Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2022, 11:55 AM   #1
BillCNC

Default Raspberry Pi anyone?

Hey All,

I bought a Raspberry Pi 4, 8G when they first came out and haven't really played with it much. I also bought an Elegoo 2560 project kit. I bought them to interact with my grandson, but his eye's glaze over when I pull it out so I have a question for you all.

How can I incorporate the Pi into my Model "A" Tudor? The car is 6v positive ground.

I'd like to have Wi-fi, Bluetooth, some way to read engine temp, GPS and a small screen to view the information. The screen can be stored under the front seat and pulled out when needed. Perhaps a wireless screen? I also want to install some small speakers between the headliner and the roof in the four corners.

Inside the car must look completely stock, is any of this possible?

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 12:21 PM   #2
woofa.express

Default Re: Raspberry Pi anyone?

Am I correct in thinking a Raspberry and those other gadgets you mention are electronic toys?
I try to get my grandson away from electronic / computer stuff and get him outside the house. Kids need to get some turkey shit between their toes. Motorbikes, skateboards, yard chores etc. Buy him a slug gun and teach him how to shoot, but not an AK47. Do teach him to enjoy your Model A. Find a paddock or unused track and teach him to drive your Model A.
Cheers and best wishes in building a relationship with your grandson and other grandkids also. Gary.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 12:47 PM   #3
BillCNC

Raspberry Pi is a full on computer not much larger than a business card and very, very inexpensive. The hard drive is a Micro SD card. You can change computers and operating systems just by swapping out the Micro SD card. The freedom is like no other.

https://www.raspberrypi.org

Regards
Bill
Old 11-18-2022, 12:58 PM   #4
TomInCologne

my other hobby is programming microcontrollers and i am, whenever i have the spare time, working on a on-board-diagnose system for the Model A. Yes, nothing for the faint hearted traditionalists but i have fun doing it.

What can be achieved is a gps system showing the gps position, gps-speed, altitude, oil temperature, water temperature, ambient temperature, engine rpm,... All communication via Can-Bus.

The oldest car in the world with a Can-Bus...
TomInCologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 01:21 PM   #5
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomInCologne View Post

What can be achieved is a gps system showing the gps position, gps-speed, altitude, oil temperature, water temperature, ambient temperature, engine rpm,... All communication via Can-Bus.

Tom,

I can understand how you could get music to wireless speakers, gps position, gps speed and altitude with the Pi. What sensors would you need for oil temp, water temp, ambient temp, and engine temp? Would they be wireless sensors? What is Can-Bus?

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 02:21 PM   #6
BillCNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Tom,

What sensors would you need for oil temp, water temp, ambient temp, and engine temp? Would they be wireless sensors?

David Serrano
With Thermistors. As far as wireless, I'm not that far along with it yet to know.

Regards
Bill
Old 11-18-2022, 02:25 PM   #7
BillCNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomInCologne View Post
my other hobby is programming microcontrollers and i am, whenever i have the spare time, working on a on-board-diagnose system for the Model A. Yes, nothing for the faint hearted traditionalists but i have fun doing it.

Hi Tom,

Do you have a functional unit yet? Would you mind sharing your research/links?

Regards
Bill
Old 11-18-2022, 03:16 PM   #8
johnneilson

can bus is a standard serial communication network protocol.
it is used as a standard in many cars and industrial control systems.

RasPi's, Arduino and others are very versatile and great for experimentation.
Just don't try to get one certified as a security device, especially with the Gov.

John
Old 11-18-2022, 06:01 PM   #9
31Cabriolet68-C

Could any of these gadgets be used to create wireless turn indicators?
31Cabriolet68-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 06:44 PM   #10
Keith True

They've been around for years.I have a wireless light bar,it has it's own battery,and hangs on the back of anything I'm towing.I've moved lots of storage trailers with no working lights.The transmitter plugs into the light cord on the tractor,and you just kind of hang it off the pogo stick.They make small ones too,just a couple of lights with magnetic bases,and their own batteries.The sender plugs into the trucks trailer plug.I buy from a trailer supply,but I believe Tractor Supply sells them too.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 04:08 AM   #11
TomInCologne

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Tom,

I can understand how you could get music to wireless speakers, gps position, gps speed and altitude with the Pi. What sensors would you need for oil temp, water temp, ambient temp, and engine temp? Would they be wireless sensors? What is Can-Bus?

David Serrano

I personally wouldn't use a Pi as i prefer a microcontroller, i feel that's more basic. With an STM32 you can basically use any sensor that is a available, be it thermistor based and you check the resistance or a more intelligent sensor, like a DHT22, giving you ambient temperature and humidity.

A 'Can-Bus', as has been explained by others, is a communication protocol which is used in all modern cars. It is very robust and will have no problems with Model As electromagnetic disturbances.
Old 11-19-2022, 04:16 AM   #12
TomInCologne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
Hi Tom,

Do you have a functional unit yet? Would you mind sharing your research/links?

Regards
Bill

No, mostly just a concept in me head.

- i have already produced a GPS-sensor board with a BN-180 GPS, an STM32 and a Can-Bus-driver module. This seems to work fine. i used an RJ45 connector as i think using an Ethernet cable will be robust and cheap enough for CAN-Bus and electrical supply. This board is in a §D-printed casing and i think it can be hidden next to the dome light in my Fordor.

- i have a concept for a main board for the dash. I want to use an existing discovery board with a 7" Touch Display (basically because i have two of those available). I want to put this into a 3D printed casing as well, with magnets on the back so it can be taken off with no problems and the car will look original.

- apart from the usual water temp, oil temp, pressures and so on, one could also put in a Lambda sensor in the exhaust...

So, at the moment not much more than a concept and idea with a few bits of hardware and software. If only i had more time...
Old 11-19-2022, 04:17 AM   #13
TomInCologne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Cabriolet68-C View Post
Could any of these gadgets be used to create wireless turn indicators?

Sure, the discovery boards i want to use have an accelerometer built into them. You could use that... Or you mount a sensor on the steering column...
Old 11-19-2022, 04:44 AM   #14
Bruce of MN

Maybe a servo motor on the spark lever that monitors vacuum, throttle position, rpm, etc.?
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 07:33 AM   #15
TomInCologne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post
Maybe a servo motor on the spark lever that monitors vacuum, throttle position, rpm, etc.?

...or even better a knock sensor..

No, more automation is not my point, more information is...
Old 11-19-2022, 09:27 AM   #16
GPierce

I love my Model A because of its mechanically simple and easy to work on and fix.
I just can’t see complicated electronic systems as an improvement.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:14 PM   #17
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPierce View Post
I love my Model A because of its mechanically simple and easy to work on and fix.
I just can’t see complicated electronic systems as an improvement.
Ditto
Old 11-19-2022, 08:39 PM   #18
eagle

One thing to remember when doing ANY modifications. Document, document, document!!! Make a documentation paper and attach it somewhere that the next user will be able to find it. The best custom system in the world without proper documentation is scrap for the garbage to the next guy. Same goes for hydraulic brakes, automatic advances, signal light kits, etc,etc,etc.
Old 11-20-2022, 06:40 AM   #19
TomInCologne

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
One thing to remember when doing ANY modifications. Document, document, document!!! Make a documentation paper and attach it somewhere that the next user will be able to find it. The best custom system in the world without proper documentation is scrap for the garbage to the next guy. Same goes for hydraulic brakes, automatic advances, signal light kits, etc,etc,etc.

all modifications will be invisible, and they are reversible without any problems.

I like the simplicity and originality of my Fordor as well, and i wouldn't put any different gear box, hydraulic brakes, different steering gear, or similar on it. That would be 'changing the originality' of the A...
Old 11-20-2022, 09:59 AM   #20
BillCNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomincologne View Post
all modifications will be invisible, and they are reversible without any problems.

I like the simplicity and originality of my fordor as well, and i wouldn't put any different gear box, hydraulic brakes, different steering gear, or similar on it. That would be 'changing the originality' of the a...
1000%

Regards
Bill
Old 11-26-2022, 08:10 PM   #21
woofa.express

Save a headache. Read this. Computers already installed.

It seems many readers are interested in this “raspberry” and how it can help manage the systems in their Model A. Are these the people who take their mobile phone to dinner parties or weddings? Probably?

If you want computer managed systems I can help you. I have listed motorcars made by only 3 of many manufacturers: Ford, General Motors and Chrysler. This list is only a small selection of what is available and a purchase of any will save the computer desiring motorist considerable headache. They have computers already installed before they are displayed on the show room floor. Just think of the Hassel this is going to save.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 11.28.34.jpg (16.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 11.30.27.jpg (20.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 11.29.49.jpg (19.0 KB, 1 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote