Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #1
mark180

Default Alternator to generator conversion

Presently I have one wire alternator in my ‘37 Tudor. It looks like crap in there. I bought a generator, had it converted to 12 V neg. ground. Am I right that can just swap the 2 out? No need to change any wiring? I will also be putting in a Fun Projects voltage regulator, but I know that is a separate subject,
mark180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Alternator to generator conversion

Depending on how it is currently wired there may be some changes required, but shouldn't be anything big. Just wire it back like the original Ford wiring. What is the alternator hot wire connected to now? They are often wired straight to the battery side of the starter solenoid, which would work with the generator. But IMO it would be better to connect it back (if it is not currently) to the fuse block. Both the battery connection from the starter solenoid and the generator should connect to the same terminal on the fuse block and the battery wire should loop through the ammeter on the way to the fuse block. That way you can monitor current flow to and from the battery, as it was designed originally.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #3
rotorwrench

If the OEM wiring was set up for a 3-brush generator with a cut out on top then the 12-volt conversion would have to be set up the same way. A fun projects cut out looking solid state regulator could be used as long as that is the way it was set up. Whom ever set it up should be able to answer the question.

If it has ground, field, and armature terminals as a two brush generator then it would need a 3-pole 12-volt regulator like a 56 Ford would've had.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #4
qmdv

i really dislike the look of a modern alternator on a flathead. I like the early 60's MOPAR

When somebody asks what it is I tell them an alternator off a 1960 Desoto. Then they really start scratching their head
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
clo

Whitney makes a alternator using the original generator housing.
clo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:55 AM   #6
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by clo View Post
Whitney makes a alternator using the original generator housing.
It is expensive, but they do a really nice job of making the final product look like an original - with a fake cutout on top as well. Nice people, nice products!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #7
Mart

It depends on how much of the original wiring was changed when the alternator was fitted.
the generator needs an appropriate regulator. I use the 30/35A types that are for Fords from about 1960 or so.

The original wiring diagram for the vehicle will show the correct connections for all the components.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:18 AM   #8
frank d kirkstad

I installed a one wire pos. ground alternator a number of years ago,the advantage was the alt. has an internal regulator and I didn't have to keep adjusting the third brush to match driving conditions.When Fun Products came out with the regulator I put my generator back on. I much prefer the look of a generator.Make sure the Fun Prod. unit is for 12 volt neg. ground.I don't see any wiring problems.You will find that getting the the regulator adjusted just right by moving the third brush takes a little patience.
Frank
frank d kirkstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:08 PM   #9
D. Jones

Guess I'm behind the times I can't see any reason to change from the 6 volt positive ground generator to anything different. My truck starts and runs just fine just like it did when new in 1945.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:30 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Jones View Post
Guess I'm behind the times I can't see any reason to change from the 6 volt positive ground generator to anything different. My truck starts and runs just fine just like it did when new in 1945.
Depends on what you are doing with it equipment wise. It is much easier to add modern electrical/electronic devices to a 12v neg ground system. If you are keeping it totally stock keeping it 6v pos is the easiest.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #11
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Jones View Post
That's because your truck, like my vehicles was maintained and repaired correctly as required. 6v. positive ground works just fine.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #12
mark180

Thanks for the responses. They will come in handy when I get the time to swap things out!
mark180 is offline   Reply With Quote