Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2019, 11:31 PM   #1
thom

Default '28 coupe door check straps

Our '28 coupe has no door check straps on it. The door panels have been recovered and no holes have been made in the panels for the straps. I think the straps should be present to prevent the doors from ever being opened too far and putting pressure on the hinges. That's pretty much the purpose of the straps, right? The parts catalogs list different length straps. I guess just the shortest ones that will allow the doors to open far enough are what we want? The doors will never need to open more than 90 degrees out from the body, max.
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:55 AM   #2
Mike Peters

Default Re: '28 coupe door check straps

This is my 28 tudor, same door as your 28 coupe. No side mount spare. 8" strap. Door swings out to 90 degrees and stops. Works well. Snyders says to use the 6" strap with side mount spare tire. If you have no fender mounted spare tire, I would go with the 8" strap. It's tricky to punch the bolt holes in your door panel accurately. Patience and care advised. You only get to do it once. Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-P1150581.jpg (60.5 KB, 25 views)
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: '28 coupe door check straps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
This is my 28 tudor, same door as your 28 coupe. No side mount spare. 8" strap. Door swings out to 90 degrees and stops. Works well. Snyders says to use the 6" strap with side mount spare tire. If you have no fender mounted spare tire, I would go with the 8" strap. It's tricky to punch the bolt holes in your door panel accurately. Patience and care advised. You only get to do it once. Good luck

The trick we use is buy a package of stainless screws from one of the big box stores. Cut two screws about 5-6 threads from the end. Chuck the cut-off section into a drill and spin it while you sharpen the freshly cut end with either a grinder or even a file. Now screw the two pieces into either the door or the cowl with the pointed end outward. You can use Vise-grips or pliers for this however the threads really should be clean enough where you can screw them in by hand. With just the points protruding, temporarily re-install the door/cowl kick panels now and lightly hit the panel with the palm of your hand right over-top of the pointed ends. This will transfer a dimple mark for the exact location of the screw hole. Remove the panels. Now you have a reference to punch/drill your holes.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote