Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
Steve in Tampa

Default pressure plate adjustment

how do you do it , what is the procedure . thanks, sc
Steve in Tampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: pressure plate adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Tampa View Post
how do you do it , what is the procedure . thanks, sc

I am not sure of the reason why so many like to do this, but to do it correctly involves a flat surface and a height gauge. Is there a reason why you are wanting to do his?? Is there an issue or is this just something you would like to do??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:12 PM   #3
daveymc29

Brent, what do you use as the desired setting? Some of our club members have purchased pressure plates that have WAY different measurements on the fingers than what show in the books. Some had variations of 1/4 inch in the finger lengths on the same pressure plates. That may be the reason for the original question.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:02 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Brent, what do you use as the desired setting? Some of our club members have purchased pressure plates that have WAY different measurements on the fingers than what show in the books. Some had variations of 1/4 inch in the finger lengths on the same pressure plates. That may be the reason for the original question.
I set totally off of compressed finger height using a surface plate and a height gauge however having different finger lengths will never work. The finger height number will change just from clutch disc thickness however the trunion is adjustable on the clutch link to compensate for and adjust free-play. It is more important that the finger height be uniform. To my point is, if a pressure plate was rebuilt by a knowledgeable rebuilder, what makes someone need to re-adjust the finger height? If the finger lengths are different, they probably need to find a new supplier.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #5
Y-Blockhead

Both Bratton's and Snyder's (and probably others) say to adjust the pressure plate in their on-line catalogs. Bratton's even sells a height gauge.

I think as Brent says that the main thing is to ensure they are all the same.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:12 AM   #6
daveymc29

The pressure plates we were addressing were represented to be new, not rebuilds. Sold by the main venders.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #7
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

Using a clutch disk alignment tool, line up the clutch disk in the flywheel. Bolt on your pressure plate. Measure the distance from the back of pressure plate to the pressure plate fingers. Adjust the depth of the fingers to either 5/8" or 11/16".
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:11 PM   #8
BillLee/Chandler, TX

New pressure plate (V8 clutch) from Brattons had not only perfect finger heights but was also balanced!
Old 01-26-2019, 01:36 PM   #9
Patrick L.

I don't have a problem with setting the fingers at either 5/8 or 11/16 as long as there is no more than .002" variation.
I don't use a height gauge as such, I use a piece of round stock turned to the diameter [ 5/8 or 11/16] wanted. Then just adjust each finger to an equal drag on the round stock. Give each finger a couple love taps and check/set it again.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #10
Mikeinnj

Do I understand that the suppliers are selling pressure plates that are incorectly adjusted and they expect the customers to make the corrections? Sounds like going to a deli and ordering a sandwich and they hand you two pieces of bread and a bag of cold cuts.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:24 AM   #11
100IH

Often, new p/p assemblys have the nuts staked so that they will break before breaking loose.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:23 PM   #12
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

The only vendor I am aware of that adjusts rebuilt pressure plate fingers prior to shipping is Bert's Model A Ford Center. When you receive the pressure plate from Bert's, you can just bolt it on. I have installed more than one and speak from experience.
This adjustment is critical. My first installation of a pressure plate and clutch disk was 16 years ago and was purchased from a different vendor. I was a newbie and unaware of the pressure plate adjustment. The installation was a total failure. I ended up replacing a failed pressure plate and throw out bearing after 1,000 miles.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:30 PM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
The pressure plates we were addressing were represented to be new, not rebuilds. Sold by the main venders.

I think this is where I may have misunderstood as I don't think I have ever installed a new Model-A style pressure plate since rebuilding one is more economical. I probably have 10+ original cores now on the shelf and have scrapped way more original-style P/Ps than I could ever count just because of converting to the V-8 P/Plates.

My point above was, -and to confirm what others have already suggested is that anything between 0.625 - 0.750 is fine. Where the critical measurement that I did not see discussed above is the step measurement of the flywheel. The finger height adjustment is affected by this measurement which is 1.125' if I recall correctly (-someone needs to verify this to make sure.). Otherwise, anywhere in the range of 0.625-0.750 is going to be fine as long as all fingers are of uniform compressed height.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com