Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #1
Magoo2

Default Starts then stops

Just started my 1931 after sitting over the winter. It fired up right away,ran for a minute or so then died. Could not get it to restart. I may have flooded it trying to restart it so I let it sit overnight. Came out this morning tried again and it fired right up ran a little longer but then quit and I can't get it restarted. I think it's a fuel issue. I have a clear gas filter and can see gas flowing so I know there is gas. Perhaps carb/ float problem. Anyone have any ideas?
Magoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #2
Tacoma Bob

Default Re: Starts then stops

Might try removing the gas cap and re-starting. Crud in the cap vents may have formed over the winter.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #3
Chuck Sea/Tac

Do the fuel flow test by removing the fuel line from the carb, then turn the gas on for a half minute to see if you get full flow. If so then ,assuming it is gas, the float valve may be sticking or mostly plugged.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #4
Bill G

There could be many possibilities, and I just went through this scenario with a friend's car. We started with checking for crap clogging the filters. Nope. We then swapped the carburetor with two others, and all three did the same thing, so it wasn't that. Then we tried the spark. It was good when we checked it, and then no spark at all when the car died. We thought it was the coil. Well, we went back and forth with coils and for a while it looked like the coil was the problem, but then with a swapped coil, it did the same thing.

It all turned out to be crappy crimped on repo flag connectors on the ends of his wires going from the terminal block to the ammeter and back and to the coil. All three of his wires had crappy crimped-on connectors that I could easily twirl around the wire with my fingers. One fell off while I had it in my hand.

We cleaned up and soldered the connectors and it ran like a champ.

Car had been sitting where it was moist. As far as I could tell, the connector(s) got some high resistance corrosion at the points of the lousy crimps. and would conduct for a minute or when the wires were wiggled from messing around with swapping out this and that, but would soon just not be able to handle the relatively small current flow of just running the engine.

My story, and I ani't changing it.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #5
RodgerC

You might have an intake manifold issue. I recently had a similar problem where my motor would start up fine and in 5 to 10 seconds, run a little rough and then shut off. If you motor is making lots of noise when it does run, check your manifold gaskets, it should cover all 4 exhaust port and the 2 intake ports from the carburetor. A last issue could be related to the fuel line clogging up. Check the screen filter in the intake to the right side of the carb. Remove any sediment and replace.
RodgerC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:59 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Did rodents plug up the exhaust over winter?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:01 AM   #7
1928Mik

After winter storage my car fired right up. Topped it off with some fresh gas and then it ran for a minute, then stalled. Wouldn't restart, just cranked over. I took carb off and split it, sprayed some carb cleaner thruout, put it back together and it fired up again with no issue.......Go figure...

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:16 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928Mik View Post
After winter storage my car fired right up. Topped it off with some fresh gas and then it ran for a minute, then stalled. Wouldn't restart, just cranked over. I took carb off and split it, sprayed some carb cleaner thruout, put it back together and it fired up again with no issue.......Go figure...
Today's crap gas can leave lots of residue, and the crap gas evaporates very quickly. On small engines especially, it's important to run them dry for long term storage.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #9
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Today's crap gas can leave lots of residue, and the crap gas evaporates very quickly. On small engines especially, it's important to run them dry for long term storage.
What's the verdict on the ethanol-free stuff? I put 89 non-ethanol in my Model A and all my small engines, and I live in the south so I drive the A during the winter (but not my small engines). Do I need to take any special measures?
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:44 AM   #10
Patrick L.

I run non-ethanal in small engines, it stores much longer. I run them dry for the off-season if able.

I run anything in the 'A' including the old stale fuel [ 2 cycle too], it doesn't care. It likes the 2 cycle stuff. I run the 'A' dry for the off-season.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #11
Patrick L.

Regarding the OP, maybe some varnish has built up in the carburetor especially the needle/seat. I agree with checking for fuel flow. A little 'love tap' may help with a sticky needle, but, these carburetors come apart easily.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #12
Magoo2

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. It won't start at all now. Fresh gas,removed carb bowl and cleaned carb with carb cleaner, fuel filter clean, ran it dry last year, now I'm thinking electrical because I can crank it with the key in any position or removed altogether.
Magoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #13
30 Closed Cab PU

The key only turns on and off the ignition on standard wiring. Every thing else is live with or with out the key in, or key turned off or on. Starter/Lights/electric wiper/etc. are always live.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #14
30 Closed Cab PU

Disconnect one of the wires at the spark plug, place the free end of the lead it about 1/4 inch from the plug, ignition on, crank the motor and you should see a nice blue spark at the gap.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:26 PM   #15
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo2 View Post
Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. It won't start at all now. Fresh gas,removed carb bowl and cleaned carb with carb cleaner, fuel filter clean, ran it dry last year, now I'm thinking electrical because I can crank it with the key in any position or removed altogether.

I don't understand.
Did you check for good fuel flow?
Checking for spark is easy.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:30 PM   #16
heneste

The last time I experienced a similar issue was the condensor went bad. It would start for a few seconds then die right away.
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote