Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #1
Tim Ayers

Default Cracked 99A block- Looking for a good shop in NE with experience fixing this

OK, this is the second 99A block that I've torn down and the second one with the same crack in one of the cylinders. One was a factory relieved block and this one isn't.

I know anything can be fixed and I don't plan to use it for my current build, but this tear down fought me so much, I refuse to give in and let it die unless it's a losing battle. I'd like to eventually get it fixed to use later on down the road.

Does anyone know of an quality machine shop in the North East that has experience fixing these types of cracks?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crack .jpg (34.7 KB, 179 views)
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
Kerk

Default Re: Cracked 99A block- Looking for a good shop in NE with experience fixing this

You need to get in touch with Casey in the Worchester , Ma. area. Someone will have the info. He does excellent work. kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Cracked 99A block- Looking for a good shop in NE with experience fixing this

Frank Casey is the man
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:25 AM   #4
Eagle43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Frank Casey is the man
Just about finished fixing two cracks like that with Irontite plugs in my 8BA block, cylinder #2 and #3. Hope to finish tomorrow. My repairs passed the "leak" test today and I just have to finish cleaning up the cylinder walls so the rings will seal. I'll post some pictures in a day or two on my "Hairline Crack" thread.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #5
Tony, NY

Al pinned a crack he found while doing some engine work for me. He's a Ford Barn member. Albany,NY area. Worth contacting and asking. http://www.godevilgarage.com/
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:10 AM   #6
Frank Miller

I got 40k on a block Frank Casey fixed
Old 02-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #7
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
I got 40k on a block Frank Casey fixed
Hi Frank:

Do you happen to have Frank's contact information? I tried doing a google search and wasn't able to find anything.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:06 AM   #8
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony, NY View Post
Al pinned a crack he found while doing some engine work for me. He's a Ford Barn member. Albany,NY area. Worth contacting and asking. http://www.godevilgarage.com/
Thank you. I left him a message this AM. If either Frank or Al think they can repair these blocks, I'll bring them two since one is already magg'd and cleaned.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:01 AM   #9
Ol' Ron

I'm glad to see others are getting into this method of fixing cracked blocks we''ll need them in the future.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #10
rotorwrench

Those prewar Mercury and truck blocks definitely don't grow on trees. If only one crack is found and it is completely accessible, it's worth the trouble to do a proper repair.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:50 PM   #11
John R

Tim,
Excello Machine should be close to you. These guys repair cast iron in expensive industrial equipment, including Caterpillar engines, etc. Check them out.

Excello Machine & Welding Works
260-2 Tenth Ave
Patterson, NJ 07524
973-523-5852
Old 02-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #12
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R View Post
Tim,
Excello Machine should be close to you. These guys repair cast iron in expensive industrial equipment, including Caterpillar engines, etc. Check them out.

Excello Machine & Welding Works
260-2 Tenth Ave
Patterson, NJ 07524
973-523-5852

Thank you, John. Yes, Patterson is real close to me.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:22 PM   #13
Tim Ayers

I guess the next step is to get it cleaned and magg'd to make sure this is the only crack.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:32 PM   #14
flatford8

Cleaned, magged and “pressure tested”..... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #15
Frank Miller

Google worked for me but I knew he was in Millbury. Next town over
Technical
In last month's tech, it was mentioned that hardened valve seats were secured in place with special
threaded pins.
The work was done by Frank Casey who does metal stitching of cast iron without heat. He also does
magnaflux testing for cracks. Tel. 508-865-6613 15 Phillips Drive, Millbury, MA 01527
Other applications of cold repair of cracked or broken castings, large or small: Auto heads and block
Old 02-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #16
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Google worked for me but I knew he was in Millbury. Next town over
Technical
In last month's tech, it was mentioned that hardened valve seats were secured in place with special
threaded pins.
The work was done by Frank Casey who does metal stitching of cast iron without heat. He also does
magnaflux testing for cracks. Tel. 508-865-6613 15 Phillips Drive, Millbury, MA 01527
Other applications of cold repair of cracked or broken castings, large or small: Auto heads and block
Thank you! Nothing came up when I did name and state. I guess the town was the needed missing link. Millbury is showing a 3+ hour drive for me.

Heck, I drove 2.75 hours to get the block! Haha.

Talked to Al @ Go Devil yesterday. Sending him picts. to see what he thinks.

I need to get the wire wheel out of I think I found another crack, but it's too dirty to tell.

I think one crack will make me go forward. Two cracks may make this block a goner. I don't think I would trust it with two repairs.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #17
Frank Miller

If you drive up here I'll show you a few cool places.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #18
Tim Ayers

Quote:
If you drive up here I'll show you a few cool places.
Frank:

Sounds like a plan. Thank you!

Tim