Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
37coop

Default 12 volt electric fuel pump wont stop ticking plus fuel guage starts from full.

Hi guys , On my 51 F1 I have connected up the all electric 12 volt fuel system ,a new imported pump rated at 9 pounds and a new pressure regulator set to two and a half pounds , after the initial filling up the bowl the pump continues to give the ticking sound ,I cant smell gas as in flooding and the see through bowl of the fuel filter doesn't appear to have fuel moving through it but doesn't stop ticking .
Also the fuel gauge starts at full and when the ignition is turned on it drops to empty, i connected the battery the wrong way round briefly .(its now 12 v and neg earth),i would that have anything to do with it ?
The restoration is almost finished ,just these niggly annoying bits that keeps holding me up ,any help would be appreciated , many thanks Jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #2
tiger.1000

Default Re: 12 volt electric fuel pump wont stop ticking plus fuel guage starts from full.

Coop.....if the pump is drawing air at any point it will continue to tick even though pumping fuel. This is a common problem often encountered on UK made SU electric fuel pumps

Hope this helps ?
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
66miles

Default Re: 12 volt electric fuel pump wont stop ticking plus fuel guage starts from full.

Hi Jim,

On the subject of your " malfunctioning" fuel guage...
Not sure how the old Ford fuel guage and sender work together, but I can tell you that I have a temperature guage in my '47 merc car that does a similar wacky thing. I replaced ALL the old wiring about a year ago, but retained all the guages and senders as they appeared to work fine. The car still runs the original 6-volt positive ground. Since the re-wire, everything seems to work fine with one strange exception. When I turn the ignition on, the temp quage leaps immediately to the "hot" position, before very quickly dropping back to "cold". From there on, it works perfectly. It doesn't exactly worry me, since for all intents and purposes, the guage functions. I just often wonder if it is normal or not. Seems a little odd that's all. Might be related to your issue somehow.

Miles.
66miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
tiger.1000

Coop, generally speaking pumps will function negative or positive earth so I doubt if the ticking is an electrical issue. I put my money on an air leak
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
37coop

Thanks Tiger ,do you mean it ticks when NOT pumping fuel ? drawing air maybe could be the reason but all new hoses and new tight clamps so I sort of doubt its doing that , thanks Jim.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #6
37coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66miles View Post
Hi Jim,

On the subject of your " malfunctioning" fuel guage...
Not sure how the old Ford fuel guage and sender work together, but I can tell you that I have a temperature guage in my '47 merc car that does a similar wacky thing. I replaced ALL the old wiring about a year ago, but retained all the guages and senders as they appeared to work fine. The car still runs the original 6-volt positive ground. Since the re-wire, everything seems to work fine with one strange exception. When I turn the ignition on, the temp quage leaps immediately to the "hot" position, before very quickly dropping back to "cold". From there on, it works perfectly. It doesn't exactly worry me, since for all intents and purposes, the guage functions. I just often wonder if it is normal or not. Seems a little odd that's all. Might be related to your issue somehow.

Miles.
Thanks Miles , with the truck the temp gauge starts from hot and drops to normal when ignition is turned on ,that's how its supposed to be , not sure about the gas gauge though still scratching my head with that one , cheers Jim
Old 03-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #7
66miles

Jim,
Does the fuel guage function normally outside of the issue you mention?
66miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
Tudorp

If you upgraded to a 12v negative ground from a 6v postive ground, you will also have to switch polarity on your gauges (reversing the wires). Without doing that, your gauges that were originally wired for positive ground will work backwards in a negative ground system.

If that is your case, I would bet that your amp gauge also shows a slightly on the discharge side when the engine is running in lue of slightly on the charge side?
Tudorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #9
George/Maine

I had a problem with the electric pump that I installed I made lot of noise.
This was a new pump.
I had been welding on the car and may have popped the alternator.
Try and disconnect the alt and see if it stops. Then start car and test that way just the battery.
When I replaced the alternator it has been fine since.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:36 PM   #10
Drbrown

Glad the gauge subject came up. My '47 was also converted to 12v neg ground before I got it. My amp and oil gauge read correctly but that darn gas gauge .... when I fill up the tank it reads about half full and as I was up the gas the needle indicator moves toward "full" ! I'm guessing I've got at least two of these problems .... I should try reversing the wires on the fuel gauge, and try to figure out why the gauge settles at the half-way point when full. Dan
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #11
Tudorp

Not recently, but a past car of mine wouldn't go over a half tank. It would read half tank until it actually got to half full and went down from there. The fix as easy. I just took out the sending unit, and bent the float arm a bit to "adjust" it, and just tweaked it until it would get me a full sweep indication of the gauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbrown View Post
Glad the gauge subject came up. My '47 was also converted to 12v neg ground before I got it. My amp and oil gauge read correctly but that darn gas gauge .... when I fill up the tank it reads about half full and as I was up the gas the needle indicator moves toward "full" ! I'm guessing I've got at least two of these problems .... I should try reversing the wires on the fuel gauge, and try to figure out why the gauge settles at the half-way point when full. Dan
Tudorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #12
TJ

If your gas gauge is not reading correctly remove the sending unit and check the float. You may have a float that is leaking and has some gas inside of it.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #13
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
If your gas gauge is not reading correctly remove the sending unit and check the float. You may have a float that is leaking and has some gas inside of it.

I would go with TJ on the float thing. I had a past V8 and my current Mustang that had a hole in the float and when they get gas in them they won't lift all the way. I solved the v8 one by getting the gas out and soldering up the hole. I simply got a new one for the Mustang. Problem solved. If there's no hole I'd look at sweep of the floatarm and adjust...a bit like bending the arm on the ballcock in your toilet.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:42 AM   #14
37coop

Thanks for all advice guys ,electric stuff is a complete unknown science to me ,I havn,t yet started the truck since the engine rebuild and I have rewired it wire by wire and got in bit of a muckin fuddle so my mind is thinking I,v done something wrong, the polarity and the float check up I,ll action on ,
the transfer from 6 to 12 and the ground from pos to neg was done before I bought the truck ,I,v noted it doesn't appear to have been fitted with voltage reducers for the gauges,i,v ordered some from Carpenter and am waiting for delivery,
when I first got the truck all the gauges seemed to work o.k. I,m just connecting stuff ready for the first fire up since a full year spent on the truck rebuild ........just aggravating small things holding me up,as with most things it will all come together eventually, thanks again Jim.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:46 AM   #15
37coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66miles View Post
Jim,
Does the fuel guage function normally outside of the issue you mention?
I,m not sure ,I don't know how much gas is in the tank ,
when I first bought the truck it appeared to ,it seems its all over the place since I started working on it , thanks Jim.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:49 AM   #16
37coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by George/Maine View Post
I had a problem with the electric pump that I installed I made lot of noise.
This was a new pump.
I had been welding on the car and may have popped the alternator.
Try and disconnect the alt and see if it stops. Then start car and test that way just the battery.
When I replaced the alternator it has been fine since.
thanks George I,v done no welding bit its worth a try with the dynamo disconnected , cheers Jim.