Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
Sixseven

Default Deluxe standard instrument bezel

I've seen several instrument clusters for the 40 ford and see some bezels painted and some chromed. I'm afraid I haven't been paying attention to recall if one or the other was on a car that was either standard or deluxe trim. What model gets chrome What model got painted?

Actually, I just noticed an article showing a standard instrument cluster that looks like the one in my 41 truck. That one has a full face of clear glass. The other one I see has a metal face either painted or chromed. Clarification please

Last edited by Sixseven; 09-08-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Deluxe standard instrument bezel

The first pic is a '40 Standard coupe.

Second pic is a '40 DeLuxe coupe. Both are authentic, STOCK restorations by Mike Kubarth (Kube). DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:23 PM   #3
Fred A

There is a recent posting sorting out the differences between the pickup and passenger Ford V8(standard) instruments. Deluxe is not a totally different matter for the '40 passenger in that I use a deluxe instrument cluster with the "standard" bezel, not because I really love it, but it's what I have. Working on a correct Deluxe cluster, artistically pretty drab and not my favorite, but have to protect my investment. From a previous car, collected a complete set of instruments NIB for the Ford V8. Interesting the number of '40 owners that would now rather have a "standard", me included. Good Luck: Fred A

Last edited by Fred A; 09-08-2016 at 03:37 PM. Reason: clarity
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #4
Sixseven

Thanks coop! On the deluxe i see some chromed and some painted. What's the background there?
Old 09-08-2016, 03:57 PM   #5
Sixseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
There is a recent posting sorting out the differences between the pickup and passenger Ford V8(standard) instruments. Deluxe is not a totally different matter for the '40 passenger in that I use a deluxe instrument cluster with the "standard" bezel, not because I really love it, but it's what I have. Working on a correct Deluxe cluster, artistically pretty drab and not my favorite, but have to protect my investment. From a previous car, collected a complete set of instruments NIB for the Ford V8. Interesting the number of '40 owners that would now rather have a "standard", me included. Good Luck: Fred A
Thanks Fred
Old 09-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixseven View Post
Thanks coop! On the deluxe i see some chromed and some painted. What's the background there?
Some of the street rod outfits sells them in cheezy chrome and aluminum billet. What you see in Kube's coupe is the way it should be STOCK. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:03 PM   #7
bobwellsnoveltyshop

Here is a picture of the 1941 ford pickup instrument cluster that I recently done for a barner to the correct mileage. The 1941 pickup had the stainless bezel and starting in the 42's the bezel was painted. Also in the 42's they had the 80 lb. oil gauge face and the 41 and some early 42's had the 50 lb. oil gauge face.The deluxe had the plastic tan full front bezel as pictured earlier and the standard in Kube's is a correct one for the pickup and standard. Aftermarket manufacturers have the chrome full face if desired.
BILL WELLS
bobwellsnoveltyshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:18 PM   #8
Sixseven

Thanks Bob. I have both a painted bezel 42 and chrome bezel 41 cluster. Wondered if the war effort eliminated the chrome. I also now see the oil pressure difference of 50 to 80 pounds. Why was that? The 42 cluster I have is in good shape the 41 is going to need a little work, oh well.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:49 PM   #9
bobwellsnoveltyshop

Sixseven, I'm not sure why Henry went to an 80 lb. oil pressure gauge and sender on the 42's and up, it may have been that sometime the 50 lb. oil pressure gauge needle was getting close to the end and didn't want to bend the needle or stress on the inner windings of the gauge? and I'm sure the war was why they went from the stainless(rustless steel) bezel to painting them.
BILL
Old 09-09-2016, 12:30 AM   #10
karasmer

Now that you guys brought it up, on a 40 is the dash opening the same size to accept either a deluxe or standard speedo and gauge cluster? also when restoring these can a decal of some sorts be had, can't imagine how to replicate the factory paint detail on these?
karasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:35 AM   #11
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Between the two Photos I like the Standard better.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:22 AM   #12
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasmer View Post
Now that you guys brought it up, on a 40 is the dash opening the same size to accept either a deluxe or standard speedo and gauge cluster? also when restoring these can a decal of some sorts be had, can't imagine how to replicate the factory paint detail on these?
The dash openings are the same. I've seen decals advertised on eBay in the past.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:43 AM   #13
19Fordy

BOB DRAKE use to sell the instrument cluster decal years ago.
Don't know if he still does.
Check Dennis carpenter too. Notice that the 40 Standard cluster does not have an odometer setting, but the modification can be made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06835 (Small).JPG (47.1 KB, 15 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #14
bobwellsnoveltyshop

I restore the instrument clusters and sell the overlays (decals) for the standard, deluxe and 41-47 pickups (100 MPH) and the 1940-48 ford big trucks (60 MPH) I also have the 1948-50 ford pickup overlays and redo all that I list and I also have the odometer numbers for the Stewart Warner, Waltham and the King Seeley speedometers, plus the 1940-48 Internationals.
BILL WELLS [email protected]
Old 09-09-2016, 06:40 PM   #15
russcc

Never noticed the difference between a std vs deluxe inst cluster. The std is simple, straightforward and more appealing, to me, like the rest of the '40 std coupe.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:29 AM   #16
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
BOB DRAKE use to sell the instrument cluster decal years ago.
Don't know if he still does.
Check Dennis carpenter too. Notice that the 40 Standard cluster does not have an odometer setting, but the modification can be made.
Drake was selling the new standard instrument faces in metal. I bought a couple of sets from him. I think you can still get them. Much better than decals.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote