Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2019, 10:20 PM   #21
Redtail

Default Re: Persistent intake manifold leak

Thanks again for all the expert advice everyone. I am out of town for the week but will carefully re-read this thread when I get back to the car and report on my progress.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:04 AM   #22
Terry, NJ

I agree with kurt. Resurfacing of manifolds should not be done on a sander. The exhaust manifold and the intake should be bolted together and held in a fixture and ground.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #23
rocket1

When you remove the intake check the gasket impression might be a clue to your problem.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #24
solidaxle

I did a smoke test to find my intake crack. Go on youtube and search how to build a smoke tester for vacuum leaks. They are cheap to build. Cover the exhaust and carb with latex/vinyl glove and a rubber band to seal in the smoke. If you don't have a port on the intake you can rig up something to seal the hose down the carb throat.
It's best to use a metal top glass jar and epoxy the soldering iron and hose connections, they will twist and pull out if you don't. You don't need the bike air pump just gently blow in the hose. Remember to exhale not inhale, Ha Ha.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:26 PM   #25
100IH

Things finally begin to fly in the right direction about post # 11. Stalling when stopping usually is due to Float level too high so raising it was most likely making things worse. #1 fault with the exhaust manifold is drooping at the rear hole. Surfacing makes the counter bores for the rings shallower and cause the manifold to "stand off" from the block so the gasket does not get compressed. Fix is; assemble the manifold with the rings and no gasket to see where the squeeze stops. Trim the width of the rings as needed. Do you have a vacuum wiper? That can be the whole problem, Eliminate the chance of a vacuum leak by plugging the hole at the intake. If you wind up replacing the manifold do both or you'll regret it. Don't go cheap. There have been plenty that were garbage, use the major suppliers.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote