Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Performance ???

Being somewhat of a old guy i have been around cars and performance cars all my life . I also taught Gasoline Engines for Lincoln Tech here in Indy for a few years.
Interesting when you work on cars you just fix and repair and rebuild , never needed to answer the question of WHY? When teaching my first class or two (Electrical Tune Up) i said turn the screw inward a turn or two. A student raised his hand and "why" what does that control. WOW beats the hell out of me thats just the way it was !! I didnt know what it controlled i just knew that it fixed ( or masked ) the problem ! So i had to really study up to find out why???
Over the years we built some pretty neat cars and i have helped a million people , but my general rule of thumb for a baseline is to "blueprint" the engine and make it as perfect as you can in a stock form !!!! I have a couple friends that drag raced and owned more than one National record holding cars. All of them base lined the engine, used exact factory specs and then added one item at a time to make it better . ( sometimes it wasnt better) Ford made a muscle book in the sixtys that discussed this in stages and it really worked.
Now building Flathead Ignition is see this causing problems every day .
Just this week been discussing a problem with a customer that has flathead with dual carbs, different heads and camshaft with multiple ignition distributors and advance settings.

One of my friends used to have a spinning wheel on his counter and would ask a customer to just spin the wheel when a repair was needed without allowing for diagnostic time . The wheel said carb , ignition, valve job etc ....

I think as a group we must get better at using this base line more often and then just make a single change ????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg muscle.jpg (36.0 KB, 218 views)

Last edited by BUBBAS IGNITION; 10-14-2019 at 05:38 AM.
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote