Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
Old Henry

Default More fun at Jiffy Lube

I wish I'd had my video camera rolling. It was so entertaining.

I love to take Old Henry in to Jiffy Lube for an oil change and watch the folks work. Today, as soon as I pulled it in and opened the hood, 4 or 5 gathered around to look at the engine compartment. I brought my own oil and filter and provided the wrench for the drain plug and a diagram of the 18 zerks that needed grease. The guy underneath seemed to know what to do without much problem but on top was quite another matter. The girl that seemed to be in charge of the place took it upon her self to change the filter. After staring at it a while I came to her rescue and explained how she had to remove the plug on the side at the bottom of the canister to drain the oil out of it into the long funnel I provided into the drain pan underneath then went back in to watch through the window. She soon called for a selection of 11, 12, 13, and 14 mm wrenches from the guy down under. I stepped out and told her, "This is not a Japanese car. It has English size nuts and bolts. You know, 1/2" 9/16", etc. Not millimeters." She looked bewildered for a moment then said, "We don't do much with those here but I think I know where we have some that size." So she goes over in the corner and opens a tool box and pulls out a selection of end wrenches and brings them over to try. Can't get a one to work. Goes back to the box and pulls out this gigantic crescent wrench to take the little plug out with. I about stepped in to offer my sockets or end wrenches from the trunk but I was having too much fun. She finally got the plug out to drain the oil out. Then, removed the lid, got the filter out, put the new one in, worked the new gasket into the lid and put it back on OK. The fun part of that was the grimace on her face the whole time worried that she wasn't doing it right. She put the oil in then got in to start it to check for leaks. Watched her sit there trying to figure out how to start it for a while before going out to coach her. Showed her the kill switch up by the rear view mirror to turn on then said put it in neutral. Of course she had no clue about the "three on the tree" gear shifter. She had both the clutch and brake pedals to the floor so I reached in and put it in neutral for her and told her she could let those pedals up, which she did slowly and cautiously, then told her to push the starter button. It started right up, she let up on the button and wondered if it was really going it was so quiet. I told her it was going and to push on the gas pedal to speed the engine up. She didn't seem to be sure which of the pedals that was. I told her and she pushed it a bit to speed up the engine and yelled for someone to check for leaks. Then shut it off.

After a bit it looked like they were all done and expected her to come in and take my money and have me drive it out per usual but, instead, she was in the driver's seat again. I went out and she said, "The other guys just want me to pull it out so they can get a picture." She was moving the gear shift up and down trying to figure out how it worked. Well, actually, she thought she had it figured out. She put it up to second, "This if forward. Right?" Then down to third, "And this is backward?"

I relieved her of the job of pulling it out and did it for the photo session. Then went in and paid and drove away while they all watched with admiration.

Good time had by all.

Last edited by Old Henry; 03-07-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
rheltzel

Default Re: More fun at Jiffy Lube

I'm surprised they didn't ask you if you can drive your car on the freeway.
rheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
Ralph Moore

I love it, reminds me of the time I was in Texas wiring money to Alaska, the girl couldn't make the computer program work because she entering Alaska as a foreign country, I was just smiling and enjoying the show, then she finally calls her supervisor over who does the exact same thing.
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
V12Bill

And you keep taking your car back to these idiots???
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheltzel View Post
I'm surprised they didn't ask you if you can drive your car on the freeway.
Actually had one of the customers ask that.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
PeterC

gosh - you are a better man then me! I am the type that does my own service and pays a valet NOT to park my car - any car!
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
Steves46

You are one brave fellow!
Old 03-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
52merc

more money than sense
Old 03-07-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
Fibber Mcgee

I don't think you do this because you need an oil change. I think it's a form of entertainment when your bored.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #10
Old Henry

Oh. One more I forgot.
At the beginning the girl came to me in a bit and said, "I know you've been in here many times but I can't find you in our computer. What's your name?" I told her and she went back to the computer. "Oh, I see the problem. Someone put your license plate number in as 47V5622."

Here are my plates:

Makes sense. Doesn't it?
Old 03-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #11
r_reed

a guy at an tire store didn't know about the starter button on my 49 f1. he just about twisted the ignition switch out of the dash trying to get the starter to engage. i told the guy driving it in where the start was but a different guy tried to drive it out.
East Glenville NY
r_reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #12
Gary in La.

My biggest worry would be the amount of torque she applied to that little plug with the big wrench! These places are noted for stripping out drain plugs. The same goes for the bolt on the filter cap. Big size but not that much torque required.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #13
Lawrie

What Henry, No photos,
I,m disappointed.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:58 PM   #14
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Moore View Post
I love it, reminds me of the time I was in Texas wiring money to Alaska, the girl couldn't make the computer program work because she entering Alaska as a foreign country, I was just smiling and enjoying the show, then she finally calls her supervisor over who does the exact same thing.
Ever see the clip from 'Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader ?' where that ditzy blond is puzzled over the capital of Hungary? She thinks Europe is a country, and it goes down hill from there. Check it out on YouTube.

I thought 'Can somebody who went thru the U.S. school system honestly be this stupid?' then to my horror, I realized 'yes they can.' People are getting dumber and dumber as time goes by.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #15
19Fordy

You are very brave.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #16
Bolts

It's a horror story!
Old 03-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #17
A bones

While I can appreciate concerns of mishandling a treasure, I gotta point out - decades from now that girl will be reminded somehow and wistfully reflect on trying to hear your engine. Sharing is fun even when its outside the circle.
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #18
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by A bones View Post
While I can appreciate concerns of mishandling a treasure, I gotta point out - decades from now that girl will be reminded somehow and wistfully reflect on trying to hear your engine. Sharing is fun even when its outside the circle.
X2 on that. And she even had a little drive.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #19
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52merc View Post
more money than sense
Man, that's a little harsh isn't it
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #20
41ford1

A quote from the HAMB. Pictures or it didn't happen. I like a laugh please take pictures next time.

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote