Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
DougE

Default 1952 Ford Customline 4dr Project

Just dragged this one home. Years ago I had a few grille parts chromed but haven't reinstalled. So I do have all parts. Bumpers are an issue. Are better ones available? Not sure I can find a quality chrome shop locally (Austin/San Antonio, Texas).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original Condition - email size.jpg (76.1 KB, 260 views)
DougE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 1952 Ford Customline 4dr Project

Welcome to the Barn and good luck with your project. Looks like fun.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:40 AM   #3
tubman

Welcome as well. Looks to be a solid project. I suggest resisting discarding the sun visor as some will, I am sure, suggest. I have one on my '51 that I wouldn't be without driving west in the afternoon to go to town to pickup the mail. If it helps in Minnesota, I can only guess how one works in Texas. After a while, you get used to the look, and when I see a similar car without one it looks like someone wearing a baseball cap without a bill. Also, the front bumper (at least) looks like a straight, replatable core. I'd hang on to it until I found something better.

Does it have a drivetrain in it? Does it run and drive? Those two factors will give you a "leg up" on the car. Good luck with your project.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:55 AM   #4
petehoovie

Looks to be a nice straight car....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:30 PM   #5
corvette8n

Got your work cut out for you, bumpers show up from time to time on this forum, eBay, Craigslist etc. I'd paint them black until you can find a better set.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:29 AM   #6
DougE

I was fortunate in that an uncle purchased this new and I inherited it so it has all parts. I drove it from his place to mine and it was running a little hot. I obtained two rebuilt water pumps (finding both motor mounts were shot) and had the radiator gone through. Front floor board is rusted and the right rear quarter panel is damaged. There's a few other rust throughs but nothing major. I intend to keep it mostly all original as I like the unique features like the visor and the overdrive. However, I am toying with swapping in a more modern V8 for a little more power and AC accessory drive. (Would drain and bag engine for possible future owner.) 52's seem to be orphans and I'm not having any luck searching for a way to mount an OHV V8 to the existing drive train. Sedans don't seem to be that desirable so I'm not that concerned about keeping it "original" other than to a non-knowledgeable observer.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:52 PM   #7
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougE View Post
52's seem to be orphans and I'm not having any luck searching for a way to mount an OHV V8 to the existing drive train. Sedans don't seem to be that desirable so I'm not that concerned about keeping it "original" other than to a non-knowledgeable observer.
Its true not much interest in 52 sedans like my 52 Merc. But I'd never sell mine and love the external sun visor. Chrome was very thin on 52 models due to shortages of whatever types metal used in plating that year. My bumpers cleaned up good enough for my low standards by using steel wool and diesel fuel (plus a lot of my time and effort.)
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:04 PM   #8
petehoovie

My first car was a '52 Ford Mainline 2Dr Sedan. I was 16 at the time. That car was the most forgiving car I ever owned. I abused it as only a 16 year old could do. Several years back I searched for an exact replacement to no avail - not many '52's around these days. I've been told that the Korean War was responsible for low quality and production numbers....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:16 PM   #9
Tinker

"Doug" whats your experience with cars. Chrome is the last thing I'd think of from the picture.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:25 AM   #10
mercman from oz

1952 Ford Customline 4-door Sedan. This is how they looked when they were new.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:36 AM   #11
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougE View Post
I was fortunate in that an uncle purchased this new and I inherited it so it has all parts. I drove it from his place to mine and it was running a little hot. I obtained two rebuilt water pumps (finding both motor mounts were shot) and had the radiator gone through. Front floor board is rusted and the right rear quarter panel is damaged. There's a few other rust throughs but nothing major. I intend to keep it mostly all original as I like the unique features like the visor and the overdrive. However, I am toying with swapping in a more modern V8 for a little more power and AC accessory drive. (Would drain and bag engine for possible future owner.) 52's seem to be orphans and I'm not having any luck searching for a way to mount an OHV V8 to the existing drive train. Sedans don't seem to be that desirable so I'm not that concerned about keeping it "original" other than to a non-knowledgeable observer.
You should probably join up here: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...rself-here.18/ After you have joined you can then join the 1952-59 Ford Social Group that I moderate and founded back in 2009,we have a HUGE information file that can help you with upgrades. Your '52 is an easy car to do a SBF 302 swap in and kits are available I have helped well over a hundred guys to navigate through this swap,so I hope you will join the Group.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:48 AM   #12
Tinker

sbf...

if you are cool make it all electric or put a big block in it if you want to mod it. 70s 460 out of a old ford camper.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #13
donald1950

John's Salvage on Foxtrotter rd off of Hwy 123 just below Seguine has lots of old ford parts in the yard. 830-303-9300. Tammy answers the phone and is a great lady to deal with. i have been getting ford parts there for 20 years.. great people..... you should get involved with the New Branfuls Early ford V8 club as there are several people there with 52 & 53 fords and could lend support. PM me if you need a contact phone number.... Don from San Antonio. just tell Tammy "Donut Don" told you to call........ and if you are thinking of a later drive train i have a 53 Victoria with a 350 Chevy, 5 speed, AC, PS and an 8" differental. i can offer you some suggestions.. Don

Last edited by donald1950; 09-03-2019 at 08:33 AM.
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:36 AM   #14
DougE

Tinker - Just completed a rebuild of a Jeep CJ7 but didn't have any chrome. Media blasted and painted everything. Fiberglass replacement tub. Engine, trans and xfer were good but replaced the clutch. Now ready for my next project so learning about old Fords.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #15
DougE

JeffB2 - I'm in Jalopy Journal as DougE but haven't introduced myself. Only made one comment about a gas tank drain plug. Still trying to learn my way around that forum. Engine mounts seem to be out there but matching up to the original transmission seems problematic.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:53 AM   #16
DougE

donald1950 - I've seen the New Braunfels Car Club over at Golden Corral a couple of times but don't know if they're the same as the Early Ford V8 Club. PM me contact info please.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:01 AM   #17
donald1950

Doug, the San Antonio regional group of Early Ford V8 is having a meeting Sunday and i will PM you with info..... the Car Club and Early ford V8 are different groups but are intertwined with members in both groups......
Old 09-06-2019, 07:19 AM   #18
donald1950

Doug, i just sent you a private message with a contact # for the New Branfuls Early Ford V8 club there in your area.... Don