Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2016, 08:24 AM   #41
davehc

Default Re: Greatest moment in a Model A

I believe my favorite would be when I think I really got the itch to have an " A " . When I was three years old , my dad moved up here to Michigan , from Alabama looking for work , 68 years ago , and after finding a good job he sent for the rest of the family . We met him at the railroad depot where he picked us up in his "A" that for some reason was missing the rear window . To this day I'm reminded by my sister's how I embarrassed the family by sticking my head out the window and yelling " hello " to everyone we passed , [ this was our first car , so it was a real treat for me ] . All those years since , I always had had a soft spot for the " A 's " .
davehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:12 AM   #42
Ray in La Mesa

My "greatest moment" was & is the 30 years my wife & I have been enjoying our two Model A's together with one highlight being reaching the top of Pike's Peak, colorado.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #43
barnstuf

In September 1928 Dad traded in his 1926 Model T Sedan on a 1928 Model A Fordor. I was a youngster and fell in love with the Model A immediately. I rode with him standing up holding onto the dash rail and did not sit in the passenger front seat. My most memorable experience in that car was in the 1928-29 winter when a major snowstorm blocked U S Route 6 in my town and Dad simply turned onto the parallel railroad tracks after the train went by and we bumped along the rails 3 miles to a cross road. Dad was a physician responding to an emergency and I was with him. Because of that 28 Fordor, which Dad traded for a 1933 Ford in 1933, I got my first Model A in 1937, before I was old enough to be legally licensed. I have had many adventures of my own too numerous to outline here.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #44
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage Orange View Post
More like "most memorable" moment. I had been drinking with some friends and went home late in the evening, but knew I needed to clear my head - and drain the bladder - so I headed to the nearby park and decided a drive my '29 A coupe around the circular lagoon would be a good idea. No other cars, and no streetlights, so I put the throttle just above idle, stepped out onto the running board, unzipped and solved the problem, holding onto the steering wheel through the window with one hand. I opened the door, climbed back in and circled the lagoon about three or four more times, then drove home. I am older, wiser and adamantly against driving if I've had even one beer nowadays, but laugh to myself every time I think of that foolish episode.
You were not very smart back then were you ? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #45
bettlesr

My greatest moment was one week after my son (who pulled it down our driveway with a rope around his waist) and I dragged my '30 Sport Coupe home from my next door neighbors garage. It had been her fathers and had been sitting there from before she was born. After one week (actually one days work) my 78 year old father (who had a '29 Cabriolet in High school and was a mechanic all his life), my son and I, put in a new battery, plugs, coil and changed the oil. We got the the ground to the distributor plate fixed and started her up. As we had poured oil into the cylinders the week before, the look on elation on my fathers face when she fired up and the entire car disappeared an a cloud of smoke was something I will never forget. By the end of that day I drove my mother and father and then my neighbor up and down my driveway. My father is now 96 and mother at 93 still enjoy seeing it whenever I take it to their house. It took the three of us 8 years, working just one day a week, to change her from the before picture to the after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford day 1.jpg (58.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Ford-Painting.jpg (108.5 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by bettlesr; 12-22-2016 at 11:23 AM.
bettlesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #46
Steve Plucker
BANNED

There are actually two for me.

The first was when I bought my 1929 Standard Coupe in 1966. I had been after this car for two years when I first saw it (I was 14 at the time). I asked him several times if he wanted to sell it but I always got the same old answer a lot of us have heard before..."Nope...going to restore it one of these days" he would always tell me. Well, about once a month I would stop by and talk to him and look at that coupe. So one day in September 1966 I stoped by and I guess he was getting tired of me so he asked me if I still wanted to buy it. "Yes" I said. He said to me that I could have it on one condition and that I was to restore it and not turn it into a hotrod. Well I told him that is what I wanted to do so it was settled. I bought the coupe (he also threw in a 1929 Closed Cab Pickup) for $250.00. I couldn't get them home fast enough. They sat for about 10 years or so while I was in California but when I returned home in 1977 I restored the coupe. By 1980 it was finished. I called my friend for whom I had bought it from and told him that I had something that he might would like to see. When I drove up to his house with it and when he saw it, I will never ever forget the smile he had on his face...a grin from ear to ear! I took him for a ride and did he ever enjoy it.

The second was when I was in Chico, California in 1982. I was at a local car wash cleaning up the coupe when this little old lady came walking by. She was looking it over real good and asking all sorts of questions. She asked me if it had a rumble seat. I said yes and she wanted to look at it. She told me in these words "Young man, when I was young, that was the place to be on a date, oh the fun I had back there" as she was smiling. I said to her "I bet you really had some fun". She said "You bet I did" still smiling.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:32 PM   #47
jfreddie

My happy time was two years ago when I drove the Alcan from Anchorage to Dixon, Illinois with my son in Jewely, my '30 Tudor.
He had never driven an A so he got used to the clutch pretty quick. Very humbling.
We stopped at Chisolm, MN to visit the widow of the former owner of the car. Rather emotional as it had been 20 years since she'd seen it. I hadn't made any changes to the car other than tires and brakes).
When we arrived in Illinois the local paper interviewed us and put us on page one.
A great father/son experience as well as the A.
Only one flat tire, on arrival in the driveway. It knew it was done!
jfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #48
ursus

Around 1960, the neighbor had a 29 coupe as his work car. Our dog had developed a habit of sleeping in the shade on the passenger side running board. One day the neighbor fired up the "A" and took off before the dog could get off and there he stayed put until the neighbor arrived at his job 5 miles away and discovered the stowaway. He worked in a burger joint and let the dog graze on leftovers from the restaurant all day. By afternoon, we were worried about the dog's whereabouts and I was sent to look for him. We were finally relieved to see him arrive home at the end of the day, riding on the front seat of the coupe with what appeared to be an ear to ear grin.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #49
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
Around 1960, the neighbor had a 29 coupe as his work car. Our dog had developed a habit of sleeping in the shade on the passenger side running board. One day the neighbor fired up the "A" and took off before the dog could get off and there he stayed put until the neighbor arrived at his job 5 miles away and discovered the stowaway. He worked in a burger joint and let the dog graze on leftovers from the restaurant all day. By afternoon, we were worried about the dog's whereabouts and I was sent to look for him. We were finally relieved to see him arrive home at the end of the day, riding on the front seat of the coupe with what appeared to be an ear to ear grin.
Ursus,
Our Dog, Bulger, rode Chiefs' running board to Grannies' House!
He would drive KRAZY & TRY to dump him off-----NO WAY!
Bill Fun
Old 12-22-2016, 02:42 PM   #50
Dave in MN

Going-to-the-Sun Road scenic drive in Glacier National Park, Montana with the top down in our Phaeton. It is difficult to describe the natural beauty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04026.jpg (28.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04011.jpg (28.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03949.jpg (34.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04018.jpg (53.3 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Dave in MN; 12-22-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #51
Seth Swoboda

Here is my wife and I on our wedding day in my 1931 Victoria, for a Christmas Card photo and on an overnight road trip to St. Genevieve, MO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31 Vicky.jpg (84.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg christmas vicky.jpg (97.1 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg road trip vicky.jpg (89.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg vicky engement.jpg (71.5 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by Seth Swoboda; 12-22-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #52
Cornishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eswanson View Post
So far... When my Grandpa sat next to me (2 years ago, helps to be young) and told me all his dating tricks from the Model A. Kinda freaked me out thinking he used them on Grandma but I got over it.

Eric
I've got my grandad's five year diary from 1919. It's a bit like that.
Cornishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #53
Steve_Mack_CT

Some great stories here. Some memorable ones for me:

First ride in an "A" around age 13, restored '31 roadster in W-blue that friends were working on, rumble seat ride, I was hooked...

Same car, a few years later, dad and I were into antique cars by then and stored one at my grandmother's place. She got a ride in the A roadster - it was a big highlight for her and very nostalgic.

In 2001, I finally bought a '30 tudor, older restoration. A neighbor and I got it running in an afternoon and drove it around the neighborhood. First A I ever drove.

Most recently, we bought a '30 roadster that we use a lot, and are having a lot of fun with that car. I need to be sure to give a kid a ride in the rumble seat this season!!

oh, my friend still has the '31 - in the family for 45 years or so now!
Old 12-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #54
1930-fordor

Only had my 30 four door for less than 2 years.
My wife and I were on our way back home from the national meet in Toledo Ohio (1500 mile round trip)
She looks over at me and said
" If anything ever happened to you, I'm keeping this car"
Priceless moment
1930-fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:54 PM   #55
mshmodela

Too new of an owner but that first drive was scary and amazing to think how old a car I was in and driving...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #56
Will Ziegler in LI NY

Seeing my 16 year old son, Riley, drive my 1931 phaeton on the New England meet tour through the north shore of Long Island. The smile on his face was worth a million dollars.
Will Ziegler in LI NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:32 PM   #57
Bill Lee/Virginia

Driving my 1930 Cabriolet (that I prepared myself) across the finish line in Mexico City, Mexico at the end of the 1995 Great North American Race.

Bill Lee/Virginia Peninsula
Bill Lee/Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #58
tagroff

The 28 roadster pick up I now own was bought new by my grampa. He owned an apple orchard and I can remember my brothers and I taking turns when I was around 10 hauling apples up to the bank barn and unloading them..We always talk about it whenever we have a family reunion I make sure and drive it to the reunion.

1928 Roadster Pick Up
tagroff is offline   Reply With Quote