Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #61
Old Henry

Default Re: How has anyone delt with this zerk problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
How about just take the clam shell off and work on it on the bench??
Paul in CT
See Post # 52. And photo of clam off of car in Post # 1.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #62
Old Henry

Default Re: How has anyone delt with this zerk problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Is it my imagination or an optical illusion or is the tranny shifted to the passenger side.
If shifted maybe a slight nudge with a pry bar would give enough clearance to access the fitting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
You might be right. The solution may be as simple as that.
Right now everything but the engine is off of the car waiting for parts coming from Mac VanPelt to rebuild the drive line, transmission, and clutch. Before I reinstall the transmission I will bolt the clam shell to the rear bearing retainer on the transmission and bolt it down to the new tranny mount and see what clearance I have for the zerk and go from there. It may well be that the mounting holes are big enough to "cheat" the whole thing to the driver's side and create enough room without anything else. I like it better than shimming up the tranny on its mount.

Thanks for the idea.
More evidence of "shifting" and poor alignment:

Just removed my old tranny mount and on the bottom is this oblong slot for some unknown reason.

It sits over a hole in the center of the frame member upon which the tranny mount sits:

You can see that the oblong hole in the mount has not been sitting centered over the hole in the middle of the frame member - it's been toward the right side causing the crowding of the zerk I've struggled with. The clam needs to move more sideways to the left than it does need to move up to solve my problem. Hopefully I can secure the new mount and tranny toward the left and it should solve my problem without anything else being done. We'll see.

Thanks again 51 MERC-CT for your astute observation.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)