Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #1
Ed Northrop

Default Paint color 29 roadster

I am in the process of painting my 29 roadster and I am going to paint in Brewster Green Medium. It seems to be upsetting a couple of guys in my local car club as this is not a correct color for 1929. I told them it is only paint and can be changed any time. Is my thought process wrong as they make it seems as it is the biggest sin that could be made. I left out the part that I had my wheels powder coated Apple green.
Ed Northrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Paint color 29 roadster

It is your car and it is that simple. Tell them that and to bug off because that is the color it is going to be and they have NO say in the matter. Then tell them to go home and put on their big boy pants cause they need to grow up. Or not! He He
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I guess my attitude would be this is just like being in Jr. High with a bunch of girls. Surely to goodness they have better things to discuss than YOUR business. I will also tell you that it is your car however you ARE over-simplifying the idea that it is no big deal to change colors. Yes that is a HUGE undertaking. Much easier to change an engine or driveline than paint color!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #4
wrndln

I agree with the other 2 posters, it is your car and you can paint it hot pink if you want to. I like model A's painted one of the original colors, but that is just me. I agree with Brent, after painting 2 cars myself, repainting a car is no simple operation - main body color, secondary color and the pinstripping. I would suggest you buy the smallest amount of paint you can and do a spray-out on a decent sized panel to see if you really like the color you have chosen.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #5
bart78

Paint the fenders brown. That will piss them off.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #6
Ed Northrop

Rusty I did just as you suggested and I feel the car will look fine this color. I collect Reo also along with big block Mopars that I grew up on that are original colors. Brent I know its a lot of work plus a sum for materials but I have painted several cars thru the years along with the help of a 30 year painter friend that we help each other out and it never seems to be any more than fun. A person could spend there time in places that shows nothing but a headache the next day.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:08 PM   #7
Bob C

Have you looked at the color combinations on Marco's site?
http://www.abarnyard.com/roadster/co...orchange.shtml

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:11 PM   #8
Ed Northrop

Bob I have that is where I determine it would be a nice color to try. My car will have a black top with black trunk and trunk rack.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:55 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Just keep in mind that it will reduce the number of potential buyers when it come to selling it.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:04 AM   #10
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino

Do they sign your paycheck? Are they paying the costs involved? If not, do what you desire. Your cae - Your choice for certain. Some folks are really petty- we had a club member resign because people got on him for having the windows on his tudor tinted and air conditioning installed. Told him that it wasn't original and made a big deal out of it. These same folks had carsthat were far from "original"
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:02 AM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Brent is very correct when he says if is a lot of work to change colors . I also agree with the multitude of others that it is your car and totally your decision. Please post a picture when you are finished. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:25 AM   #12
Charlie Stephens

Let me say that it is your car and you can paint it any color you want. I personally like the original colors. You should be aware that a quality paint job that hits all the hard to find places is probably at least $5k (a big deal to me) or more. I passed on a well restored 1932 Fordor sedan a couple of years ago because it was the wrong color (they had used Model A colors) because by the time I added $5-$10 K to the price it was more than I wanted to pay. I don't know if the guy ever sold the car, he was having problems selling it, maybe the colors? As an aside my '32 is brewster green medium on the body and I wish it was Brewster green light (I believe both are correct for the car, but if I was painting it I would definitely check again).

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 03-06-2015 at 04:32 AM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:47 PM   #13
kevinwalshe

If the title is in your name, paint it the color YOU want. Don't be bothered by what other people say because if it makes you happy, that is all that matters. You are the one driving it.
kevinwalshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #14
Anteek29

Let me add my 2 cents here...
When I was searching to buy my very first Model A last year, I wanted one with
as original feature equipment - including correct paint colors. I passed up a few
that had non-1928 thru 1931 year colors. If I sell eventually, having an original
color A should be a plus.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #15
whirnot

I will add mine as well. When I bought both of my A's I could give a rats A$$ if they were "correct" I drive them and enjoy them. My Roadster has won a boatload of Car shows, even though it is not correct. People love that car. If anyone tried to tell me what color to paint my car, I might mention to them that they are sticking their big nose where it doesn't belong and is not wanted.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:30 AM   #16
Skeezixx

Just put whitewalls on it. The body color then becomes a non issue.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:00 AM   #17
barkleydave

I agree with the gang. I found no Model A Police to consult! I have two classics.
My 29 CCPU has a beautiful professional paint job. No it is not Dark Moss Green.. the P.O. 's wife said no... it is Dupont Seamaster Green. It is a couple of shades lighter and is BEAUTIFUL! Really sets it off and most do not notice it is not what I refer to ass "Dull Moss Green". I have some touring upgrades so whats the beef? I enjoy USING THE TRUCK!

My MGA 1957 is not an ORG. color (Olde English White) It was done in a Dupont white. Much whiter and brighter and it looks GOOD. I also have custom spray cans of touch up paint that match the modern paint code exactly!

ENJOY YOUR CAR!
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #18
Ed Northrop

Thanks for the input I have to agree I do not believe most people care if a cars color is 100% correct. I painted a 29 Reo coupe the correct color which was a dull red with black fenders I have always regretted not painting the cars body one shade of maroon and fenders and inserts a 2nd shade of maroon.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #19
ModelAMike1930

I agree with most of the others, paint it the color you like. You don't buy something with the idea of selling it right away. If we all listened to other we would all be living in white houses with green shutters.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:17 PM   #20
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelAMike1930 View Post
I agree with most of the others, paint it the color you like. You don't buy something with the idea of selling it right away. If we all listened to other we would all be living in white houses with green shutters.
They'd be all black houses if they we built from 1914-1927.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote