Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-26-2021, 07:33 PM   #1
Model A Ron

Default Marvel Mystery Oil in Crankcase

I have been using Marvel Mystery oil in my gas for years but I never used it in the crankcase. On the bottle is states replace up to 20% of oil with MMO.

Has anyone been using Mystery Oil in the crankcase?

Ron
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:17 PM   #2
HD Rider

Default Re: Marvel Mystery Oil in Crankcase

I'm pretty firm on no oil additives ever. But then no one ever listens to me.
HD Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:09 AM   #3
Jack Shaft
BANNED

It's a solvent/lubricant it works well cleaning things like the main bearing tubes.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:16 AM   #4
rotorwrench

MMO will soften hard carbon such as the carbon that builds on engine valves. Since it has a solvent in its make up, I would advise that a person not use any more than recommended in the instructions for use. If used on an old engine with a lot of crud build up inside the crankcase, be prepared to change the oil more often since it will dislodge a lot of crud and that stuff will be mixing in with the engine oil.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:27 AM   #5
WHN

We have used for years in our gas only. It has really done a good job at reducing valve noise on older engines.

Having said that. I would not add to my engine oil. Drop the oil pan and clean everything including the oil pump completely. Than I would just start using a good quality high detergent oil, and change often.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:09 AM   #6
rfitzpatrick

Has anyone been using Mystery Oil in the crankcase?

Ron[/QUOTE]

YES, and it led to a knock. Since I've switched away, so has that knock.
Tho I'll need more time to know that for sure.
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:51 AM   #7
Bob Bidonde

Every time a discussion about MMO is posted, many claims of the goodness it does for a motor come up. However, not once have I seen any proof of those hearsay claims. So for those who say MMO has any value in the gas tank / in the crankcase, lets see the proof.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:48 AM   #8
Model A Ron

When I added a Mikes oil filter I did see some film buildup in the valve area. I would not call it full blown sludge as it was minor and I wiped it out. That said I am sure I have the same film buildup in the pan. I was thinking of removing a quart of oil and adding MMO. Then go for a 20 or 30 mile drive and do an oil change to flush it out. I think that's a loot better than adding kerosene for a flush like some have said.

Last edited by Model A Ron; 04-26-2021 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:51 AM   #9
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Every time a discussion about MMO is posted, many claims of the goodness it does for a motor come up. However, not once have I seen any proof of those hearsay claims. So for those who say MMO has any value in the gas tank / in the crankcase, lets see the proof.
I can’t show you proof but I can again tell this story.

41 years ago we found a 1929 Model A Sport Coupe in a barn in Central New York. It had been there since the sixties. The body was in great shape, car was complete, just had been sitting for years.

We put a battery and some gas in the car and it started right up. Clutch was rusted to the fly wheel otherwise I would have driven it home. I was planning on rebuilding engine at the same time we replaced the clutch. Engine was making a lot of noise. No knock, but really noisy.

To make a long story short. We check compression before pulling engine, they were all in the mid 60’s. Pulled engine, replaced timing gear, rebuilt distributor, replaced water pump, rebuilt generator, remover pan and cleaned pan and oil pump, checked underside of engine, removed head and inspected valves and cylinders. Than put everything back together.

Car ran great but was still very, very noisy. I than put Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas. This was at the direction of my neighbor who was a Model T owner
He also owned a Ford Tractor dealership.

End of story. ALL the noise was gone within 100 miles. It is now 41 years later. Car has been painted, new top and interior, running gear completely done.

BUT! The engine has still not been rebuilt. It is just as smooth as it could be. No smoke, plenty of power, and comments from other car people at shows. Also many trophies.

I think it works for certain things. Noisy valves is one of them, and maybe sticking rings.

Sorry this took so long to tell. It’s my favorite Model A story.

Enjoy.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:37 AM   #10
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post

41 years ago we found a 1929 Model A Sport Coupe in a barn in Central New York. It had been there since the sixties. The body was in great shape, car was complete, just had been sitting for years.

We put a battery and some gas in the car and it started right up. Clutch was rusted to the fly wheel otherwise I would have driven it home. I was planning on rebuilding engine at the same time we replaced the clutch. Engine was making a lot of noise. No knock, but really noisy.

To make a long story short. We check compression before pulling engine, they were all in the mid 60’s. Pulled engine, replaced timing gear, rebuilt distributor, replaced water pump, rebuilt generator, remover pan and cleaned pan and oil pump, checked underside of engine, removed head and inspected valves and cylinders. Than put everything back together.

Car ran great but was still very, very noisy. I than put Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas. This was at the direction of my neighbor who was a Model T owner

End of story. ALL the noise was gone within 100 miles. It is now 41 years later. Car has been painted, new top and interior, running gear completely done.

BUT! The engine has still not been rebuilt. It is just as smooth as it could be. No smoke, plenty of power, and comments from other car people at shows. Also many trophies.

I think it works for certain things. Noisy valves is one of them, and maybe sticking rings.

Enjoy.

Great story so thank you. I use it in my gas and have been doing so for many years.....what about using it in the crankcase?
Old 03-27-2021, 11:45 AM   #11
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post

Enjoy.

Hmmm, The only two causes for "noisy valves" are either excessively loose tappet setting or worn valve guides. How can MMO do anything for loose tappets or worn guides/stems?? If anything, the detergent action will clean deposits off the valve stems, making them looser!
Having said that, I think MMO does help prevent wear. In 1953 my uncles bought a new Ford flathead. This was in the time when most cars needed a valve job around 50,000 miles or less, and at least a ring job around 80,000 miles (and you needed a ridge reamer to remove the ridge to get the pistons out).

But they used MMO in the gas and oil from day one. At well over 100,000 miles it began to smoke so they pulled it apart (for the first time). A wrist pin lock had broken and gouged one cylinder wall. Other than that the engine was in excellent shape. Hardly any ridge, no burned valves, crankshaft and bearings still good. Oh, and it got to overheating after driving a short distance because the radiator plugged up with scale (they used plain water in the summer) but no scoring on the cylinders or pistons from this! So I think MMO helps in keeping an engine clean and in preventing wear. But it can't replace worn metal!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:00 PM   #12
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
Great story so thank you. I use it in my gas and have been doing so for many years.....what about using it in the crankcase?
I would not use in the crankcase. Just good high detergent oil. The detergent will work over time.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:27 PM   #13
Chuck Sea/Tac

When my engine was new, it had a tick. I put in MMO and the tick went away. Next fill up I didn’t put it in, and the tick came back. Been using it ever since. 43,000 miles, and the upper end is like new.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:46 PM   #14
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
When my engine was new, it had a tick. I put in MMO and the tick went away. Next fill up I didn’t put it in, and the tick came back. Been using it ever since. 43,000 miles, and the upper end is like new.
I have heard a lot of good things about MMO.....How much do you put in with an oil change?
Old 03-28-2021, 06:40 AM   #15
noboD

I have no experience with it in a Model A, so you can disregard if you want. But when my son was in HS I bought him a cheap high mileage VW which is OHC with hydraulic lifters. It rattled terribly from sticky lifters. The night I brought it home we started it and let it idle with double MM in the oil. He washed and cleaned off all the bumper stickers, did the windows, vacuumed, etc. while it idled. By the time he was finished the idle was smooth. Changed oil and put in the amount on the bottle and it ran perfectly the year he drove it. It's been called snake oil by many. I believe in it and use it.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:31 AM   #16
rotorwrench

MMO has been recommended for use (as a fuel additive) in the small Continental aircraft 4-cylinder air-cooled engines for many years. The smaller general aviation aircraft can NOT pull off the side of the road if the engine starts to stick a valve. I don't need any more proof than that.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:41 AM   #17
KenBolton

I always wondered what the “ mystery” was. Have a bottle but have yet to use it. Used to use STP. For a high detergent cleaner is anything better than kerosine, diesel fuel or automatic trans fluid and if so, why?
KenBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:13 PM   #18
nhusa

MMO. How it works is a mystery, but it works and smells good too!
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:54 AM   #19
rotorwrench

They were just being honest about their proprietary formula for the stuff, as in it's a mystery about what it all is. Most fuel and oil additives are proprietary so that the formula can't be ripped off by some other company. Whether many others are worth ripping off is debatable.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:23 AM   #20
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBolton View Post
I always wondered what the “ mystery” was. Have a bottle but have yet to use it. Used to use STP. For a high detergent cleaner is anything better than kerosine, diesel fuel or automatic trans fluid and if so, why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhusa View Post
MMO. How it works is a mystery, but it works and smells good too!

Maybe this entire thread falls under the segment of 'If it seems believable, -then it must be factual!'.

On a more serious note, if Ron or someone feels their engine has sludge in it, then likely the most ignorant thing anyone can do is induce something to breakdown the solids and make the sludge mobile within the circulating oil. It would be safer IMO to leave it there as to get it floating where it could imbed in bearings. So if there is truly an issue with sludge, the most prudent thing would be to remove the pan and the valve chamber cover and clean it prior to running it again.

With regard to MMO being a mystery, don't kid yourself. The sophistication of sampling labs today are such that they can tell in 'parts per million' of a percentage of EXACTLY what EVERY substance is in a liquid. Most major oil companies have the testing labs and the cubic dollars to test each of their competitor's products to see if someone else has an advantage. If something is found, then you can bet each oil company will find a comparable product to put in their own product if it is needed. Therefore, what are you truly trying to accomplish adding MMO? Upper-lubes are great if you have a rusty valve stem that is sticky, ...however most engines that have been rebuilt by a reputable rebuilder within the last 25 years have stainless valves, so the stainless stems don't rust anyway.

As for MMO curing funny engine noises, I am struggling to think of something that would have enough excessive clearance to create a noise that could be eliminated if a product such as MMO was used. Since it is thinner than most motor oils, then I don't think it would cushion an excessive clearance. Any thoughts on what would be quieted simply by using MMO?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote