Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2019, 05:16 PM   #41
whb52ford

Default Re: No reverse BW R-10

When I tried to put it into reverse not using the clutch it was the reverse gear in the three speed part that was grinding. This transmission has not been in the car before. My transmission has a cracked case and leaks and other issues. I purchased this in unknown condition. When I opened it up I had to get a new sungear, planetary gear and #14 rail. Got them all from Van Pelt-expensive. I agree with you and think that for some reason the sun gear is not going into the planetary gear far enough. What I don't understand is why does it work on the bench and not in the car. What is different?

Do I have the wrong parts for this transmission? Just talking overdrive part. They all seem to fit together. Just asking.

Sounds like it's coming out again. Just not sure what to do once it's out.
whb52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:00 PM   #42
40cpe

My thinking is that there is not enough resistance to keep it from working on the bench. There is probably enough friction between the sun and planetary gears to make it turn. Just MHO.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:04 PM   #43
rotorwrench

There are some clusters that have the first two gears correct tooth count but they have a different reverse tooth count. Yours should be the post 51 type transmission. They use all different gears than the early ones from early in 1951 back to 49 or so. If you can see good tooth contact on the reverse gear train than that's not it. There were several variations of these transmissions for Fords & Mercury cars & pickups so there are some different parts between them. A person has to know exactly what it came from to source the parts for them. You will have to verify fit of the shift rail and sun gear as well as the planetary set up. I don't think R10 stuff will fit the R11 stuff but I haven't checked the part numbers between the Lincoln and the Ford/Mercury cars to know for any certainty. If something isn't right in those items then it won't function. The sun gear has to be able to lock up the planet carrier or it's a no go in reverse.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-26-2019 at 07:15 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:49 PM   #44
whb52ford

The replacement items look like the ones that were in there.

It is an R10, not an R11

When the tranny is apart the rail easily slides the sun gear into the planetary gear. The planetary gears rotate and don’t rotate depending on the sun gear. When I assemble it the hub goes easily over the planetary gear.

This seemed odd to me
When I assemble the od I put the shaft and hub over the roller bearings and slide over the planetary gear.
When I put the tail piece on, you have to open up that “built in the cover” snap ring. I do that and then the bearing passes through. When the housing is in the whole way, I have to pull the shaft away from the planetary gear to lock in the snap ring.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:33 AM   #45
Frank Miller

If you step on the clutch it should go in reverse with the engine running if it tested ok on the bench. What happens when you engage the clutch is another story. Your problem really has me perplexed and I'm hesitant to give you more ideas without looking at it. In other wrds i have nothing but will follow along.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:20 AM   #46
rotorwrench

There are different output shaft lengths and different tail shaft lengths and that's why I mentioned making sure of what you have. The R10 overdrives were used on several different transmissions by more than a few different auto manufacturers so there are a lot of different parts out there that look similar enough to make you scratch your head. Even a small amount of difference could affect the fit and function. If the two transmissions look the same on the outside, it may be time to compare parts on the inside. If you have one that used to work normally then you have a baseline of parts to go by.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:25 AM   #47
whb52ford

When I bench tested it the solenoid was out. Could that have any bearing on this? Just thinking out loud.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:12 AM   #48
hook00pad

Bad solenoid? Have you actually tested it's operation by applying voltage? It has to be working to lock out the OD sungear/clutch.
hook00pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:35 PM   #49
whb52ford

I know the solenoid is working because I had to energize it to get it locked into the pawl.

OK, I just pulled the transmission out of the car. It's on the jack stand and believe me the first thing I did was see if it is working. On the jack stand, I put it in first, turn the input shaft and the output goes in the same direction. Put it into reverse and the output shaft turns the opposite direction. It's working on the jack stand, but not in the car. Something wrong with the car. It' in the throw out bearing because clutch works and car moves forward. Solenoid and governor out of transmission now.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:44 PM   #50
1931 flamingo

I know there's a solenoid involved but what about out of adjustment linkage??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:20 PM   #51
40cpe

Use something to hold the output shaft firmly. It could be internal friction moving the shaft in reverse.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:01 PM   #52
whb52ford

deleted

Last edited by whb52ford; 09-27-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:18 PM   #53
whb52ford

deleted

Last edited by whb52ford; 09-27-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:34 PM   #54
whb52ford

If I remember right the engine moves clockwise. In first gear when I rotate the input shaft clockwise, the output shaft moves clockwise. However, if I can move the output shaft counter clockwise-it will move while input is stationary.

When I put the tranny in reverse, and rotate clockwise, the output shaft will turn counter clockwise-but I can hold the output shaft while the input shaft is moving. With tranny in reverse, I cannot move the output shaft clockwise without moving the input shaft. (It's tight the wrong way)

Does that tell us anything?

The rail seems to be working. When in neutral there is tension on the OD lever. When in reverse there is no tension on the OD lever. It's free and I"m guessing because the cam on the reverse lever pushed the rail back-as it should.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:11 PM   #55
40cpe

If you have the rear lever in the "locked out" position you should not be able to turn the output shaft in any direction without moving the input shaft while in any gear except neutral. While in reverse the output shaft should not move without moving the input shaft, regardless of the lock out handle position.

When the transmission was apart, did you insert the sun gear into the planetary gear all the way to insure the teeth mesh? I've never heard of any mis-match of the two gears, but something is stopping them from meshing.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:25 PM   #56
whb52ford

I put the transmission in neutral, then engaged the lockout. The output shaft turns freely in both directions.

I then put it into first, and output turns freely in one direction only.
I then put it into reverse and output turns freely in same direction as above.

When I put it together I remember the sungear went inside the planetary gear. Now as to all the way-I don't know. The sungear does engage and disengage the planetary gear by use of the rail.

Keep the questions coming.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:21 PM   #57
40cpe

The only other suggestion I have it to call Van Pelt. He has a reputation for being helpful, especially if you bought parts from him.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:34 PM   #58
whb52ford

Van Pelt is not open till Monday. Do you think I should leave it together or take it apart?
Old 09-27-2019, 08:39 PM   #59
40cpe

It is your call, but I think you have tried everything you can from the outside.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #60
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Might try a PM, he is on here often.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote