Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
aquadave

Default Adjustment Needle Driver

I need to replace the Adjustment needle driver on the carb for my 1930 Model A. does anyone know how I would tell if I need one that is "Pinned" or "Unpinned"? Model A newbie.
aquadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
aquadave

Default Re: Adjustment Needle Driver

I could also use a little instruction and/or advise on how to change it.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #3
Purdy Swoft

I've seen adjustment needle driver that wasn't pinned that would slip . I think that the pin is an extra cost part to prevent slippage . I prefer the pinned part .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #4
Joe K

The driver being the rod which goes from your knob on the right of the dashboard down to and connects to the carburetor GAV?

As far as I know drivers/GAV adjustment rods are drivers/GAV adjustment rods. No distinction to being pinned or unpinned needed.

Perhaps the vendor has found a way to "improve" a known failing of the reproduction rods? Some reproduction rods the knob will "spin" giving the operator a sense they are adjusting the GAV - when they are not.

You could ask your vendor if this is the case? Most vendors are more than willing to describe what they sell in a phone call.

As to use of the GAV, it is common to open it (turn counterclockwise) perhaps one turn on starting. When the engine is warm, it can be closed down to about 1/4 turn open, a little more, a little less depending on your specific carburetor or engine.

Joe K
Old 03-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #5
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadave View Post
I could also use a little instruction and/or advise on how to change it.

Thanks in advance guys.

There is a flared metal sleeve that slips over the choke rod and extends downward and over the end of the needle driver . There should be a long spring that slips over the choke rod and extends from the firewall to the flared end of the metal sleeve . The choke rod and needle driver are spring loaded by this spring . It will be necessary to firmly grasp the choke rod , near the firewall while pulling back on the sleeve to release the choke rod from the needle driver . Care needs to be taken because its easy for the spring and sleeve to end up under the car . I now proceed to loosen the nut that connects the choke lever to the side of the carburetor . I just loosen the nut enough to get the ball on the choke lever out of the slot that extends around the lower needle driver . The needle driver can be pulled backwards and off the carburetor .
Old 03-22-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
aquadave

Thank you everyone. I have enough info to amuse me for a bit. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:53 AM   #7
stewgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadave View Post
Thank you everyone. I have enough info to amuse me for a bit. I'll let you know how it goes.
Hang in there aquadave. From one newbie to another, it takes a while to get your feet wet here and become acquainted with veteran Model A folks that have lots of information.
stewgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:35 AM   #8
Purdy Swoft

It sorta amuses me that anyone would have problems removing the needle driver in the first place . Some need a picture !!! I've got a lifetime of model A experience and try hard to explain things in a way that a person that has never worked on a model A should be able to understand . No harm or amusement intended !!!!!!!