads 491kb.jpg (128.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-29-2020, 03:48 PM   #20
nkaminar

My car came with 12 volt electric blankets. There is no tag so I cannot provide any information. There are two blankets that cover two people each. I guess one person could use it for lap and upper body heat. The car has 12 volt outlets in the back and front.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote