Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-06-2019, 10:54 PM   #1
chiliman

Default Fire wall swap

Gess Is time consuming and hard to replace fire wall any one do before
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:34 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Fire wall swap

Depends on the year model, -and your skill level as to the perceived difficulty. We have replaced several so I can probably walk you thru it if I know which year.

Why are you wanting to change firewalls? Is it because of damage or something else??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:36 AM   #3
Oldbluoval

Lots of spot welds to cut and several rivets
If you've removed both of those before and have the tools it’s not too bad
As per Brent, why??
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #4
john charlton

I bought a 31 Budd cab which had been cut to take a V8 . I drilled out the spot welds and the firewall came out easily . I bought a good unmolested indented cowl for $100 and MIG welded it in . The factory spot welder leaves dimples so it is easy to see and then drill out .The donor firewall had the same spacing so it was easy to plugweld the connection . The only clue is there are now no 3 waffle rivets at the bottom where the cowl meets the frame just plug buttons . Fore and aft register is maintained by the rad tie rods to the cowl if you note where they were before you start .

John in overcast Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
Joe31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliman View Post
Gess Is time consuming and hard to replace fire wall any one do before
I have a 30 31 firewall if you need one, Thanks Joe
Joe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:38 PM   #6
chiliman

Replacing because some one cut out for v8 it is s late 31 indented thanks
Old 07-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

chiliman,

A picture of your firewall would probably answer a lot of questions and save a lot of conversations.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #8
chiliman

Not sure how to put pic on here
Old 07-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #9
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliman View Post
Not sure how to put pic on here
If you want to get some up quick check your PM's for my email and email the pictures to me and you can then go to the test forum (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13) to practice at your leisure. What camera and computer are you using? The instructions from the FAQ section follow:

How do I attach a file to a post?
To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.
On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.
To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.
Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.
What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?
In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.
How do I add an image to a post?
If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.
To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #10
rotorwrench

The indented firewall may be more difficult to find but they still made near a quarter to half million of them. A person can take the whole thing out but they can also clean it up and weld in just the part that was removed unless they cut right up to the edges and took most of it out. If you still have all the indented part for the fuel spigot, you could use one of the new 30/31 flat firewalls to build a good one if you want to keep it original. It just depends on how much is still there.

It's relatively easy to get to both sides for hammer & dolly work after the gas tank is out of the way. A lot of folks love the million spot weld method with a wire feed welder but I just use an aircraft type oxy/acetylene torch with the small tips then weld a little bit at a time. When you can get to both sides, it makes the job a lot easier. If the fit is close, a person doesn't even need filler rod but it's not a bad idea to keep some RG45 around. Wire feed rod it too hard so it has to be ground down. RG45 is soft enough that is will hammer flat pretty easy. Hammer welding is old school but it works well if you master it.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote