Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
dave m

Default 35 steering wheels ?

Is there anybody that recasts the ''35 std steering wheels'' with the correct finger marks none of the repops iv'e seen are correct----thanks
dave m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: 35 steering wheels ?

Not that I know of. I've been looking for years.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Dave, I sold an original '35 steering wheel in need of major repair to a Fordbarn member about 5 years ago. He claimed he was planning to send this wheel to someone who was going to remold/restore it to original which would include the raised ribs around the wheel. I believe he said the cost would be around $700.00.
If I could not find a nice original '35 wheel, I would consider buying a repro '36 wheel and adding the ribs using some type of epoxy material.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 12-26-2014 at 09:11 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Any steering wheel can be recast but it won't be original as to the material that it is recast with. Back in the day they used hard rubber and Tenite which both deteriorated rapidly when exposed to UV radiation of sun light. Now days they use UV stable polyurethane.

D&D Automobilia, JB Donaldson Co., Koch Steering Wheels, & Quality Restorations all do recasting and cusom wheel casting. I've not used any of them yet but they don't work cheep. The wheel has to be stripped to bare metal, finished for corrosion, then fit to the mold. Sometimes they are bent out of shape or welds are broken so repairs have to be performed just to fit the mold. The urethane is cast and then pressure treated to temper it for strength. It is time consuming and that labor translates into expensive.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-27-2014 at 10:37 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #5
Admiral

I'm running a reproduction wheel in my '36 sedan that I picked up at Hershey for $40. Whether it's perfect or not I don't care; it's close enough for my purposes and I doubt many would be able to spot the differences.
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
KendraFowles

I had the process rotorwrench described - my 1936 Banjo restored by Dennis at Quality Restorations - http://qualityrestorations.com/

Dennis re-cast my 1936 Banjo with all the correct finger bumps, matched the color sample I sent. Epoxy cast with correct color all the way to the wheel's metal core. Expensive, but the results are exactly what I wanted.

Ken
KendraFowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
35fordtn

Dave,
The reproductions are made from a 36 and do not have the "tick" mark on the facing edge. Attached is a picture of the wheel in my 35, that my wife did from a reproduction.

35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #8
keith oh

My 35 steering wheel had wide breaks & cracks in it which looked impossible to fix. I decided to give it a try since it couldn't be much worse. I used a product called Fiberglass ResinGel US Chemical and Plastics Canton Ohio, ( it is reinforced with glass for strength) and by filling and sanding to shape each crack and break as I moved around the wheel, it turned out very nice. I painted it,(rattle can gloss black) then sanded the second coat with 2000 Wet paper and rubbed it out with body rubbing compound. That was over ten years ago and still looks good. I find there is much satisfaction in doing things my self.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote