Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-08-2015, 02:51 PM   #61
RobbHelf

Default Re: Very early V8 engine, later mounts

I will try that! Thanks!
RobbHelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:31 PM   #62
RobbHelf

Here ya go Dave... cell phones can be useful sometime! In a tight spot, turned out OK!
Serial number (has the 18- prefix, unlike the frame) is clearly on a intentionally cast flat spot. No plate to be felt or seen. Hope that makes a point to the final analysis.
Thanks again for your devoted interest. This was really fun! Hope it was for you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '33 Tranny Serial #.jpg (72.3 KB, 62 views)
Old 01-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #63
RobbHelf

I'm understanding all of this much better now. I misunderstood the Nov. '32 startup date as the Job#1 car. The chart in the EFV8 '33-'34 book just pertains to engines. Very well.
Like I mentioned early on, I never once thought I have something really rare, just odd, and wanted to get down to the bottom of how this car all came together and when. Great fodder for when I start going to The V8 Club meetings in a few weeks. My dad never did any of that club stuff and didn't care about originality and history all that much. I love it!!!
Two other points... When I said First crate in LAST one out I meant if there was a stockpile of these '32 engines, and I'm presuming there was, those low number engines could've been buried for months. Again, fun to guess. Your lost theory works for me too.
Last point, I hate typing! Would it be agreeable to you to speak sometime on the phone?
Would relish a conversation with you (not to mention all the other guys that know their stuff) sometime soon. Please consider!!??Would love to hear about some of your cars of old and current ones!

Last edited by RobbHelf; 01-08-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #64
David J

Here is what your fuel pump should look like . Don't let DavidG fool you - he is definitely the master . Anywayz David I do agree on the heads - I posted a dash A as he asked about suffixes and it was handy . Aluminum heads are a study in themselves as you well know .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.JPG (84.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.JPG (82.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.JPG (71.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.JPG (77.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.JPG (79.1 KB, 21 views)
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:03 PM   #65
RobbHelf

That's the one I have with cold weather anti-condensing wrap. All the gear on top of the intake manifold is off now as it is all in dire need of cleaning and tuning. Nice winter project for me now!!! Especially the Detroit Lube.

I hear ya about the heads. Crazy!!!
Old 01-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #66
RobbHelf

As I sit here now I feel we've pretty well exhausted this posting and I thank you all for your ambition and willingness to help out a novice in this great hobby! As the winter passes here in Wisconsin, I will get my refurbishing done on the engine and thorough cleaning. Photos will be abundant. Again, thanks to all who have offered their time, patience and energies toward helping me develop a history of sorts of this great V8!

Best regards,

Robb Helf

PS. If you still have anything to add, especially photos, please do so! Enjoying them immensely.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #67
Mart

It's been a very interesting read, I learnt a lot from it.

Thanks to all the contributors.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:07 AM   #68
Bored&Stroked

I enjoyed the whole archaeological dig you guys just went through - fun and fascinating.

I would love to know what distributor is on the front of this engine as well. It could easily be a replacement block - as it is not like any 33' block that I've heard of. Folks put all sorts of engines in these cars - including the dealer, the mechanic down the street, etc.. I'm currently rebuilding an original 32 engine, it has the aluminum pan on it . . . and a 49-53 oil pump in it, still STD bore. Somehow it was still running up into the 50's.

Would be fascinating to see the INSIDE of the block . . the valley area and see if it has all the characteristics of a 32 engine.

Since you'll have the intake off, take some pictures of the valley area and also the distributor itself.

Fun stuff!

Dale
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:03 PM   #69
RobbHelf

Hi Dale,

Thanks for adding an interesting question. Yes, the intake manifold is off and I can get photos of the innards of the block as soon as it warms up a bit. Distributor looks very old but I'm pretty sure my dad had it gone through a while back as it was acting up. Stay tuned for pictures to clear up this mystery of how a very early V8 block ended up on this chassis.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:09 AM   #70
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbHelf View Post
Hi Dale,

Thanks for adding an interesting question. Yes, the intake manifold is off and I can get photos of the innards of the block as soon as it warms up a bit. Distributor looks very old but I'm pretty sure my dad had it gone through a while back as it was acting up. Stay tuned for pictures to clear up this mystery of how a very early V8 block ended up on this chassis.
Keep it coming . . . this is a fun 'sleuthing' post to say the least!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote