Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
RalphG

Default Merc radiator test

I did a brief test running the 52 Merc with the "new" 53 radiator installed. Got some of it on video for anyone that might be curious. Nothing too exciting. Just some under the hood views of the engine and radiator. And the sound of the engine of course.
I'll never understand how the old 52 radiator got so beat up and repaired. The 53 is only a year newer but the radiator is in far better shape. I don't remember my dad ever having any work done on the original radiator.
https://youtu.be/1PcZYIAU-QY
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Merc radiator test

My hand me down family 51 Merc had it's share of radiator repair and cooling system replacements over the years. I know we rodded the radiator out at least once. The car had a pretty good front collision due to my brother forgetting about the overdrive on a hill but I don't remember radiator getting hurt. The front bumper & grill took it hard though. The 63 Mercury car that it ran into was hurt a lot worse. The car also threw a fan blade once due to a crack. It dented the hood pretty bad. That car had a hard life. Pop was driving along a farm road when the steering started feeling funny. It's a good thing he slowed down because shortly after that a tie rod broke. The car only went about half way off the road as it came to an abrupt halt with wheels splayed out in opposite directions. He barely missed a neighbors mail box. The farmers in that area would plant a big post or pipe to hold the mail boxes so it would have done some serious damage if he had hit it. Pop was lucky that time. He ended up getting run over by the car later when he did the same thing my brother did by parking on a hill and not putting it in reverse or setting the hand brake. He forgot to turn the wind mill off down the hill so he was walking back down the hill when the car hit him. It beat him up pretty well but he survived it. He always said that the Merc was the quietest car he ever owned but it was a bit too quiet that time. He never heard it coming. I don't think he ever drove it after that. My oldest brother got the car instead.

I have a lot of memories with that car. Both good and bad. I wouldn't sell it for any amount of money.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
My hand me down family 51 Merc had it's share of radiator repair and cooling system replacements over the years.
I have a lot of memories with that car. Both good and bad. I wouldn't sell it for any amount of money.
I feel the same about this 52. It will never be worth much except in family history. Its always interesting to hear some of the history behind our vehicles. Do you have any pictures of your 51 to show?
Old 12-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #4
rotorwrench

The car is currently in Kansas but I'll get some photos next time I go up for a visit. We still keep it on the farm. I'm still working on number two so it is scattered right now.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:06 PM   #5
Bulligen

Thank you for showing us the result of your radiator fix!
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:57 PM   #6
scicala

Ralph and rotorwrench,

You're making me jealous. I wish I still had the '55 Mercury Montclair that I inherited from my Dad when I was 15. Oh, the memories !

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:13 PM   #7
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
Ralph and rotorwrench,

You're making me jealous. I wish I still had the '55 Mercury Montclair that I inherited from my Dad when I was 15. Oh, the memories !

Sal
I know I'm lucky to have this one. Just wish I'd "saved" it 30 years earlier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merc in 62 (1 of 1).jpg (47.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 12-24-2018, 01:37 PM   #8
scicala

That's all I have Ralph, is a couple of old tiny photo's, and a lot of memories.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote