Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
metalho

Default Carburetor float valve styles

Grose Jet Style over original Zenith Carburetor Float Valve. Any opinions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A9550GJZ_pJPG.jpg (21.2 KB, 11 views)
metalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
160B

Default Re: Carburetor float valve styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalho View Post

I prefer the grose jet style over all others , even the viton tip!!!!
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I lapped my original needle and seat with toothpaste about 12 years ago. Hasn't leaked a drop since.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
mass A man

Had problem with two separate Viton tipped needles at two different times so I went back to the only thing I had in the used parts box, a Henry ford original valve, as is, and it has not leaked in three years.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Jerry Parr WI

Originals I have had occasionally stick and not shut off. Tried the grose jet but it regularly failed. That was an old one not a Stipe so no experience with it. At the national meet in 1976 I bought a viton tipped valve and have not turned off the gas since then except for service. Did buy a viton one for another car that was poorly modified from some unknown vehicle and the tip was not captive in the body. It was not reliable so I did not use it. Think I got the good ones from A&L.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
[email protected]

Over twenty five years ago, I had a Model A carb expert tell me that the Grose Jet valves would limit the top end speed of a Model A versus the original. He called it having a constipated carburetor. I personally can't back this up as I have tried all of the different valve styles and never experienced this as I seldom go much faster then 55.

I have seen all different quality standards in the viton tip valves from different vendors so it depends on which one you get. I can not recall now from which vendor I purchased my viton tipped valves over the years but I seen poor machining and ill fitted keeper washers on some.

I have now gone back to using the original Zenith valves with successful, no leaking results.
I have honed in these original valves by using a drill to spin them with lapping compound and then tapped them with a hammer to make sure they seat well to a proper seal.
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
ford31

original is my choice and pure gas and do use electric shut off and no problems here
ford31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
MikeK

Original steel pin. If you think about it, the steel balls are really the same thing. Steel against a brass seat. Unfortunately the balls occasionally hang up.

Unfortunately Viton comes in four grades, A,B,F, and a collection of specialty compounds. It is virtually guaranteed that a float pin labeled "Viton" does not have actual Viton, it's a trademark of Dupont. What you may get is a knockoff HFP dipolymer that's OK in non-oxygenated gas. In E10 they get a bit gummy. Given the very low gravity fuel pressure they occasionally stick closed. With a pump they're OK.

A true and proper modern gas Viton valve would have type F (a terpolymer) or one of the specialty blends resistant to oxygenated (E10, etc.) fuels. I really believe those people with A's that have gone years with a Viton tip valve 'got a good one', the proper grade. It's a crap shoot what you'll get in different batches from the same supplier without an expensive documentation paper trail.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
[email protected]

Don't forget that a lot of leaking carburetors and sticking float valves are actually due to a worn area on the float tongue where the valve rubs against it.
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalho View Post
I've tried the Grose Jet twice about 15 years apart thinking the new ones may be good. I had the same problem with both which seems to be inherent in the design. When I park the cars inside I've always turned off the gas and ran the carburetor dry. What happens with the Grose Jet on occasion is when the valve is reopened the rush of gas gets the ball oscillating and it can't seat. The result is gas pouring out onto the floor and a mad rush to whack the carb and make it stop! Of course turning the gas back off would stop it as well but both times I SAW this occur I had stepped out of the car.