Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2022, 09:07 AM   #1
atch

Default 3-D printing Model A engine parts

Some youngster over on the H.A.M.B. has figured out how to 3-D print (in plastic) Model A parts and then use that to make a mold to cast the actual piece. This stuff is WAY over my head, but it looks interesting. Maybe this technology can help keep more Model A's on the road or help to restore some.

So far it looks like he's doing engine parts, but there might be other "hard" parts that could be reproduced this way. Think steering column drops etc.

Here's a link to the H.A.M.B. post:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...nting.1260025/

While I am aware that the H.A.M.B. is a hot rod site, and some on here don't like hot rods, I also know that many folks belong to both sites. Me for instance. While I have a Model A hot rod project, I also belong to the Mid Missouri Model A Restorers Club. As the name says, it is a restorers' club. I like original Model A's and am actively searching for an all-original Model A to use and keep original.

I'm hoping that posting this link will be helpful to some of you; either to contact this fella or to do similar projects.

b-t-w; you'll note that I don't make many posts on here, but I sign on just about every day and read LOTS of stuff here. I have found the information contained herein to be most interesting and helpful.
atch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:13 AM   #2
burner31

Default Re: 3-D printing Model A engine parts

Finally, some technology that might actually be useful
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:11 AM   #3
TomInCologne

Jay Leno has been 3d-printing a new valve cover for one of his cars out of metal. If it's okay for him, it will be okay for me. Also, Airbus is 3d-printing turbine parts...

We, in our company, will be investing in a 3d-metal-printer round about by the end of the year. I am sooooo looking forward to it.

Edit: Found a link to the video: https://youtu.be/LYQ2PiX_Z9o?t=252

Last edited by TomInCologne; 08-25-2022 at 10:40 AM.
TomInCologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:26 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

We have a small 3D printer here at our shop. We have found several uses for it in the restoration world. Making moulds to cast rubber parts on orphan or obsolete vehicles being restored is one scenario. Making dies for pressing sheetmetal to fabricate Model-A sheetmetal repair panels in correct shapes is another. (-picture below of some we just made) Someone recently posted about prototyping a turn signal switch in which they used a 3D printer to do some testing.

While the technology of 3D printing is really coming on, where the talent is IMHO is that the young man is drawing up the parts. For example, when you are casting aluminum parts, it has a shrinkage rate of about 3/16th of an inch per foot, so the kid must draw the core in oversized dimensions to be able to account for the shrinkage as the molten metal cools. THAT takes talent if you are reproducing the part accurately in aesthetics and specification. On the flip side, if the item is to be machined out of billet, then the part must be drawn in actual size so the two drawings are not really interchangeable.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sheetmetal dies.jpg (35.6 KB, 122 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:21 PM   #5
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by atch View Post
Some youngster over on the H.A.M.B. has figured out how to 3-D print (in plastic) Model A parts and then use that to make a mold to cast the actual piece. This stuff is WAY over my head, but it looks interesting. Maybe this technology can help keep more Model A's on the road or help to restore some.

So far it looks like he's doing engine parts, but there might be other "hard" parts that could be reproduced this way. Think steering column drops etc.

Here's a link to the H.A.M.B. post:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...nting.1260025/

While I am aware that the H.A.M.B. is a hot rod site, and some on here don't like hot rods, I also know that many folks belong to both sites. Me for instance. While I have a Model A hot rod project, I also belong to the Mid Missouri Model A Restorers Club. As the name says, it is a restorers' club. I like original Model A's and am actively searching for an all-original Model A to use and keep original.

I'm hoping that posting this link will be helpful to some of you; either to contact this fella or to do similar projects.

b-t-w; you'll note that I don't make many posts on here, but I sign on just about every day and read LOTS of stuff here. I have found the information contained herein to be most interesting and helpful.
Sent to wrong person sorry about that!
Old 08-25-2022, 06:41 PM   #6
Synchro909

It has been several years now since this was done for the first time (2016-17). A restoration workshop in this state was brought the only surviving Delage Grand Prix car (1914 vintage). The block had been cracked and repaired so many times that this time, it was a gonner but the owner knew he had an irreplaceable piece of history. Fortunately, he had pockets deep enough to pay for the cracked block to be scanned on the outside, hen cut up so that the internal passages could be scanned. From that, the cores were made and the mould produced. The first new block was cut up to make sure everything inside was OK, then the final one was cast and machined. It is a truly wonderful car, years ahead of its time but that was Delage. It even has desmodromic valves
Here is a link to a 2017 article about it.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-...ix-car/8310958

Last edited by Synchro909; 08-25-2022 at 06:51 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:48 PM   #7
nkaminar

Brent, Solidworks has a utility to scale up solid models to account for shrinkage. It does it automatically. Solidworks also has a utility for making molds from solid models, although it is more complicated and some experience is needed by the designer.

People have been 3D printing houses out of concrete.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 08-25-2022 at 09:00 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 12:51 PM   #8
todd3131

Since were talking 3d printing I thought you would like to see these I took them at the International manufacturing Technology Show in 2016. The vases are steel and were made by CNC wirefeed type tool The jeep body and interior is all printed the frame was original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160916_114612361.jpg (82.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160916_112701733.jpg (40.6 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160916_112642413.jpg (61.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160916_112650740.jpg (66.8 KB, 83 views)
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 01:13 PM   #9
1930artdeco

Todd,

To me that JEEP is awesome! But, I see the printing lines on the inner fender well but not on the outside. Were they able to polish them out to make them smooth?

Mike
Old 08-26-2022, 01:18 PM   #10
SDJason

Wow - thanks everyone for sharing - I think I'm most impressed by that 3D-printed Jeep!
Technology will only keep advancing - this bodes well for being able to maintain older things (including our Model As) into the future.
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 03:56 PM   #11
todd3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
Todd,

To me that JEEP is awesome! But, I see the printing lines on the inner fender well but not on the outside. Were they able to polish them out to make them smooth?

Mike
It looked like they sanded filled and painted it and then left the unpainted areas to prove they printed it. These came from 2016 show at mccormick in chicago
Old 08-26-2022, 08:01 PM   #12
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
We have a small 3D printer here at our shop. We have found several uses for it in the restoration world. Making moulds to cast rubber parts on orphan or obsolete vehicles being restored is one scenario. Making dies for pressing sheetmetal to fabricate Model-A sheetmetal repair panels in correct shapes is another. (-picture below of some we just made) Someone recently posted about prototyping a turn signal switch in which they used a 3D printer to do some testing.

While the technology of 3D printing is really coming on, where the talent is IMHO is that the young man is drawing up the parts. For example, when you are casting aluminum parts, it has a shrinkage rate of about 3/16th of an inch per foot, so the kid must draw the core in oversized dimensions to be able to account for the shrinkage as the molten metal cools. THAT takes talent if you are reproducing the part accurately in aesthetics and specification. On the flip side, if the item is to be machined out of billet, then the part must be drawn in actual size so the two drawings are not really interchangeable.

So what software, and how much does that cost? That seems ot be why I have not even fired up my starter 3-d printer.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 11:20 AM   #13
todd3131

My son uses a resin printer for his prototypes what is nice about it is there are no lines the pieces are smooth and can be cast from as it or painted without much sanding. We use solid works to create the files, I don't know what it costs for the program as it is part of our design suite of software.
Old 08-29-2022, 01:53 PM   #14
Alwaysamopar74

You guys are so impressed with this 3d printing...5 axis milling...live tooling lathes.. .A lot of us younger guys are impressed with the tool and die makers who made the dies and such to make these Model A's. Just think of the radiuses that had to be finished by hand with a file. Now that's impressive!
Alwaysamopar74 is offline   Reply With Quote