Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
JOHN CT

Default Buying radial tires

It’s time to replace the tires on my A. I heard good things about Coker American classic radial 19in. I have 19in Firestones bias ply on now. The question I have is the spear tire has never touched the ground it looks brand new. Would you replace the spare with a new radial? At $206 a tire I can use some of that money for 4 radial tubes instead
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:16 PM   #2
MikeK

Default Re: Buying radial tires

That would depend on several things:

1) Are you just a local sort of driver, less than 100 miles from home or do you do longer trips? If (when!) you get a flat, then mixing a bias and a radial on the same axle will compromise handling safety. OK to get home a short distance but not the best situation to continue a longer trip.

2) Are you the you the type that rotates tires including spares to get max tread life? Apparently no from what you said. If that is the case think about the four new radials. If one gets a nasty enough cut that you would like to 'retire' (pun intended) it to the spare position you do not have another radial.

3) Are you OK with a spare that does not match visually?

I know what decision I would make, but the only decision that really matters is what is best for you.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
alexiskai

All good points, and I would add that you might also find yourself putting the spare on due to wheel damage, like hitting a curb or, as happened to me, if the swage on a couple hub bolts fail and your wheel falls off.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #4
john in illinois

If you buy Coker tires from Summit racing they ship free. Just need to know Coker part number to look up on Summit.

John
Old 08-30-2019, 05:42 PM   #5
JOHN CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
That would depend on several things:

1) Are you just a local sort of driver, less than 100 miles from home or do you do longer trips? If (when!) you get a flat, then mixing a bias and a radial on the same axle will compromise handling safety. OK to get home a short distance but not the best situation to continue a longer trip.

2) Are you the you the type that rotates tires including spares to get max tread life? Apparently no from what you said. If that is the case think about the four new radials. If one gets a nasty enough cut that you would like to 'retire' (pun intended) it to the spare position you do not have another radial.

3) Are you OK with a spare that does not match visually?

I know what decision I would make, but the only decision that really matters is what is best for you.

Thanks
You talked me into buying the 5th radial tire. My mileage varies from year to year. 300 to 1000 a year. I’m very strong on safety and all tires should match.

I go to Hershey in October every year. I can order them and pick them up at the show so no shipping! And I can talk to a representative of Coker Tire.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:43 PM   #6
Synchro909

Radial ply tyres have been discussed here before. After mnuch back and forth, it seems the 5.00 X 19 are not much good but the 5,50 X 19 are OK. That is, unless they have improved the 5.00 tyres, which I doubt.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
duke36

Suggest inquiring from the vendor what the tires' cord material is and where made. There's debate whether radials add any benefit for the stock Model A wheels and at lower speeds driven vs. polyester cord tires. Beware the low cost (Vietnam made ) tires are usually made with nylon bias cord.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:09 AM   #8
jhowes

duke, I thought that nylon cord was the prefered cord. If not what should one look for?? Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
JOHN CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke36 View Post
Suggest inquiring from the vendor what the tires' cord material is and where made. There's debate whether radials add any benefit for the stock Model A wheels and at lower speeds driven vs. polyester cord tires. Beware the low cost (Vietnam made ) tires are usually made with nylon bias cord.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
duke, I thought that nylon cord was the prefered cord. If not what should one look for?? Jack
I always pick up my tires for my antiques in Hershey. This way I can ask questions like where they are made and made with. Also I can see them before I purchase them. I’ll hate like hell if I have them shipped home and I don’t like them. I can be stuck with them.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:11 AM   #10
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Radial ply tyres have been discussed here before. After mnuch back and forth, it seems the 5.00 X 19 are not much good but the 5,50 X 19 are OK. That is, unless they have improved the 5.00 tyres, which I doubt.
I believe that was on the Excelsior Tires. They're discussing the Coker Classic Radials here.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:18 AM   #11
SSsssteamer

Another thought... Today's modern tires are supposed to be change out every 5 years because of rubber deterioration. If one only drives 1,000 miles a year, then the four new radial tires on the ground won't show hardly any wear when they should be changed out. Spending a couple of extra hundred on a spare would be a waste of money because the spare will be out of date and not have any miles on in with in five years. Our tires on our 1930 AA stake bed, I purchased in 1971 and they still look and run excellent..... I am not changing them out unless they look bad. The spare tire on our 1929 Tudor doesn't match the other tires but I use a spare tire cover over it and then it looks great.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:52 AM   #12
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning...If you are budget conscious as I am, then look at the $99 tires from Viet Nam. I have had a set for several years and run around 800-1000 miles a year in Arizona. The tires seem to wear well and they don't wonder all over the road. For me they have been a good value. I did use new tubes and liners. I did purchase a spare. Most vendors have them. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:14 AM   #13
duke36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
Tires are constructed with a (complex) combination of various fibers/ materials for different stresses/strengths, temperature ranges, locations within the tire, weather exposure, etc. Depending on testing, DOT certifications for the USA, etc. tire selection would want to include factors other than price. It may be unclear when a tire is designated "nylon" or "polyester", exactly what that construction entails. Some "nylon" tires may exhibit flat spots from sitting, exhibiting tire "thumping" until driven to warm up the plies, after which the "thumping" usually disappears. If a vendor can't supply information, testing results, user feedback, you may want to consider other sources.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:43 PM   #14
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I believe that was on the Excelsior Tires. They're discussing the Coker Classic Radials here.
OK. So there are two companies making radial tyres for our cars?
Old 09-01-2019, 07:14 PM   #15
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke36 View Post
Tires are constructed with a (complex) combination of various fibers/ materials for different stresses/strengths, temperature ranges, locations within the tire, weather exposure, etc. ...... It may be unclear when a tire is designated "nylon" or "polyester", exactly what that construction entails. .
Duke are 'rayon' tires the same as 'nylon' tires? Reason I ask is we are running a set of 40 some year old ugh bug Garfield zig zag tires that refuse to wear out. They say 'rayon' on the side in small lettering.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote