Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #1
pinball73

Default Two tooth stearing box

Ok, a few months ago I had a post on hear about having a problem with getting the free play/slack out of my seven tooth steering sector/box! I was advised to remedy the problem too install a two tooth box. well I have acquired one & gone thru it completely & I am in the process of dry fitting it on the bench. my question is the screw driver slotted stud at the bottom. I think I understand it's purpose but not for Shure! if I am correct you adjust it in conjunction with the cam nut with the cone in it, trying to get the best alignment possible between the two gears! am I any where close on what it is for? one other question! in the bottom of the sector where the light switch goes! lust above that plate there is a concave washer, looks like it goes on the bottom of the steering shaft gear! I can't see any useful purpose for it! what is it there for?
pinball73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:05 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Two tooth stearing box

I would suggest a good repair manual as well as the Service Bulletins.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:06 PM   #3
Brentwood Bob

The best explanation for the adjustments, and the assembly I have found is in the service bulletins. For the 2 tooth, on pages 318-322, and 363.
Did not look in les Andrews red manual, probably covered there also.
Are you reusing the worm and sector?
What housing?
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #4
dennis lumbert

The eccentric adjusting sleeve it is used to adjust gear to gear play to zero at the exact center of the steering wheel full rotation(full rotation is 3 turns so center is 1 1/2 turns from either left or right end.Then the screw driver slot adjustment is used to center sector gear on the crown of the worm gear.Adjust the slot adjustment until the play that developes 1/2 turn to the right and 1/2 turn to the left of center is the same amount.
Be careful not to adjust the gear to gear clearance tighter than zero clearance or maybe just an ever so slightly detectable amount of play .After the crown is centered with the slot adjustment the eccentric adjustment needs to be rechecked.
The steering shaft end play must be adjusted as well as the sector shaft end play before either one of the above described adjustments can be attempted .Sure hope this helps,I gave it my best shot, Dennis
dennis lumbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #5
dennis lumbert

The eccentric adjusting sleeve it is used to adjust gear to gear play to zero at the exact center of the steering wheel full rotation(full rotation is 3 turns so center is 1 1/2 turns from either left or right end.Then the screw driver slot adjustment is used to center sector gear on the crown of the worm gear.Adjust the slot adjustment until the play that developes 1/2 turn to the right and 1/2 turn to the left of center is the same amount.
Be careful not to adjust the gear to gear clearance tighter than zero clearance or maybe just an ever so slightly detectable amount of play .After the crown is centered with the slot adjustment the eccentric adjustment needs to be rechecked.
The steering shaft end play must be adjusted as well as the sector shaft end play before either one of the above described adjustments can be attempted .Sure hope this helps,I gave it my best shot, Dennis
dennis lumbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:38 PM   #6
pinball73

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis lumbert View Post

well it sounds like I am on the right rack! just not there yet! thanks guys for the information. I am still playing with it & it seems to me it is going to be better than my seven tooth ever thought about being
Old 03-23-2020, 05:34 AM   #7
David R.

Andrews book gives a pretty good description of the adjustments. It takes a little time to get it right. Trial and error. Recheck and re adjust. I had to replace just about everything in mine. It is like new now!
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:20 AM   #8
ryanheacox

Just FYI, I would suggest adjusting the box before paint. I rebuilt mine last month and the eccentric stud was frozen solid, needed a torch and vice grips to get it moving... so then I had to repaint.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:11 AM   #9
old31

The very best book I have found on the 2 tooth is this book starting on page 433.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (13.9 KB, 21 views)
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:18 AM   #10
pinball73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
Just FYI, I would suggest adjusting the box before paint. I rebuilt mine last month and the eccentric stud was frozen solid, needed a torch and vice grips to get it moving... so then I had to repaint.

that is a good idea! I am not ready for paint yet! I am still doing a dry run on the bench
Old 03-23-2020, 08:49 AM   #11
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
The very best book I have found on the 2 tooth is this book starting on page 433.
I believe that is Victor Page's book. One of the first "do it yourself" books.

I have the same book. My binding has deteriorated, pages loose, so I took it all apart, cleaned the cement off the page lock side of the pages, punched it for a small 5 ring binder and have used it extensively over 40 years.

Somebody put grease on the margins of all the pertinent pages. Who would do that?

Joe K
Old 03-23-2020, 11:12 AM   #12
duke36

Did you buy the aftermarket tube that extends up into the shaft? It helps keep lube form leaking out the bottom into the light switch. The horn rod passes thru the tube.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:34 PM   #13
old31

Joe just today my binding came apart. My black Gorrila dust tape worked just fine.

Apparently I am not as organized as you.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote