Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #1
whb52ford

Default OD solenoid seals

I have a couple OD solenoids. Decided to replace the oil seals on them. Bought National 240698-all rubber, and SKF 3060-metal outside with rubber inside. Two of the solenoids the seals went right in. Three of the solenoids have a small line/ring/lip a little way down preventing the seal from going all the way down. I tested the solenoid and when I energize the solenoid, the seal pops forward with the solenoid. The seal I took out on the three looks different. I'm having trouble finding the seal for these three solenoids. Worse case, I take a dremel and try and grind out that lip. Any ideas? thx
whb52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:36 PM   #2
Craig CT

Default Re: OD solenoid seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by whb52ford View Post
I have a couple OD solenoids. Decided to replace the oil seals on them. Bought National 240698-all rubber, and SKF 3060-metal outside with rubber inside. Two of the solenoids the seals went right in. Three of the solenoids have a small line/ring/lip a little way down preventing the seal from going all the way down. I tested the solenoid and when I energize the solenoid, the seal pops forward with the solenoid. The seal I took out on the three looks different. I'm having trouble finding the seal for these three solenoids. Worse case, I take a dremel and try and grind out that lip. Any ideas? thx
Hi whb52ford; Try Mac VanPelt, he should be able to help you, Craig.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
JT FORD

There is no oil seal in a OD solenoid. The seal is placed in the OD case.
It keeps the tranny / OD fluid from leaking out. There is no oil inside the solenoid.
JT FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #4
leon bee

This is kind of interesting because I was going to replace that seal on my project. I looked and looked and couldn't figure out if the seal was in the case or that thing I could see around the solenoid plunger shaft. I never did decide. My books didn't help.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #5
JT FORD

There most be a seal in casting, if not the fluid woud be running out of the case. The seal is has a metal outside and a rubber inside, like any other seal. They do wear out after 50 years and can be replaced. Napa sells them. Pry the old one out and install.
JT FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
scooder

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT FORD View Post
There is no oil seal in a OD solenoid. The seal is placed in the OD case.
It keeps the tranny / OD fluid from leaking out. There is no oil inside the solenoid.
On my overdrives there is most definitely a seal in the solinoid as well as a seal in the case. Most of my solenoids are from Early (49-51) but also have a couple of 12 volt solinoids, they both have a seal in them like the earlier ones I have. And they all have a drain hole for the transmission oil that gets past both seals.
Belts and braces on your overalls.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
rotorwrench

There may have been more than one company manufacturing these old operating solenoids. I've never seen a parts break down anywhere for them since they were sold as a unit. A seal would have to mach the original type for each of the varying designs to get good service. There may be no current supplier for some designs. I know there used to be a few guys overhauling these units but I've not looked for this service yet. Folks that did this service would have known where to find stuff like that.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote