Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
AnthonyG

Default Still no lights

Ignition switch and cigar lighter work fine but no dash, dome head or tail lights. Cleaned electrical connections on the original resistor / fuse block, looked to be in good shape. All new harnesses, double checked connections. Looking at the wiring diagram I see the light circuit looks like it gets power from a yellow and red wire which feeds into the light switch body at the base of the steering column. To check and see if the power is getting to the light switch will I have to disconnect the light body ( separate two halves ) to check for power? I have read in threads that the aftermarket light switch bodies can be funky and need tweaking? Mine seemed to install OK spring latch clamp closed OK. Selector on steering wheel works smoothly. Help.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
Lawrie

Default Re: Still no lights

Get a multi meter,start at the supply to the switch,work your way along,check power to and from the switch,then at the light itself, once you get used to using the multi meter it will be easy to find where the problem is./
lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

LAWRIE's right...about the only way to reasonably troubleshoot those lights. Most likely one point common to all those individual circuits...you'll find it. OHM the fuse, even though it LOOKS good. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
jim1932

when I did my 32 I had an issue on one side. Turned out to be a bad connection between the socket and the reflector. Just saying you may want to think about whether they have a good ground.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:03 PM   #5
ford38v8

Anthony, The common element to all your lights is the fuse under the dash. No other place needs to be checked other than to know if the dome light will light if it had power. Not saying there are no other issues, but that fuse is the only thing common to all your lights.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
AnthonyG

The fuse was half the problem, I used old but unused fuses originally ( 20 yrs plus ) and just replaced with fresh new one. Now the lights won't go off. Obviously has to be in the light switch body which is the other point which all of the light circuits go through. I thought I had it right when I assembled the new light switch body and harness but must have missed the alignment of the fork that moves inside. Will open and realign and try again.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
AnthonyG

Got them working, it was the alignment of the switch body to the fork at the end of the horn rod was bad. Reset the forks at 12 oclock and 6oclock reassembled and it worked. Thx for the inputs.