Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-13-2018, 01:01 PM   #1
pgerhardt

Default Bad batch of parts

I ordered wire clips from Bert's to secure the wires going back to my new rear turn signal lights. Unfortunately when I went to install them, I found them to be useless.

Here it the email I sent Bert's:
I am emailing you to let you know you may have a problem with one of your suppliers. I just received the wire clips I ordered from you, and when I went out to install them, I found them to be useless. All the other clips I have used were made of spring steel and were very hard to spread. I would use snap ring pliers to get them started, then I could tap them on the rest of the way with a hammer. However the the clips I just received from you appear to be made from a soft mild steel. I can easily spread them with my fingers. When opened they do not return to the closed position, and so just fall off the car. You may wish to test a few yourself from this batch, and maybe find a different supplier before shipping more of these to customers. I have attached a picture of the clips I have opened with my fingers in a separate regular email I sent to you, showing that they stay open.
Paul Gerhardt

And here is the reply I received from Bert's:
Paul,

Well, I was not aware of that. Just bought 5000 of them. I will send the remaining 4900 of them back today and go back to my other source. I will replace those to you in a couple days when I get the good ones back here. Thanks for letting us know, and PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGIES. I had not tried one, not sold many, since we changed vendors.

Steve @ Bert's

So as expected Bert's will replace the defective clips. It is nice to have honest model A vendors!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 2.00.24 PM.jpg (40.4 KB, 38 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
37 Coupe

Default Re: Bad batch of parts

I just saw an interesting item for sale on Ebay.It looks like it was Eklers,mayby the outfit that bought Mac's. Anyway it was for a brand new but defective returned Zenith carb.i think it was mentioned as the one that has more air flow so you can use an air cleaner.I don't know where or who makes the "new" Zenith's but I don't think I want one as the auction site showed 10 available.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
Oldbluoval

I have always found Steve(Bert's) to be a stand-up guy and has always done the right things by me!!

Good supplier.
Oldbluoval is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
jm29henry

Berts is the best!!!
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #5
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: Bad batch of parts

37coupe,

I ran one of the new Zenith carbs that you are talking about. Not a defective one, but a good one. And it ran great! They are internally balanced for an air cleaner. I will use the carb again when I put my '29 roadster back on the road. No, I definitely did not pay the high retail price for it. I got it for a 100
bucks. The carb "gu-ru" I got it from said he could never dial it in. I had no problems with it!

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #6
JOHN CT

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks for posting that. It’s always good news when hear about a vendor is standing behind his Products. I’ve never used Berts, but I’ll keep that in my memory bank for my next order. Does anyone know if he has a spot in Hershey?
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:47 PM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN CT View Post
Thanks for posting that. It’s always good news when hear about a vendor is standing behind his Products. I’ve never used Berts, but I’ll keep that in my memory bank for my next order. Does anyone know if he has a spot in Hershey?
I "heard" he will set up next to the FREE CHOCOLATE Stand--LOL
Bill Hungry
Old 09-15-2018, 07:14 AM   #8
larry harding

when i was wiring my a i had ordered those clips from another supplier and found the same problem, they were made from plain flat strap and not spring steel. i did a post on here some time back, but don't remember the feed back.
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:09 AM   #9
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Defective new Zenith? Probably not. But .....

I picked one up from a friend who "could not make it work". He said it would stall out after a few minutes running. I found out that if you take off the top and put the gasket on upside-down, (it will fit!) the gasket blocks the air balance passage to the float bowl. Since that's the way that air gets into that bowl as gas is consumed, blocking it will cause the bowl to empty as the gas is used.

Putting the gasket in correctly and the carb runs perfectly.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #10
P.S.

Not only is Bert's Model A Center an excellent choice of aftermarket parts vendor, but they also sell an excellent rebuilt Zenith carbutetor.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #11
barry022

It's possible the shop that manufactured the clips didn't know they were supposed to be to be manufactured from spring steel, but if they did know that information and still sent them to Model A vendors, I would hope the vendors would never source parts from that company again.
barry022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #12
mfarley

mfarley is offline   Reply With Quote