Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2015, 07:29 AM   #1
Robert/Texas

Default Driving Model A after hip replacement

About three weeks ago we had some great weather so I decided to take my two A's out for a drive. My left leg was hurting badly so I had a lot of trouble getting in both of them, especially the '28 RPU. It was easier to get in the '28 roadster but with both cars it was hard to operate the clutch.

I went to my family internist and she had my left hip x-rayed and sent me to an orthopedist. I went through a barrage of tests and now I am scheduled for a hip replacement on 3/3. All of this was done by Houston Methodist Hospital doctors with excellent credentials so I am hoping for the best. They say I'll be walking up stairs in three days.

My question is if any Model A driver (especially early open cars) has had their lift hip replaced and what was the outcome for driving your A? I'm hopeful but a bit frightened as I'm 80 years old and this will be my first surgery.

Thanks, Robert
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:21 AM   #2
armchair67

Default Re: Driving Model A after hip replacement

I am 41, so never had a hip replacement, but some of my older relatives have, and those that have had it done in more recent years have had great results, as opposed to say my grandmother who did the same 25 years ago-technology seems to have been an amazing help in the past few years. From what I observe, keeping your weight in check and staying active are also key.
armchair67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
Tom Cavallaro

On November the 14th I had my left leg knee replacement and I was concerned about being able to clutch, or get down and under the car. The key is to get all of the therapy you are entitled too. I am down to one day a week now, but I can drive, since all but one vehicle I own is standard transmission. Trust me, as much as it hurt....do the therapy!!!
Old 03-01-2015, 09:51 AM   #4
Fhane

I am 72 years old with both hips replaced. No problem getting in or out of the Model A. Easy to drive. You won't know the difference from a youngster. Get it done you will not be sorry. Everything in life will be better.
Fhane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #5
John Duden

make sure to take your old hip home, I saw a guy once who made a walking cane out of his old hip!
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
John Kuhnast

Smile Re: Driving Model A after hip replacement

Therapy,therapy and more therapy. I had both knees done last spring.Next day they had me walking up and down stairs.I could not get in my closed cab pickup last summer. Don't expect any problem as soon as snow melts. Old? I got my first model A in 1953 Do exactly what they tell you. Pain really very little. Good luck
John Kuhnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
Minn-Tex Lee

I had my left hip replaced a few years back and have no trouble getting in or out of my '31 Roadster. You will love the new one.
Lee
Minn-Tex Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
Rex_A_Lott

My Uncle had his left hip replaced, and after it was all over he has no trouble driving his '67 Ford pickup w/ straight drive transmission.
Good Luck with your surgery and recovery!
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
tbirdtbird
BANNED

when in therapy give it **hell**. therapy is how you recover.....
Old 03-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #10
1931 flamingo

Approx 10-11 years ago I had my left hip replaced. Was driving a 24' Freightliner at the time. No problems.
Prior to Aug 2013 I had some pain and after tests it was determined I had 2 pseudo tumors supposedly caused by metal flaking off the hip insert, then it became infected. 7 1/2 hr operation to remove old hardware, given a temp joint inserted into anti-biotic cement. Non weight bearing until infection gone, IV and oral anti-biotics. Dec 2013 new hip installed. April 2014 back to work and driving the A. NO PROBLEMS since, except I now use a cane because I "waddle" due to so much muscle removed when they cut the tumors out. Yes, do the therapy. You'll be walking the same day of the operation. TAKE the pain meds offered, at your age you won't become addicted. No reason for anyone to have pain in this day and age. JMO

Good Luck ! ! !
paul
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:40 PM   #11
mshmodela

Best wishes with your surgery.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:50 PM   #12
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Talking Re: Driving Model A after hip replacement

i also wish you good luck..
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #13
dlfrisch

I have two new knees, two metal plates in my back repairing my spin, had left shoulder cuff replacement, crushed left foot repair, healed broken leg, healed broken nose (motorcycle accent), can't remember any others - I'm 75 and I can't complain about any lack of movement. I get in and out of my '30 A, ride my Road King Harley and live on....my son says I'm modified. REMEMBER like others say - do your required PT.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:08 PM   #14
Barry B./ Ma.

I had my right knee replaced by an implant in 2012 and after therapy and 8 weeks after the operation I was walking Hershey. After the first month I was able to get into my 30 roadster but couldn't move the right leg enough to shift so I heated the bottom of the shifter and bent it enough for clearance. I have full mobility and no pain now so I would highly recommend the operation, I understand knee operations are tougher than hips so think positive, the old joints don't get better by themselves. Good luck, Barry
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:11 PM   #15
hardtimes

Hey Robert,
Best of luck to you with your surgery in two days ! Will be thinking of you,eh !
I had to re read your statements several times to make sure I read correctly. Having a hard time understanding how in heck you could reach 80 years...and this is FIRST surgery ! Wow, I'm envious of your 'luck' and genealogy
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:39 PM   #16
Step-down

Had my first hip replaced at 45 years old ,second at 55. Follow Dx precautions , leg exercise and stretch .......
Old 03-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #17
SeaSlugs

Well a coworker of mine had his replaced (he is around 58 years old) because he couldn't sit for more than 20 minutes on his motorcycle and hurt to put his foot down when he had to stop, couldnt get out of chairs without pain, etc. Had his hip replaced and within 3 weeks he was back riding again pain free, he said if he knew it would feel this much better he would have had it done months ago.

but yes DO the physical therapy and DO the home exercises, id imagine they offer some kind of extended stay therapy at the hospital after your allowed to go home.

When my mom had her knee replacement she could have gone home in 3 days, but we thought it would be best if she stayed a week longer in their physical therapy department where she would see a physical therapist 3 times a day every day for the week VS one time a day 3 times a week at her house. So when she came home she "hit the ground running" so to speak and could go up and down stairs and get in and out of bed without help.

Might be beneficial to you at your age (no offense but just the facts of life - the older you get the longer your body takes to recover) to look into something like that to speed up the recovery time.

And yes, its going to be stiff and hurt a bit but that's all the recovery process - no pain no gain!
Old 03-01-2015, 05:25 PM   #18
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i would get the heck out of those places ASAP for fear of catching something else and do the therapy at home or a private outpatient center....
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #19
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kuhnast View Post
Therapy,therapy and more therapy. I had both knees done last spring.Next day they had me walking up and down stairs.I could not get in my closed cab pickup last summer. Don't expect any problem as soon as snow melts. Old? I got my first model A in 1953 Do exactly what they tell you. Pain really very little. Good luck

Robert, wishing you all the luck in the world. Having managed a rehab clinic may I echo John's theme - take your time and do all of the therapy.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:39 PM   #20
ModelAMike1930

Best Of luck for a speedy recovery..Im 77 and no hip problems yet..Knock on wood..
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote