Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #21
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: this is what I drug home yesterday- not Ford

Beautiful! How nice is the interior? I'd just clean it up without any "restoration" other then what is needed to make her safe to drive. Are you going to now join the Classic Car Club of America? Smoke big c-gars and leave us peon Ford drivers in your dust...?

Bob-A
Old 10-29-2020, 02:49 PM   #22
Mad Mac

Default Re: this is what I drug home yesterday- not Ford

After Model As, Buicks are my favourite vintage car, and that one is just lovely. My Great Grandmother had a '27 Buick tourer here in NZ and it was a great car too.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:24 PM   #23
ronn

runs fantastic and I really mean that..............

photos coming in a few days as it is raining cats and dogs here and only have it tarped at the moment. will be on it this weekend. sunny days coming
Old 10-29-2020, 04:29 PM   #24
Synchro909

I've had a fairly eclectic range of old cars over the years. Chrysler, Fiat, Ford, Delage and others. The Delage is light years ahead of any of the others for road manners and driveability - a lovely car but parts (if ever you'd need them) are not so easy to get. The Model As are are at the extreme other end of the spectrum on both counts, IMO
That Buick looks like a nice car but I bet it is thirsty. Nice find, never the less.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:37 PM   #25
Jembow

I love it!
Old 10-29-2020, 06:07 PM   #26
ronn

thank you Bob A- interior looks a ok, will change out the crusty 70s carpet.......
homemade thingy!

well synchro- thirst is ok when a barrel of crude is right around 35. big ones........

yes have been pondering cigars all day and the finer things in life...... maybe a nice cognac! warms the heart........

question now is- which As to keep and which to sell. I lovem all.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:24 PM   #27
Gene F

Nice car Ronn. Those Buicks tend to go for a fair amount of money when in very good shape.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:18 PM   #28
mass A man

Very nice!! Yes, a '30 opera coupe. Last year for the straight 6, 1931's were a straight 8's AND they put synchros in transmission's 2nd & 3rd gear in '31. I had a '30 4 door series 40. Your Buick had a repaint somewhere along the road, the pin-striping was never re-done. It was along the hood and belt line, very similar to Model A pin-striping scheme. The original engine fan actually has a gear driven oil pump in the hub! Overlooked by many owners. Look closely and you will see an oval-head screw in rear fan hub. That is the filler hole when you remove the screw. Be careful with the pot metal door handles. G.M. at the time thought it would be a great theft deterrent if the handle was forced down, it would shear off inside and just spin around without opening the latch! A new handle would cost $3.00 back then. Try and find them now.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:29 PM   #29
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass A man View Post
Very nice!! Yes, a '30 opera coupe. Last year for the straight 6, 1931's were a straight 8's AND they put synchros in transmission's 2nd & 3rd gear in '31. I had a '30 4 door series 40. Your Buick had a repaint somewhere along the road, the pin-striping was never re-done. It was along the hood and belt line, very similar to Model A pin-striping scheme. The original engine fan actually has a gear driven oil pump in the hub! Overlooked by many owners. Look closely and you will see an oval-head screw in rear fan hub. That is the filler hole when you remove the screw. Be careful with the pot metal door handles. G.M. at the time thought it would be a great theft deterrent if the handle was forced down, it would shear off inside and just spin around without opening the latch! A new handle would cost $3.00 back then. Try and find them now.
Obviously a man with a wealth of knowledge. You should get his contact information. Wayne
Old 10-30-2020, 04:09 AM   #30
ronn

Hi Mass- yes you are correct. this car was blue red and black. someone repainted the front hood and fenders and they look real good. the rest of the cars paint.........
cracked peeling etc.

so on the handles... the trunk escutcheon was cracked into about 6 pieces. I found a 1952 esc leftover from my 52 Buick wagon and was able to make it fit. not much difference and now you can actually grab the handle.
yes correct on the 31 straight 8. was thinking the v-8 came out in 53 and had them confused.

didnt expect such positive comments on the Buick, being a ford site and had a little trepidation about posting......... thank you.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:33 AM   #31
updraught

Buicks seemed to have quite a following here, most, if not all, would have had an open body by Holden. The guy next door keeps telling me about going roo shooting in a Marquette.

"Also in 1925, a Buick was taken around the world without a single driver, showcasing the reliability of Buick’s and GM Export’s service operations worldwide. The car was driven by dealer representatives in England, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Egypt. It traveled by trans-desert convoy to Damascus, Baghdad and Basra. Then it was on through India and Ceylon, across Australia and New Zealand, and finally and triumphantly, from San Francisco to New York. A Buick magazine of the 20’s routinely reported such events as a hill-climb victory in Africa, winning a tug-of-war with an elephant, a trek through New Zealand, and the Sultan of Johore with his Buick in the Far East. In addition to U.S. production, Buicks were built in Canada through an early agreement with the McLaughlin Carriage Co. family. This arrangement led to the creation of GM of Canada.
And, in those decades before World War ll, Buick components were shipped to such countries as Spain, Belgium, England, Australia, New Zealand, even Java, where assembly was completed.
In 1929 Buick opened a sales office in Shanghai, China. Actually, Buicks had been exported to China as early as 1912 and soon became a popular marque among Chinese business and political leaders. And in the 20’s and 30’s, Buicks built in Canada became popular with British royalty."
https://buickclub.org.au/100-years-of-buick/
Old 10-30-2020, 09:44 AM   #32
Will N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Absolutely LOVE it. Thanks for sharing. BTW, I git a chuckle out of "Will N"'s "english lesson". I find it interesting what little things get under peoples skin. For me, it's when people say "RPM's" rather that "RPM". It's a measure of revolutions not minutes.

So, what is the correct plural of RPM? RsPM? Doesn't roll off the tongue too well
Old 10-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #33
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
So, what is the correct plural of RPM? RsPM? Doesn't roll off the tongue too well
RPM IS plural.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #34
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post

didnt expect such positive comments on the Buick, being a ford site and had a little trepidation about posting......... thank you.

I also like your car, am particularly fond of cars/trucks with "patina", farmer fixes, etc. I do like all types including restored and modified. I just like to look at patina, they seem to tell a story and usually there is more to talk about with the owner.

I think your Buick is special, you just do not see many, especially in that condition. Kind of has a do not mess with me look to it with the wood spoke wheels, the paint, and the bigger tires. In my imagination looks like something a Chicago gangster would have.

I think you will find most A owners like any brand of old car/truck, it is just our preference and time period is the A.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:59 PM   #35
john charlton

Canadian Buicks were very popular in South Africa when I was a boy .My next door neighbour had a 1948 Buick Special I seem to remember it had a straight 8 "Fire Dome" engine . After school I made pocket money by working at Mr de Beers garage which was a short bike ride from my house . I remember the prewar Buicks had the "Du bonnet" (I might have spelt that wrong) knee action front suspension . This setup did not like rough roads and began to display a marked splayed stance . Mr de Beer did a beam axle conversion using a junkyard beam axle and fore and aft springs which seemed to work quite well . In Camps Bay a lady had a cream 1948 Buick convertable with tartan seats I did lust after the car but not the owner as I must have been about 14 yrs old and I must have got my priorities right at an early age !!!

John in windy evening Suffolk County England .
Old 11-01-2020, 03:02 PM   #36
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
With all due respect “ Ford Barn “ is not a spelling contest so the vast majority of us could care less whether you dragged or drugged or whatever. We got the message and that’s all that matters!
Old 11-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #37
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
With all due respect “ Ford Barn “ is not a spelling contest so the vast majority of us could care less whether you dragged or drugged or whatever. We got the message and that’s all that matters!

OTOH, I've seen posts where the wrong word changes the meaning to the exact opposite of what the poster intended.

And with all due respect, lose the bold font in your posts. We get the message without it.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:07 PM   #38
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
OTOH, I've seen posts where the wrong word changes the meaning to the exact opposite of what the poster intended.

And with all due respect, lose the bold font in your posts. We get the message without it.
the bold font is for those seniors with diminished eyesight and it will continue.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #39
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
the bold font is for those seniors with diminished eyesight and it will continue.
Actually the bold print makes it harder for my poor old eyes to focus on. So I skip over your posts.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:31 PM   #40
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Actually the bold print makes it harder for my poor old eyes to focus on. So I skip over your posts.
If you google the subject matter you will find that bold print on a white background is recommended for older people with diminished sight. So as I said previously I will continue to post in a bold font. .

Last edited by McMimmcs; 11-01-2020 at 09:56 PM.
Closed Thread