Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
mrmoose

Default back in the saddle

I haven't posted here in months, and I'm sorry about that....hopefully can spend a little more time here now. My last posts were regarding my transmission repair which happily is now complete. During the course of the repair lots of other things were attended too, and the results are quite fine I think. I know you all like pix, and I have suddenly remembered how to post them, so here are some of the job.....
Easter 2011, while giving stepson David a tour about 5 miles from home, 2nd gear is lost. Limp home. Amos sits till Thanksgiving waiting for an infusion of ambition (easier to come by than money of late, but still rare!)

11252011-11272011 001 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

the lovely mrsmoose (aka Nurse Ratchett) assists with the dismantling

11252011-11272011 002 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

11272011-11272011 001 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

David, in town from San Diego for the holiday, finally gets up out of his football chair, and promptly takes credit for the extraction (he actually had perfect timing...his mother and I were rolling Amos off the ramps and needed engine guidance, which he accomplished superbly)

11272011-11272011 003 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

The little flathead gets stored until Christmas....

11272011-11272011 008 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

Over this Christmas holiday I pulled the transmission, steering column and box, and the speedo. No pix of that event. Took the tranny and steering box and column to a local shop for redo. In retrospect, I could have done the tranny myself with Mac's book and some moxie, but was afeared I'd screw it up. The lower steering column was torn in half, and the repair was finding two incorrect columns and welding them together...turned out beautifully. Leaking box was fixed. Speedo was redone by another shop (odometer had never worked) with a new face. While that stuff was being done, I cleaned up the flathead, a '37 bearing motor with water pump block off plates I had machined some time ago (37s had block mounted water pumps whereas 34s had then in the heads), and had built with an ISKY Max 1 cam, stainless valves, and lightweight adjustable lifters from Reds. Motor has '34 replacement iron heads, Stromberg 48 carb and correct fuel pump (Ken Ct), Skips pumps and coil...and mostly correct everything. Stock single exhaust but with a long Smithy's and a slightly oversize rear pipe-just a little bark!

040112 013 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

040112 015 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

040112 019 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

040112 020 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

John Munro stopped by to give me a hand. We did as much laughing as work I think!

040112 023 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

At some point in April I got my parts back and reinstalled them, including tranny. Needed help getting the motor back in tho....

Next thing you know, Jess Saxon shows up, and we go to town.

041412 009 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

041412 011 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

041412 012 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

Early May I put on the radiator, grill, hood, intake, exhaust, carb, etc., and fired it up...success. A couple of weeks ago I brought Amos over to the home of the fellow who built the motor a few years ago and he adjusted the valves (neat trick with the drilled block to insert an allen wrench to hold the lifters while adjusting....I had no idea) and he is running quite superbly.

070912 (15) by mrmoose1, on Flickr

070912 (4) by mrmoose1, on Flickr
So that's where we stand now. I know all you folks like photos so I thought I'd send a few. Good to be back.
mrmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
ken ct
BANNED

Default Re: back in the saddle

Welcome back Moose,truck looks good as always. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
rickmass

I hope one day my 34 looks as good as yours,looks good Moose good luck with it.Rickmas
rickmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
bk53

Damn bro, that is one sweet looking truck. I looked for a 34 for years. Wound up with a 53 that I love, but ....

bill
bk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
ford38v8

Great pics of a great ride!
Below please find a pic of the REAL Nurse Ratchet!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300px-Nurse_Ratched.jpg (7.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 08-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
Vic Piano

Jeff, good to see you back in action here. We'll have to get together sometime soon if I can ever stop traveling on the weekends. the truck looks super. Vic
Old 08-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Hi Jeff, welcome back to you and Amos! I hope all is going well there in St. Petersburg for the Moose's. We missed seeing Amos at the Barner's picnic this spring. Thanks for the update and pictures. I was a little surprised that I did not see even one empty bottle of Schlitz laying on the garage floor.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
Mike in AZ

welcome back, mrmoose.....great pics.....did your engine turn colors during the winter wait??.....lol.....glad it's all back together and you can enjoy driving....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:20 AM   #9
BILL WZOREK

mrmoose welcome home so glad to see you are still on this side.
Lee said to send her best wishes.

BILL W
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:57 AM   #10
Mart

Nice work! Glad you are having fun with friends and family - it counts for a lot.

Great looking truck.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:06 AM   #11
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

Best pictures I have seen for a long time. Maybe I better go through them again. Thank you
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #12
1937pickup

Great pictures-loved looking at them-I have a question. It looks like you did not put the trany on the engine before installing the engine. Is that right? I would think having the tranny on the engine would make it easier to install.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #13
Pat/Ohio

mrmoose, Thanks for sharing the pictures and story. Great looking '34! I just purchased a house in Lakeland and will be taking my '32 5W down this winter. Hope to meet up with you & your '34 sometime. Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
mrmoose

Hey Ke, hope you're well. Any progress on Georgia move?
Old 08-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #15
1931 flamingo

Welcome back. I remember earlier threads.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #16
41ford1

Welcome back. You and Amos look happy. I heard Clem went to a new home.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #17
Russ/40

I have always said Amos is the finest truck like it I have ever seen, and now it is even finer.
Sometimes you see a particular truck that starts a lifelong craving for one like it. Amos is that truck for me. Just beautiful in every way.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #18
mrmoose

I do not know how to respond to your individual messages...looks as if each answer shows up at the bottom of the post. Dang, I feel like a newbie again. So I guess I'll respond to all with one post.
Ken, hope you're well. Any progress on Georgia move?
Rick, thanks for the compliment...we're both blessed to own '34s, and I'm sure yours will look at least as good as mine at some point.
Bill, I looked at the picks of your '53 and it looks pretty danged good to me!...gorgeous truck.
Alan, if you ever saw mrs moose's eyes when she gets angry, you'd think Louise Fletcher was a kindergarten teacher! By the way, she named herself for that particular operation, just like she's named all our vehicles...and the names stuck!
Vic, we really do need to get together soon. For various reasons life has been sorta tough around here for awhile and getting together with good friends goes a whole long way in fixing that.
John, I place the empties gently back in the box after I swizzles them so as to make room for the next one. Also as I stumble around in the garage I don't wanna trip over empties and end up thumping my noggin.
Hey Mike, just repainted engine in the same color (Macs green) and I think it came out looking good. When it was built (3 years ago) they painted it with my paint but a little thin...they also had trouble with the r&r and spilled stuff on it...builder did a great job but the shop he works for and in particular the fellow who did most of the r&r were a little .....to put it gently, lacking in skills...I was lucky to get it back in one piece.
Bill, hello to you and Lee both!....How are those knees doin? I wanting to sock some $$ aside for shock therapy, but having little success so far. Maybe I should call Nurse Ratchett for help?
Mart, thanks, and you're right, doing the job with folks you love is the best reward!
Ken, thanks, I'm glad I finally remembered how to post. And by the way, I would love to see pix of all your iron together sometime...some of the very nicest stuff I've seen. Also, we acquired a (rescued) manx recently (tailless cat), who walks just like a dog, and is proving to be a good buddy.
1937Pickup, the engine install actually went very smoothly, and I was much more concerned with getting the tranny/universal/driveshaft just right than I was with the engine/tranny linkup which looked straightforward and was. If I were doing it again I'd do it the same way, although others may have different opinions. Also, I did the tranny install myself without any help and really wanted to spend time seeing just how everything linked up....a good learning experience.
Pat, welcome to sunny Florida then, and by all means we'll need to hook up. Where in Lakeland did you end up?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #19
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoose View Post
Hey Ke, hope you're well. Any progress on Georgia move?
Still looking,having trouble selling house up here! ken+peg isidor/
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #20
Gumpy

thankyou Jeff for sharing your pics of the truck i think i'll pick one of those up some day love the lines on the grill to hood and the front nose...already know where a motor is for one of those stored in my at my friends ranch....he's been living there 60 years!

Last edited by Gumpy; 08-10-2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: sp
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote