Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2019, 06:31 PM   #1
History

Default Water pump probably needs rebuild or LEAKLESS.?

I greased both fittings and it readily accepted grease on my A before I cranked the engine. The engine fired up and in a few moments I could hear a screeching sound about the time my brother who was videoing looked at me as something was wrong. The front bearing on the pump was starting to smoke, got it on video. We re greased and fired it back up with no screech or smoke. I assume it needs to be rebuilt from the smoke and it does leak and tightening of the packing nut makes no difference. It does have about an 1/8 end play as I can see the fan move back and forth. That worries me as I don't want the fan in the radiator.

I don't really want to take the time to do a rebuild at the moment and wanted to ask which water pump should I buy? Snyders has two types of leakless pumps, one can take grease at packing nut and one can't. I'm not sure what do to. I've searched the forum and didn't see anything that made me sure of a decision. I'd appreciate you thoughts and advice.

Thanks
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:33 PM   #2
Chris in WNC

Default Re: Water pump probably needs rebuild or LEAKLESS.?

http://leaklessapumps.com

James Rupert in CA sells excellent leakless pumps......
Old 09-28-2019, 10:22 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

If it were me I would get a core from ebay or your favorite place (they can be had cheap) and a rebuild kit. The vendors have "leak less" ones, and rebuild it without rushing. I find it rewarding to do things myself, but others just don't have time and it is good to know you can get what is needed with a simple click or call..
Old 09-28-2019, 10:43 PM   #4
J Franklin

Rebuilding the water pump should take you only a couple of hours once you have the parts. You already have the core. The end play is most likely not in the pump but the boss in the head. It can be remedied.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
nick c

The 1/8" end play can be solved by installing a brass washer 5/8x1x1/8" thick after the packing nut, then a 5/8" shaft collar, and a small amount of grease between the parts.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:44 AM   #6
Tacoma Bob

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
http://leaklessapumps.com

James Rupert in CA sells excellent leakless pumps......
Agree with Chris. If time is an issue buy and install. I bought on of Ruppert's extreme duty units and love it. Water pump rebuilds become complicated with so many ways to do it and so many choices. The process IS actually easy once you know which way to go.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:35 AM   #7
History

I'm leaning toward buying one of the original leakless from mr Rupert and rebuilding the one I have as original for a spare.

I'm surprised the shaft is basicly held in place longitudinally by the (boss) in the head. I guess it worked out as it's not an issue that is discussed much. I'm surprised there's not a bushing in the head for the shaft to ride in. Mine moves back and forth a lot as the throttle is increased and decreased, I guess by it thrusting forward as rpms increase.

I watched several videos on YouTube about packing for sealant in commercial pumps and many of those depend on leaks for lubricant of the seal. There are no videos of model A pumps being rebuilt surprisingly. I know you can buy those but I'm really surprised no one has posted one on YouTube.

I find the water pump on the A pretty interesting as it worked well for decades and still does.

Have any of the moderators considered making stickies about topics such as the water pumps, carburetor problems,,,,,,,,,. Not trying to rock the boat here as I appreciate the forum, it has already helped me much. I'm sure there may be a reason this hasn't been done, people not joining, people not participating or trying to let people appreciate the triumph of finding the information on their own. Other forums I participate in have stickies dedicated to the most asked questions and it works pretty well by not using data for redundant questions.

This is a suggestion, not a complaint so I hope no one takes this as an offense as I have never ran a forum and have no idea what would be involved to make it happen. That being said,,, thank you to the people who make this forum happen.

Thank you to the people who take time to respond to questions and try to help.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #8
Tacoma Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
I'm leaning toward buying one of the original leakless from mr Rupert and rebuilding the one I have as original for a spare.

I'm surprised the shaft is basicly held in place longitudinally by the (boss) in the head. I guess it worked out as it's not an issue that is discussed much. I'm surprised there's not a bushing in the head for the shaft to ride in. Mine moves back and forth a lot as the throttle is increased and decreased, I guess by it thrusting forward as rpms increase.

I watched several videos on YouTube about packing for sealant in commercial pumps and many of those depend on leaks for lubricant of the seal. There are no videos of model A pumps being rebuilt surprisingly. I know you can buy those but I'm really surprised no one has posted one on YouTube.

I find the water pump on the A pretty interesting as it worked well for decades and still does.

Have any of the moderators considered making stickies about topics such as the water pumps, carburetor problems,,,,,,,,,. Not trying to rock the boat here as I appreciate the forum, it has already helped me much. I'm sure there may be a reason this hasn't been done, people not joining, people not participating or trying to let people appreciate the triumph of finding the information on their own. Other forums I participate in have stickies dedicated to the most asked questions and it works pretty well by not using data for redundant questions.

This is a suggestion, not a complaint so I hope no one takes this as an offense as I have never ran a forum and have no idea what would be involved to make it happen. That being said,,, thank you to the people who make this forum happen.

Thank you to the people who take time to respond to questions and try to help.
Don't ever,ever ask about which oil to use. LOL
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:31 PM   #9
Joe K

If you end up rebuilding your old pump, read Vince's Falter's comments on water pump reproduction parts issues, the primary one being the diameter of the replacement stainless shafts.

With 1/8" free play you may need the "longer" replacement shaft which will get you away from having to address a worn bridge in the cylinder head water pump location. But this may limit your choice of shaft.

But since the impeller is "pressed on & pinned" usually, perhaps you can use a standard length shaft?

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/waterpumpshafts.htm

Joe K