Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
El Rat

Default 6 volt regulator kerfuffle

I seem to have recurring regulator problems. Most where caused by a 6 volt generator on steroids! However I need someone to explain this to me:
I can "jump" the generator (armature to field) and the generator makes 8+ volts quickly. In addition, it will run when the battery is disconnected...until I remove the "jumper" then it dies immediately. Why does the engine die when running thru a "suspect" regulator but not when jumped? I just don't get it! Comments appreciated, Thanks gene
El Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:25 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 6 volt regulator kerfuffle

The Ford manuals list a number of voltage regulator test, have you performed these yet? A jumper from Armature to field would by-pass the voltage limiter, so it is possible that the voltage limiter is not working. The engine should run off of just the battery, so if the regulator is killing the engine it must be shorting out the ignition circuit.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:45 PM   #3
russcc

Some kind EV8 Fordbarn soul posted a great old time primer by Standard Parts on regulator components, and how they work. Do a search you will probably turn it up.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:07 AM   #4
koates

Hi El Rat, If you connect the field terminal to the armature terminal and rev the engine a little, then disconnect the battery and the engine still runs then the ignition is being powered by the generator. This is a farm yard test to prove if the generator is working but not a good or recommended test. Linking the field and armature terminals at the gen or v/reg bypasses the voltage and current controls inside the reg. The cut out inside the regulator box still operates. There are laid down procedures for testing and adjusting generators and regulators and disconnecting the battery while the engine is running is not one of them. Does the ammeter show some sort of a charge when you rev the engine up ? More specific info on your problem is required. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:42 AM   #5
El Rat

Hi gents...
Appreciate the feed back. I pretty much know all of the "tests" I just thought it interesting that an engine with working dynamo would die instantly when the arm/field jumper was removed and the battery disconnected. I am someone who "gots to know" regardless some Fordbarn 6 volt regulator genius will comment.
Thanks Gene
El Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:55 AM   #6
rotorwrench

It all boils down to whether rated power is getting to the ignition coil or not. No power to the coil and it's engine off. A generator needs power to function since it will only generate a very small amount of electrical energy on residual magnetism. Disconnecting the battery takes away all but the residual magnetism in the pole shoes. While it is enough to close the cut out, I don't think that's enough to run an ignition system.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote