Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
jack99

Default Info on 1950 Ford dual exhaust conversion

Any tips on converting my 1950 ford to dual exhaust while retaining the origional stock manifolds? I want to use smithey's mufflers . Need advice as the length of mufflers and source of the various pipes. Any other info would be of help.
jack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
wyonorm

Default Re: Info on 1950 Ford dual exhaust conversion

If you want to retain the original ex. manifolds then the only solution I can think of is the way we all did it "back in the day" which was a U tube that went up from the front of the manifold and then back and then down around the shifting and clutch mechanism. Sounds complicated but it worked great for years.

As for muffler length, I like loud and so for me the shorter the muffler the better.

Your best source might be your local muffler/exaust pipe shop where they may construct your pipes to your specs for less money then the mail order pipes. Keep your tubing to 1.75 in. or less for best sound.
wyonorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

Jack 99,you not gonna be happy with the Smitties,they rot out quick and are made in China.Very poor quality. Buy Brockmans Google them. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:15 AM   #4
Bassman/NZ

According to the folks at Smithies, they're made in the US, not china.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:01 AM   #5
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

You need a left manifold like this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010001-1.jpg (34.2 KB, 153 views)
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:13 AM   #6
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

YOU COULD TRY RED'S HEADERS, here is a link with his info...

http://reds-headers.net/index.php?ma...roducts_id=171
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:32 AM   #7
TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl View Post
You need a left manifold like this...
I have one of these and a pair of 22" Smithy's I would be willing to part with, also the right hand side exhaust manifold with a block off plate installed.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:45 AM   #8
raceron1120

You might check out Porter Muffers too, they're heavy, steel vs fiberglass packs, and are US made. I put a set on my Yblock and they sound great, and with a lot of bark when I get on it.

If you can't find one elsewhere, Clark up at West End Welding in Minnesota (home of Porter Mufflers) might be able to help you out with the correct crossover/tube to use with your original manifolds too. Maybe give him a call? He's very helpful. I think his phone # is on their website.

He had a set of NOS Belond headers for my 292 so I got them along with a pair of mufflers from him. I wanted to also get a set for my next project ('47 superdeluxe) but he didn't have any flattie headers left.

He put a video and sound of dual porters on a '48 flattie on his website, you might want to check it out.

Here's the link to Porters: http://www.portermufflers.com/

And here's the YouTube video of '48:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjNYSbdq4Ek
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:47 AM   #9
Barry B./ Ma.

I bought a set for my 51 sedan back in the 80s from ARASCO and it mated to the stock manifolds. The left pipe came out above the frame then swept down to the chassis. Everything fit well. The set came with glasspac mufflers and sounded good. It's still on the car with a new owner altho some tailpipe sections have been replaced.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:24 AM   #10
Cecil/WV

My Smittys rusted out in 4 years and 5000 miles on my "50.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
c-gor

Suggest you contact Pat Rooney ([email protected]) he sells the left side cast iron manifold.
c-gor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #12
RCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyonorm View Post
If you want to retain the original ex. manifolds then the only solution I can think of is the way we all did it "back in the day" which was a U tube that went up from the front of the manifold and then back and then down around the shifting and clutch mechanism. Sounds complicated but it worked great for years.

As for muffler length, I like loud and so for me the shorter the muffler the better.

Your best source might be your local muffler/exaust pipe shop where they may construct your pipes to your specs for less money then the mail order pipes. Keep your tubing to 1.75 in. or less for best sound.
Brought this one back from its grave because I wanted to ask if this conversion (DIY dual) will affect any of the engine's components, like exhaust valves, in the long run.

Thanks
RCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
HCO41

I will also looking to duals on my '50 cc in the next month or so. When I first got the car, I noticed that Drake sells the left manifold. I wanted to find a source for the lead out pipes, mufflers (American made) and tailpipes. I called Waldron and they said they could supply all the pipes leading from the cast manifold, including my choice of one or two piece tailpipes.
Has anyone had experience with Waldron?
Howard
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
Flatkid8

Been running the cast drivers side manifold JDL has pictured above with a block off plate on the passenger side manifold inlet and dual Smithys on a 51 2 door since 2006 with no problems. There is no sign of rot in the mufflers and they sound great, has a slight rumble and a good mellow tone with minimal cackle. In my honest opinion the cast drivers manifold kit is the only way to go if you want to run true duals and keep a stock looking appearance. At first glance it blends right in and looks factory, they fit perfect and you don't have to worry about them lealking unlike headers. Bob Drake sells the kit (drivers cast manifold and passenger side inlet block off) for I believe in the $100 range.

Hope my .02 helps

Dennis
Flatkid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #15
HCO41

Dennis, What did you use for the left exhaust pipe? I sent an inquiry to Drake today asking if they supplied the pipe. There answer, "have an exhaust shop bend up the pipes for the left side". To me that takes the DIY out of the project. I have another inquiry into Waldron about an exhaust pipe for the Drake manifold. I know they sell the old 'loop type' pipe with a complete kit and they also sell all the pipes to hook up to Fenton cast headers. We'll see. Red's has complete kits with steel headers, I may go with them. I like one stop shopping!
Old 12-13-2013, 04:39 AM   #16
RCM

HCO41, why can't the pipes (DIY or shop bent) be hooked up to the stock left side exhaust manifold?
RCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #17
Cecil/WV

Kepich Exhaust sells the original left pipe for duals. I have one in my possession, but haven't had time to install, yet. It is made off of Pat Rooney's specs. Pat has the manifolds for both sides so you don't use the block off plate.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #18
Flatkid8

HC041...that's correct, to my knowledge Drake dosent sell the pipe and you would need to take it to an exhaust shop once you get the manifold on. I guess I am kind of curious as to why you are set on a prebent kit and opposed to having a good reputable exhaust shop do the job?

Dennis
Old 12-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #19
HCO41

RCM, I could hook up to stock manifold if I wanted to use the pipe that loops up from the front of the manifold which was the method used in the 50s. Waldron still sells this type of kit. I would prefer to use a manifold or headers that exit in the rear.
Flatkid8, if there's preformed pipes avaiable that are proven to be a good fit I'd just as soon go with them. That way I would have a source for replacement parts if needed. Waldron also makes a kit that hooks up to the Fenton cast iron headers. Reds Headers also makes a complete kit if I want to go with steel headers. I'm also going to look into the pipe supplied by Klepich (?), mentioned above. I'm not against having a shop bend up the pipes but if I can install them while putting the car together it would be more convenient, besides there's not any shops that do this work close by.
Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.
Howard
Old 12-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #20
Cecil/WV

Kepich left exhaust pipe was $74.00 delivered.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #21
hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCO41 View Post
RCM, I could hook up to stock manifold if I wanted to use the pipe that loops up from the front of the manifold which was the method used in the 50s. Waldron still sells this type of kit. I would prefer to use a manifold or headers that exit in the rear.
Flatkid8, if there's preformed pipes avaiable that are proven to be a good fit I'd just as soon go with them. That way I would have a source for replacement parts if needed. Waldron also makes a kit that hooks up to the Fenton cast iron headers. Reds Headers also makes a complete kit if I want to go with steel headers. I'm also going to look into the pipe supplied by Klepich (?), mentioned above. I'm not against having a shop bend up the pipes but if I can install them while putting the car together it would be more convenient, besides there's not any shops that do this work close by.
Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.
Howard

I'm also having a problem with the Left connecting pipe, between the tubing heather and the muffler.

It will not go in the opening in the "Y" part of the frame, because the clutch arm will hit. It does not seem right for it to go above or below the frame?????

I searched Klepich's web site, but cannot find the pipe listed.

If my picture posting will go thru i'll post what I'm talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (49.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (64.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (60.3 KB, 66 views)
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #22
HCO41

hope, are the pictures of a 1950 installation attempt? Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but it doesn't look familiar (from the living room chair).
Waldron got back to me and said they could supply a LH pipe, with their kit, to hook up to the Drake cast iron manifold. Still looking at Kepich. Red's is looking good at this point; complete kit inc. hangers, mufflers and good reputation.
Happy Holidays, Howard

Last edited by HCO41; 12-13-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #23
hope

Angry Re: Info on 1950 Ford dual exhaust conversion

Quote:
Hope, are the pictures of a 1950 installation attempt? Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but it doesn't look familiar (from the living room chair). Waldron got back to me and said they could supply a LH pipe, with their kit, to hook up to the Drake cast iron manifold. Still looking at Klepich (?). Red's is looking good at this point; complete kit inc. hangers, mufflers and good reputation.
Happy Holidays, Howard
HCO41 Darn it, I always forget(old age)to tell the year of my car. Its a 1940 Tudor.

I'm not looking for a kit, but for a possible left pipe to connect the tube heather to the muffler on a 1940.

Principally HOW to position it around or thru the frame area, I'm trying to make my own but its not working to good.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #24
HCO41

hope, no problem. With all the experience on this forum we can share our experiences and maybe save others time and money. I wish I had more to share. When I drove these cars for every day transportation I did minimum maintenance and they held up pretty good. If I couldn't find, or afford, the right pipe I'd cobb something up from flex pipe. Of course a month or so later I needed a new piece. All I remember was we had a lot of fun. Hope you find a pipe that works on that '40.
Happy holidays,
Howard
Old 12-14-2013, 02:57 AM   #25
Flatkid8

Howard

Beware of "guaranteed fit" manifolds and headers. Most companies say there product is a direct fit but more times than not this isn't exactly true. On a 49-51 the issue is almost always the left side clearing the steering box. I have a friend that has sent back 2 sets of tube headers for this very reason as we spent an entire afternoon trying to shoehorn them into his stock Flathead powered 50 sedan. The car was on a lift and we were also putting the engine in at the same time so we had the liberty of being able to raise and lower the engine for clearance while at the same time standing under the car trying to finesse every angle possible. After several hours it was obvious it was physically impossible to make the "guaranteed fit" headers fit without heavy modification due to hitting on the stock steering box. I have also heard bad things about modern Fenton manifolds and Reds seems to have a better reputation but are tube headers. I can however guarantee the Drakes LH manifold will fit like a glove and look factory to the untrained eye. For what its worth, I think you would be much better off buying a header or manifold that is known to fit and bend exhaust pipe to match as opposed to buying an exhaust pipe that mates to a header that doesn't fit as advertised. Looping the exhaust pipe over and back the left manifold is an option but will stick out like a sore thumb and looks tacky in my opinion. Good luck in whichever route you choose and im sure you will be happy with the duals regardless

Dennis
Old 12-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #26
hope

Quote:
hope, no problem. With all the experience on this forum we can share our experiences and maybe save others time and money. I wish I had more to share. When I drove these cars for every day transportation I did minimum maintenance and they held up pretty good. If I couldn't find, or afford, the right pipe I'd cobb something up from flex pipe. Of course a month or so later I needed a new piece. All I remember was we had a lot of fun. Hope you find a pipe that works on that '40.
Happy holidays,
Howard
Thanks.

I was hoping someone knew a way to connect an exhaust pipe from the tubing heather to the muffler, on a 1940 tudor.

Seems everything I attempt to do lately is extremely "difficult"
Old 12-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #27
Cecil/WV

I should have mentioned that I emailed Kepich and asked for the pipe and he answered the email. I never saw a listing. it is something new for him.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #28
hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
I should have mentioned that I emailed Kepich and asked for the pipe and he answered the email. I never saw a listing. it is something new for him.
So no information on that exhaust connecting pipe.

(someone must have had the same situation)??
Old 12-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #29
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope View Post
So no information on that exhaust connecting pipe.

(someone must have had the same situation)??
Yes, he answered me with a price and I ordered it and have it on hand, now.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #30
flatford8

HCO41....Is Red's making sets to fit the Shoe box cars now? I tried last spring ('13) to get them and he said he was training new welders and didn't have any made up. Same story mid-summer and a again in the fall......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #31
HCO41

Flathead8, That's what I get for ASSuming. I just went to Red's web site and couldn't find a listing for the shoe box cars. I sent them an email request for information about same. I'll copy reply when received.
Howard
Old 12-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #32
JeffB2

Call these guys:http://classicexhaustinc.com/contact.htm They show a complete dual system available call the number listed and ask for Scott Thompson also individual items are available too.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #33
flatford8

H CB 41 a guy named Jim's from Reds sent me some nice pictures how of how the Heathers would fit my 51 but the head is just weren't available I'm going to try the website Jeff B2 just posted
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #34
HCO41

Dennis, I just ordered the L.H. manifold from Drake, on sale, free shipping.
Before I ordered the manifold, I checked with John Kepich to see if he could supply a kit that included a left exhaust pipe that would bolt to Drake's manifold. He can supply the correct pipe. You must specify that you're using the Drake manifold when ordering.
It may be awhile, but once I install this setup I'll continue this thread with the results.
Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions. By the way, I haven't heard from Red's re. availability of steel headers for the 'shoe box' cars.
Howard
Old 12-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #35
hope

Quote:
Happy holidays,
Howard
Update on my problem. (connecting pipe)
Got a Curt negative reply from John Kepiche.

I give up, i'll make my own.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #36
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyonorm View Post

I have attached a couple of pictures of the U tube exhaust that was on my car when I first bought it. If you are interested, let me know and I can take additional pictures of it after it was take off the car....I still have it in a bin. I went the correct exhaust manifold route for my car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (88.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (84.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5127.jpg (77.9 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 12-18-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #37
Pat's 52

I'm Pat Rooney and I make the left side manifold (like the Douglas Foundry manifold made for 49-50-51 police cars). Also, I make the right side without the front opening. This gives you the look of a factory dual exhaust system. Send me an email and I can send you pictures.
Pat's 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #38
butchbov

I'm running Red's cheap tube headers with 26" Brockman's steel packs & they sound great! Don't they Dennis?

They've been on the car since 2005 & have about 45K miles on them with no signs of rusting out.

I love my Brockman's & they're made in Indiana.

In a world filled with stress it is better to give than to receive.
butchbov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #39
hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
I have attached a couple of pictures of the U tube exhaust that was on my car when I first bought it. If you are interested, let me know and I can take additional pictures of it after it was take off the car....I still have it in a bin. I went the correct exhaust manifold route for my car.
MercCruzer----Pat's 52

Thanks for your input, but if you read my previous posts you would see that I'm looking for routing the connecting pipe from the tubing exhaust (Drake) to the muffler on a 40 ford tudor.

I think you both are referring to a car in the 50"s, and don't believe the routing thru or around the frame is the same.

I invaded someone else's Posting with my similar problem, and for that I'm apologizing.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #40
HCO41

I have received the Drake LH manifold and am waiting for the pipes from Kepich. I still plan to post details of installation but, I have a question regarding outlet size of manifold from Drake. I thought it looked a little small, so I measured the outlet diameter. It measures 1-3/8". The front outlet on the stock, front outlet, LH manifold measures 1-5/8". Should I have a concern with restriction? Does anyone have a Rooney manifold they can measure for comparison? Comments please.
Thanks,
Howard
Old 12-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #41
Barn Junk

Quote:
I have received the Drake LH manifold and am waiting for the pipes from Kepich. I still plan to post details of installation but, I have a question regarding outlet size of manifold from Drake. I thought it looked a little small, so I measured the outlet diameter. It measures 1-3/8". The front outlet on the stock, front outlet, LH manifold measures 1-5/8". Should I have a concern with restriction? Does anyone have a Rooney manifold they can measure for comparison? Comments please.
Thanks,
Howard
I have an original used version of that LH dual manifold design made in the 50s-60s. The outlet measures 1 3/4 inches dia and that is the same as the stock RH side. Anyone need it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-207F.JPG (59.4 KB, 28 views)
Barn Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #42
HCO41

Barn Junk,
I've sent you an Email via the Barn
Howard
Old 02-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #43
HCO41

Update, I sent the Drake manifold back because the outlet, in my opinion, was too small (see above). I have since ordered and received one of Pat Rooney's LH manifolds. What a difference!! This is a quality product, a copy of the original, used in early '50s police cars w/Mercury engines. Rooney's manifold is designed and cast in the U.S.
Kepich makes all the pipes for the duels with the left side being patterned to the Rooney manifold rear outlet. I have the Kepich pipes and mufflers to be installed after the engine goes in. I'll update this thread once I get the exhaust in place with details of installation.
Howard