Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Tom in SW VA

Default Stromberg carb questions

I am still having problems with my 37 Ford. I purchased a brand new Stromberg 97 carb and have had a time getting it to work correctly.

I have a couple of questions:

First: On the box, in big letters, it says "Set fuel pressure at 2.5 psi"
What does this mean? Where and how do I set the fuel pressure? Do you have to have a special tool or something?

Secondly: The carb has a summer and winter settings on the pump rod. Which one should I use? What difference does it make?

I appreciate any and all help that I can get. I am a neophyte when it comes to early V-8s and carbs. Thanking you in advance.................. Tom
Tom in SW VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
JWL
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Stromberg carb questions

The adjustment of fuel pressure is usually done with a pressure regulator between the fuel pump and the carb.

The S and W setting changes the stroke and rate of the accel pump. Beyond the initial opening of the throttle the S and W will not affect the normal carb performance as it is only designed to prevent engine "stumble" when the throttle is rapidly opened.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
john mullen

The winter setting will give you more fuel per squirt and it depends how much you drive the car in the winter. I would use the summer setting and see how it works ..an adjustable fuel pressure regulator from your local auto parts store will correct the fuel pressure.
john mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Mike in AZ

not the v8-60, correct??....so, what have you done and how is it not working correctly??.....where did you get the carb??.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Tom in SW VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
not the v8-60, correct??....so, what have you done and how is it not working correctly??.....where did you get the carb??.....Mike
Mike: It is a 1938 85 HP 24 stud engine. I have adjusted idle screws and changed the winter setting to the summer setting. I bought the carb from Mike's for $500. It hesitates and misses and runs very rough, but not all the time. I know that it needs a tune-up, but I don't have the expertise or know of anyone who can help. I contacted the local Early Ford V-8 club in Bristol, TN, but no luck. Any suggestions??
Old 10-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Tom in SW VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by john mullen View Post
The winter setting will give you more fuel per squirt and it depends how much you drive the car in the winter. I would use the summer setting and see how it works ..an adjustable fuel pressure regulator from your local auto parts store will correct the fuel pressure.
Where does the fuel pressure go and what is involved in installing it? The car has the glass bowl fuel pump.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
Don

Would a extra gasket under fuel pump stand reduce fuel pump pressure?Give it a try if this is a problem.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #8
john mullen

check your fuel pressure first and see where it is now.. if you have the correct fuel pump it should be 2 1/2 to 3lbs.. next check the timing advance and see if its working ok. check for any vac leaks or bad plug wires. check plug gap for ware ..I would think if you had high fuel pressure you would see flooding of the carb. check to see what the compression is on all 8 holes they should be within 5 lbs + or - and be somewhere around 120 lbs It would help if you could describe more about how it runs under road conditions ,might help diagnose the problem closer..
Old 10-15-2013, 03:16 AM   #9
my4dv8

Just for your info, I have had a couple of new strombergs that were not set up correctly out of the box. For instance one car ran ok on idle but that was it , discovered it had NO MAIN JETS so that would do it . On another the accelerator pump was out of round, so just be sure the new carb is set up correctly. Anyway once I set mine up they are outstanding , great economy, no leaks, did I say no leaks. . I was offered a replacement carb , but said no thanks just send me some jets and gaskets.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #10
Terry,OH

If you do not have an electric fuel pump then there is no need for the fuel pressure regulator, if you install an electric pump keep in mind the original fuel pressure out of a mechanical pump is about 2 to 2-1/2# you may need a pressure regulator to keep the pressure to the Carb. there.
If you want to have your distributor tuned up, I suggest you send it, the inner caps, the coil and condenser to Jim at Linder Technical Services 1330 Main St. Speedway, IN 46224 317-487-9460
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #11
ken ct
BANNED

If its a newer China made pump its possible its putting out too much pressure but it would be pouring gas out of every where. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
funrunr

My stock Ford fuel pump was putting out 3lbs of pressure and flooding my new Strombergs. I put a regulator on and turned it down to 2˝lbs. This solved my flooding problem. If your using the brand new England Strombergs it will say no more than 2˝ lbs and also directions for adjusting. Also don't forget to register them and you will receive tech support too. Good Luck
Old 10-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #13
john mullen

I have found that the carb will work best when the stock air breather is used. make the idle adjustments with the breather installed... if it is an oil bath type make sure it is filled to the proper level...it helps also if the carb is the correct one for the model year of the engine. There is a lot more to carb calibration than meets the eye. the aftermarket carbs will be close but will not perform as well as a properly rebuilt one that is correct for the year the engine was built... JMHO
Old 10-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
Mike in AZ

fuel pressure regulator and gauge will go between the pump and the carb....how did it run before the carb swap....and what carb did it have before??....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #15
JWL
Member Emeritus

What was the reason for replacing the original carb? Was the car running properly and you just decided to install a new carb? Or, was the performance a problem and has not improved with the carb change?

The new Stromberg carbs will run perfectly on your engine if the engine is capable of running to perfection.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #16
Tom in SW VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
What was the reason for replacing the original carb? Was the car running properly and you just decided to install a new carb? Or, was the performance a problem and has not improved with the carb change?

The new Stromberg carbs will run perfectly on your engine if the engine is capable of running to perfection.
The new carb came from Stromberg via Mac's. I changed the carb because the car was missing and I thought it was the carb. The biggest problem now is that it is still the missing and I have no pulling power compared to the old carb. Where I could climb a hill in high gear, I have to go to low gear. I just have no power. I know that there are basically two things that are wrong" 1) fuel problem, or 2) electrical problem. Any help would be appreciated. Have you ever had such a problem?

Note: I do not have an electric fuel pump.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
crankefrank

Tom getting the carb set right can be a frustrating task but first start by determining if it's running rich, lean or correct. Pull two plugs to see if they're black, white or tan. Tan is desired. Assuming you are using a stock manifold, pulling two side by side plugs, minimum, is because the carb is on a split plane manifold, so each side of the carb runs four of the pistons. Two inside on one side and two outside on the other head. If your air fuel mixture is correct, indicated by the tan plug reading. Then check the float. Your lack of power could be cause by insufficient gas in the float bowl. I can't remember the correct depth for the fuel level but you'll be in the ball park if the needle is closed when the float is level with bowl. If that checks out then things harder to determine. If your "missing, lack of power" occurs after running at say 50 mph for say a mile or two, you might not be pumping enough gas to the carb. A weak fuel pump can work under light loads but starve the engine under heavier load. As mentioned excessive fuel pressure can be a problem but if that's the problem you will probably be running rich and/or leaking gas out the top of float bowl.

At any rate all the advise preceding my post is a good start. Your working on your college degree at Stromberg tech.
crankefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #18
Tom in SW VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankefrank View Post
Tom getting the carb set right can be a frustrating task but first start by determining if it's running rich, lean or correct. Pull two plugs to see if they're black, white or tan. Tan is desired. Assuming you are using a stock manifold, pulling two side by side plugs, minimum, is because the carb is on a split plane manifold, so each side of the carb runs four of the pistons. Two inside on one side and two outside on the other head. If your air fuel mixture is correct, indicated by the tan plug reading. Then check the float. Your lack of power could be cause by insufficient gas in the float bowl. I can't remember the correct depth for the fuel level but you'll be in the ball park if the needle is closed when the float is level with bowl. If that checks out then things harder to determine. If your "missing, lack of power" occurs after running at say 50 mph for say a mile or two, you might not be pumping enough gas to the carb. A weak fuel pump can work under light loads but starve the engine under heavier load. As mentioned excessive fuel pressure can be a problem but if that's the problem you will probably be running rich and/or leaking gas out the top of float bowl.

At any rate all the advise preceding my post is a good start. Your working on your college degree at Stromberg tech.
What if the plugs are black? What adjustments are needed on the carb?
Old 10-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #19
john in illinois

I may have missed it,but did you answer the stock air cleaner question? My Stromberg ran too rich-black plugs with the small helmet paper filter. If they can not flow air they will be rich.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
JWL
Member Emeritus

First, check to see that the choke is opening fully. Next check to see that the throttle opens fully when the pedal is on the floor. Next try the choke test---when pulling power is required, but the engine does not respond to throttle opening, slowly pull the choke and see if things improve at some point in the choke closing procedure. Give us a report regarding your findings.