Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
HCO41

Default Battery Maintainer

Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem (?) as I've had with the 6V Deltran Battery Tender Junior, PN 021-127. I have 3 of these and all have the same issue. Even if I hook it up after the car has been run a good distance, the red, charge light, comes on and stays on. My 12V units do the same, but will go to green light about an hour after hook up. The 6V unit will stay red for a month if I don't unplug and immediately replug it. I also notice that the transformer is warmer than normal. With- in seconds after doing this the light on the unit goes green with no further attention until next time I disconnect it. This happens with all the 6V tenders used on both positive and negative ground systems. They do however maintain the battery and have easily started a car that has set as long as a year.
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
Jack E/NJ

Default Re: Battery Maintainer

Same battery?

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
HCO41

No, three different ones. Two Ford script and one of the long narrow batteries in a '41 Buick. All batteries in good shape.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
36Bill

Do you disconnect the battery from the car when you put the maintainer on? It could be a drain in the wiring.

Bill
Old 10-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
V12Bill

I had this problem with my Battery Tender and asked the Battery Tender agent at Carlisle about it. He called tech support and we were told that you should unplug the transformer from the A/C outlet before you disconnect the clamps from the battery. It seems that if the transformer is not unplugged first, then when you reconnect the clamps the transformer does not "recognize" the battery and stays in the red or charge mode.
Disconnect the transformer first when disconnecting from the battery and plug it in last when hooking back up. I started doing this and the red light goes out sooner. Hopefully it will "recognize" the battery sooner and the red light will not come on at all.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
Jack E/NJ

V12Bill>>>the transformer does not "recognize" the battery>>>

Ahh! Gimme an old Warshawsky trickle charger! 8^)

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
HCO41

Battery cables are disconnected during maintainer use. As per instructions I always unplug transformer before disconnnecting clips from battery. When hooking up, the transformer gets plugged in only after clips are attached to battery. I also called Deltran tech. support and they told me to leave the unit plugged in for as long as it takes for the light to go to green. I can tell you that the transformer gets warmer than normal if red light stays on for a day or so. I was told that I was "tricking" the unit into thinking the battery was fully charged but that the unit would work normally even after the "trick". They do their job in that the vehicles always start even after extended periods (up to a year). The PITA is that I disconnect all maintainers when I'm going to be away from home for a few days and have to go through the routine when I get back. By the way, the 12V maintainers work normally without the unplug/replug requirement. I guess I can live with it. Thanks for the input.
Howard
Old 10-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

I have also noticed that even after a long run, that should have my battery fully charged, when I first hookup the 6V Battery Tender the red light always comes on first. However, on mine it does go green after a few hours of trickle charge. This is with Optima 6V Red Top batteries. I don't have any old cars with 12V. Now, I do believe that it is not necessary to us a battery tender on an Optima battery. In fact I believe I ruined one of my Optima's by keeping it on a maintainer for an extended period of time. The Optima seems to maintain its charge well during the two to three months that I do not drive my car in the winter. Too much salt on the roads here in Maryland.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
Shadetree

I have 2 battery maintainers but never use them. I have one Optima and two Wal-Mart batteries in my antiques and they all three maintain their charge through the winter months. I never start the vehicles until spring as it does more damage by running them for a short while and shutting them down. I have cut off switches in the old vehicles.

Car batteries have greatly improved since the old days when you were lucky to get three years use out of them.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
Kurt in NJ

I use the neglect method, the people I have talked to that use maintainers get 1/2 the battery life I get, sitting 6 months---no problem ,I expect the car to start

When I have talked to maintaioner sales people they promise to double my battery life if I was to use one ---that I could get 5---and even 7 years out of a battery ---The last regular battery I bought new lasted 9 years, the Optima just died at 16 years ---this is in a stock car---perhaps modified cars need maintainers to keep the modifications happy
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
L78CHEVELLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
I use the neglect method, the people I have talked to that use maintainers get 1/2 the battery life I get, sitting 6 months---no problem ,I expect the car to start

When I have talked to maintaioner sales people they promise to double my battery life if I was to use one ---that I could get 5---and even 7 years out of a battery ---The last regular battery I bought new lasted 9 years, the Optima just died at 16 years ---this is in a stock car---perhaps modified cars need maintainers to keep the modifications happy
I have had about the same experience with my batteries as you have. All my cars have Optima 6 volt batteries and I have never replaced one in the 11 years I have had one. I do drive my various cars on decent days year round. They do sit sometimes for up to 4 months with no charge and still start a good condition car. Optima batteries have changed a lot of things for me regarding storage and starting of cars.
L78CHEVELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #12
Automotive Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
I have 2 battery maintainers but never use them. I have one Optima and two Wal-Mart batteries in my antiques and they all three maintain their charge through the winter months. I never start the vehicles until spring as it does more damage by running them for a short while and shutting them down. I have cut off switches in the old vehicles.

Car batteries have greatly improved since the old days when you were lucky to get three years use out of them.
While this is probably true, I can't say enough good things about battery tenders. I have an old mustang that the analog clock will be enough to make the car not start after a month in the garage, and if I disconnect the battery it would only last a little longer. I haven't had a problem at all since I went to battery tenders. On my '47 the battery is from Feb 2006 and I had it tested last weekend, still has 749 cca. I'm on 3 years with one motorcycle battery that previously I had to replace every spring before I started leaving it on a tender.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post

I also use the 'neglect' method. I've got one car that I've had a long time, and two batteries in succession have lasted 16 years each. I can't complain. I leave the battery disconnected when the car is not in use.
The car easily starts, after many months.
Last year, I tried to 'get-modern', and I bought some 'maintainers' - two of them. I tried them briefly, and now don't use them at all. They are like new, and for sale, if anyone is interested.
Just my experience, JMO...
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
[COLOR=#1a1917][FONT=Verdana]I

I agree. I put an Autozone Duralast battery in my '40 in '95 when I finished it. I changed it out eleven years later when I was about to take a long week-end trip in the car. That battery is still in the car and tests good with my resistance type battery tester.

I always buy the highest cranking amps/longest reserve I can get in my battery box. I never use a battery maintainer because the weather in this area allows me to drive my cars on better days, at least every couple of weeks.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
Graeme / New Zealand

I use one of these and have had it for 2 years now with no problem. I swear by this. I got it after trying the "neglect method". My battery died and I raised it from the dead.. I do not claim to be the Almighty , I don't come any near him but this little machine was well worth the money I paid for it. It is an American product. There is also a you tube link. I just got the 6V charger/maintainer.

http://www.saveabattery.co.nz/maintainers.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Haezb0-zUQ

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #16
russcc

Same problem on my 6V Model A. Red light never seems to go green. Have a battery shutoff switch which is always killed when stored, and I always disconnect the power source before taking the clips off the battery. Safety first, pulling of the clips while still plugged in is a source of spark and explosion from Hydrogen gas in the air at the battery. The 12V maintainer work fine, charged, turns green. What gives.? Not Optima batteries.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #17
BlueSunoco

I have two 6V Deltran Power Tender Battery Chargers and two 12V Deltran chargers and have never had any problems at all with any of them. They work great.

As V12Bill said in post #5, disconnect the power source before you unhook the battery, that's probably all the issue you have. I always do this as a matter of safety----don't want any sparks around the top of a battery by hooking/unhooking the clamps while it is plugged into an outlet. Good habit to get into. Kill the power at the outlet first Same reasoning that when jumping a dead battery your last connection is a ground AWAY from the battery NOT the battery post! Hydrogen gas doesn't like any kind of spark or flame, gets kinda irritated real fast just remember the Hindenburg. Oh the horror, the horror!!!
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote