Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
56 ford custom

Default 1956 ford 2dr sedan mainline side molding clip set (where to buy)

I am looking for a complete side molding clip set for my 1956 2dr sedan mainline. It needs to be complete and with instructions.
56 ford custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
JeffB2

Default Re: 1956 ford 2dr sedan mainline side molding clip set (where to buy)

This place is your best bet http://www.restorationspecialties.com/products.htm
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
56 ford custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post
Thanks jeff, I will have to give them a call today.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
frank long island

restoration specialties is a great compamy for the hard to find clips and hardware a little pricey but worth it i do'nt think you are going to get instructions so see if you can get a build book of your car or find someone on here that has done your project before
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
56 ford custom

I have been trying to find the right clips for this stainless and I am still not having very good luck at it.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
raceron1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56 ford custom View Post
I have been trying to find the right clips for this stainless and I am still not having very good luck at it.
Do you have pics of the clips you need - even if they're damaged? I have several boxes of leftovers from my '56 Victoria, perhaps some of them are the same.

I bought most of them from Motor City Fastener in Detroit, and I also have a book with illustrations of many others from them and some other vendors as well.

Ron
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
rick55

You are obviously aware that Mainlines did not come with chrome trim.
The problem with restoration specialties you need to know what the clips look like and then find them in their catalogue. They are the undeniably the best resource for clips but finding what you want is sometimes pretty hard. Tee Bird Products sell complete molding kits for the two types of chrome trim on 56's. The Customline style which is more like the 55 Customline with the flash molding on the rear doors with Customline pressed in. Their kit number for the Customline is B29040CK and is $89.00. The other is the Fairlane trim which swoops off the top of the guard with the wide molding on the rear quarter. Tee Bird Products sell this complete kit B29040BK for $55.60.
These are great people to deal with and their prices are about the same as everyone else.
Hope this helps.
Regards

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
raceron1120

If you have a copy of the Ford parts book, the molding kits are listed up near the front of the book. Your Mainline is probably a body style 70A or maybe 70C; the clips listing identifies the kits by the moldings they retain. I'd guess that any of the sources listed here can either cross reference the Ford #s, or perhaps they still even sell them using the Ford part #s.

I didn't look, but perhaps the Ford Service Manual provides basic installation instructions for the moldings & clips. Some are retained with capscrews in back, others use barrell clips, some might be riveted - not sure about all of them.

If you don't have a copy of the parts book, Retrojim has had them for sale on CD.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
darrell

early 56 mainline did not have trim later ones did.there was also a dealer installed trim kit which added a piece which allowed a paint strip between.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
56 ford custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
You are obviously aware that Mainlines did not come with chrome trim.
The problem with restoration specialties you need to know what the clips look like and then find them in their catalogue. They are the undeniably the best resource for clips but finding what you want is sometimes pretty hard. Tee Bird Products sell complete molding kits for the two types of chrome trim on 56's. The Customline style which is more like the 55 Customline with the flash molding on the rear doors with Customline pressed in. Their kit number for the Customline is B29040CK and is $89.00. The other is the Fairlane trim which swoops off the top of the guard with the wide molding on the rear quarter. Tee Bird Products sell this complete kit B29040BK for $55.60.
These are great people to deal with and their prices are about the same as everyone else.
Hope this helps.
Regards
My mainline did infact come with side stainless molding but it didnt come with the extra strip for the paint devider. I dont have any books or illustration for this car. I dont know the part numbers. Im just trying to hunt down the clips so that I can get this car ready and put back together.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #11
rick55

There is a good illustration of the clips and moulings fitted to 56 Mainlines in the Ford Parts Manual Page 779. I have a disc with PDF of the parts catalogues. RetoJim on the HAMB site sells copies of the same disc. Shows everything you need with Ford numbers.
Sorry to mislead you , getting mixed up with the 55.
Regards

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
Old 02-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
56 ford custom

Rick55, thank you soo much! That is exactly what I needed. Now I just need to figure out how many of each since the car is nowhere near me. I need to know the amount and all that for restoration specialties.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #13
Hunter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick55 View Post

There is a good illustration of the clips and moulings fitted to 56 Mainlines in the Ford Parts Manual Page 779. I have a disc with PDF of the parts catalogues. RetoJim on the HAMB site sells copies of the same disc. Shows everything you need with Ford numbers.
Sorry to mislead you , getting mixed up with the 55.
Regards
I can't figure out which clips are what on restoration specialties website. And, the clips that are this style on their site have no description with size/etc.
Hunter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #14
rick55

I had the same problem when I bought clips for my 55 Customline.
I eventually bought the clip kits that TeeBird Products listed as complete kits.
The clips they sold for the belt line moulds were a universal nylon clip that was virtually useless. I managed to buy some off eBay and reuse a couple of my originals.
From memory, restoration specialities only list a few varieties if clips listed for 56s so as you live in the sates you could just purchase their listed examples and compare with what you need and order the quantity you need. That option isn't really open to us on the other side of the globe due to time and postage costs.
Good luck

Quote:
Henry Ford