Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2019, 08:54 PM   #41
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: Ballast resistor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56markII View Post
Beating it to death perhaps but isn't it amazing how many of us are totally unaware of what is and what isn't?? My argument is why wouldn't you have an ignition resistor bypass? It is well known why they had them and this is indicated by the solenoid many Fords, Mercury, and Lincoln have such as anything post 1955 with the somenoid with two terminals on top not one. One is power to energize the solenoid and the other is the resistor bypass for higher voltage supply when the starter draws. Being a Canadian (non Monarch) Mercury this is probably provided for our very nasty climate for hotter spark in our Siberian climate. If there is a 6 volt solenoid period correct with the extra bypass terminal my relay complete with a circuit breaker and resistor attached would be eliminated and the resistor would be elsewhere. Supply and demand and what they had on hand dictates what they used and my Continental Mark II is a very good example of this! There are many grey areas of when things were used and not used creating many arguments and speculation as well including a heated debate in the past which one was the first 1957 model. I looked through my OEM 1949-51 and 1949-53 parts manuals including my 1949-51 Lincoln manuals all Ford and not other publications and nothing appears BUT these are all American not Canadian and while we are at it the date of the flathead is 1932-53 but up here and probably Australia is 1954. I will leave this device on my inner fender because it still works and serves a usefull purpose.
I dont disagree with any of this, cars and circuits have changed a lot per manufacture.....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:30 PM   #42
Tinker

Default Re: Ballast resistor.

"ol'henry" had a few threads on a diode, not his idea (posted great pictures). It's pretty easy set up. A diode restricts flow of electrons in one direction.

Or just buy a 6v ford tractor 4 post solenoid. Not correct looking, but the full coil bypass post is built in.
https://www.steinertractor.com/ABC39...SABEgLLifD_BwE

Never needed either, so far.

Last edited by Tinker; 07-15-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)