Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
JBohannon

Default 2 more newbie questions !!

My first question is about a rear main oil leak. I have not had my A long but when I first started it I realized I had a bad oil leak. I am talking like a drop of oil every 3 or 4 seconds while running. So I ordered a pan gasket to pull pan and check everything like the forum post tells me. As I drained the oil I realized I had about 5 quarts of oil come out of engine. I measured it. Do you think if I only filled engine about half full it would stop a lot of the leak and save me from taking down the pan. Next question I had a front bolt come out of the starter spring I fished the old one out. I call the front the long one away from starter motor. So I bought the 2 new 5/16 bolts and special washers and put the small back one in but now I realize my front one will not tighten up stripped. What can I do now. Thanks, Joe B
JBohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron
Default Re: 2 more newbie questions !!

Well ONLY fill the oil till the "F" or less on the dipp stick, also remember to make sure the filler tube is clean, and the filler CAP is NOT obstructed in any way,, it has to breath.. Go to Here and read about rear mail oil leaks also Antique Engine Rebuilders

The Stripped bolt.. You can insert a Heli Coil, that should help, but lets see some other suggestions from the board.
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
JBohannon

Thanks, by the way I am not sure I have an original dipstick. It does not actually completely cover the hole it goes in. It is just one piece of steel rod that is bent into a circle for handle.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Well get rid of that FAST
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBohannon View Post
Thanks, by the way I am not sure I have an original dipstick. It does not actually completely cover the hole it goes in. It is just one piece of steel rod that is bent into a circle for handle.
Scratch a full mark on the dip stick you have now.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Fred K-OR

"I realized I had about 5 quarts of oil come out of engine"

If you had 5 quarts coming out of the pan, you must have had about 6 quarts in your engine. The Model A, the way I understand it, will take 5 quarts when you do a rebuild of your engine or when you have taken off the pan and drained the splash tray in the pan. A normal oil drain will only get 4 quarts out (if it was on the F mark of the dip stick) and on quart will stay in the splash tray. So if you got 5 quarts out there will still be one quart in the splash tray and that is where the 6 quart figure comes from. Hope this is clearer than dirty oil. Thus this could be the reason for the drip. Maybe others will give you another answer.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
ctlikon0712

Definitely read the tips that mamaron sent you, many times what happens is the oil filler cap is put on too tight and the only place for the pressure to go is out the rear main drain back tube, and your oil with it. The crankcase has to breathe as was said earlier. The stock dip stick is a wire with a flat on it where after it wraps around in a loop for the handle, returns down the other length of itself to form a round 2 piece rod to insert into the blocks hole. Make sure before you get rid of it that it’s not the correct piece. When I first saw a model A's dipstick I thought someone made it. lol
ctlikon0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

The dipper tray in the oil pan holds about one quart that remains in the tray when the oil pan drain plug is removed. When you change the oil, add only four quarts or a little less or you will have a quart too much in the engine. The dip stick needs to be fully inserted, all the way down until the circle touches the block. I don't recommend removeing the oil pan or you can easily end up with more problems than you now have. Believe me, its not easy to get the oil pan, oil pump and gaskets properly re installed while laying on your back with oil dripping in your eyes!!!!! To much oil in the engine will cause the model A engine to leave a trail of oil. If parked with the front end higher than the back iwill allow the oil in the valve chamber to leak past the rear oil slinger. As for the starter bendix, it would only cost a few dollars more to replace the starter drive with a new modern starter drive from Snyders than useing a heli coil. Check the prices.. Any obstructions in the oil filler tube, such as a sock over the tube or steel wool in the tube will cause pressure to build in the crankcase and oil will leak out the rear main bearing.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Bob C

Follow the link to see what your dip stick should look like unless you have a 1928.
http://www.brattons.com/product.asp?...=any&PT_ID=all

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #10
columbiA

I would change to the modern style starter drive.They dont cost any more than the old style Bendix drive & there no external bolts or spring to break & get caught up in the ring gear. If you keep the oil level 3/4 full,it will be enough & will cut down on leakage out the rear main.If leakage is still bad,it may need the brgs adjusted.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
JBohannon

This has all been very helpful. I think I do have the original dip stick but I do not think I have made sure it is all the way down. Also I think you are right I need to buy new bendix before I rear up my flywheel. All this has been very helpful.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBohannon View Post
This has all been very helpful. I think I do have the original dip stick but I do not think I have made sure it is all the way down. Also I think you are right I need to buy new bendix before I rear up my flywheel. All this has been very helpful.
First time I didn't get my dipstick all the way down, it was amazing how much oil came out! Looked like an old engine with blowby. Once, with an old oil filler cap, got pushed down too much, and the 4 tabs went back in and BLOCKED THAT DUDE!! A quart or so out the rear main in 15 or 20 miles!!
And that was on a good engine.