Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #21
xelhan

Default Re: Ford F150 transmission for my 34' Tudor

Thank you Ol' Ron
xelhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #22
xelhan

V8COOPMAN!

My other 34' Tudor is a real Hot Rod with a LS7 engine and a 6L80E transmission with a 4.02 first gear. Maybe you should call GM to let them know they've got it all wrong and offer them your technical services - I'm sure they will be delighted.

Have a nice weekend,
Chris
xelhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #23
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelhan View Post

V8COOPMAN!

My other 34' Tudor is a real Hot Rod with a LS7 engine and a 6L80E transmission with a 4.02 first gear. Maybe you should call GM to let them know they've got it all wrong and offer them your technical services.
Chris

Maybe if you knew a little more about the development of the 6L80s you'd realize that they were created to help GM meet ever more demanding CAFE regulations. It's gearing was designed to keep the engine in it's power band longer for economy reasons. It should also be noted that many applications utilized 2.73 rear gears. That 4.03 (actually 4.027) first gear yields an overall first gear ratio of right at 11:1, necessary to get a relatively heavy car or pick-up moving initially with the low numerical rear end ratios. 6L80s were designed for gross weights up to 8,600 GVW. The reason Borg-Warner (for GM) put 4.03 1st gears in some T5 transmissions is because they needed that sort of gearing to get the things rolling initially with a wimpy 4-banger. All V8s had the 2.95 1st gear set. Since you're talking torque tube adaptation, you should note that Ford produced NO banjo rear end ratios anywhere near 2.73. Even with a 3.54 old Ford rear end, a 4.03 1st gear will yield an overall 1st gear ratio of 14.27 to 1...…..ridiculous! A 3.78 Ford banjo rear makes it even worse.

One last little bit...you ain't got no "REAL hot rod". Real hot rods have three pedals on the floor, and they certainly don't have AUTOMATIC transmissions. You, Sir, have yourself an everyday street rod. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #24
bobH

Might as well put my 'worthless' two cents in.... I'm a jeep-nut in addition to playing with old fords. For years, I had a cj7 with the factory installed T5 (3.31 axles). I can assure anyone, first gear is worthless, at least on the street. That cj has been with me many years, and with more than one power train. I haven't had the T5 for more than 15 years. My point being, it was (in my opinion) a very poor combination for a jeep. And, it would certainly not suit my taste behind a flathead ford. Obviously, and with respect, all just opinion.

Last edited by bobH; 12-14-2019 at 02:40 PM.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #25
bobH

Amusing observation regarding hot rods and street rods. Me thinks it's an age-thing. Gotta be almost as old as me to know or remember what a hot rod is/was.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #26
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
Amusing observation regarding hot rods and street rods. Me thinks it's an age-thing. Gotta be almost as old as me to know or remember what a hot rod is/was.

Hey Bob...I started my hands-on piddlin' with these old Fords in the early '60s, long before anyone had made-up the term "street rod". In 1971, I attended my first Street Rod Nationals and saw the writing on the wall....street rods were born and scootin' all over the place in Memphis, as well as the rest of the country. I thought the "hot rod" world had finally come of age, and I built three street rods over the next several years. Meanwhile, I got very involved with the authentic restorations of mid year Corvettes in the mid '80s. We finally had enough of the politics involved with judging those things and by the latter part of the '90s, I was ready to get back to the old Fords, and by that time I had matured barely enough to appreciate the cultural differences between hot rods and jelly-bean street rods. I fully appreciate our stock and restored old Fords, but my true interest is with the traditional cars and folklore of true hot rodders from the late '40 and into the early '60s.

It's encouraging to hear someone else with real, first-hand experience speaking authoritatively about just how worthless that wimpy 1st gear is in the T5s on the street. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #27
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelhan View Post

V8COOPMAN!

My other 34' Tudor is a real Hot Rod with a LS7 engine and a 6L80E transmission with a 4.02 first gear. Maybe you should call GM to let them know they've got it all wrong and offer them your technical services - I'm sure they will be delighted.

Have a nice weekend,
Chris
Don't take suggestions/inputs as personnel attacks. There is a lot of experience here on the Barn and some of us enjoy sharing knowledge. You can build your car anyway you want, but you might want to at least consider inputs from folks that have been down this road. There are formulas on line for the final gear ratio design goal (trans gear ratio x rear axle ratio) ranges best for certain applications. No one is saying it won't work, it will, it is about how useful and pleasant a vehicle is to drive.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote