Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
CheaterBobber

Default Brumfield Heads

Tried calling them today to order a head. No VM phone just rang. Has anyone had any luck with them?

Thanks
CheaterBobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Brumfield Heads

I don't think he is making them anymore.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
V4F

try the lion head . I have a lion 3 & love it ..........
Old 03-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
John/CT

My local Model "A" mechanic phoned Brumfield 6 months ago to order a head. He learned that they lost their foundry and are seeking a new one. No results yet.
John/CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #5
Gary WA

Larry IS NOT doing anymore Heads. He is on www.ahooga.com. chat daily evenings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (10.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 31 oldsmobile.jpg (45.6 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Gary WA; 03-17-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Gary WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
CarlG

Only way you can get a Brumfield head these days is to find a used one. They haven't been made for at least 4 years (that's when I was looking for one)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
machine girl

yes use the lion, works great.
machine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
TerryH

The Snyder heads are also excellent and very popular, plus they look a lot like a stock head.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:57 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

I would go with the Snyder six to one. I don't think any BF heads have been produced since 2005. When the vendors quit handleing the BF heads you had to kissazz and jump through hoops to get one. I waited over eight months for the last one that I got in 05 and I'm still not sure that it wasn't a second.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #10
JEC

I would forget about Larry and his heads. I left Ahooga and haven’t been back because of Larry's manic behaviour. I bought a set of head studs from him which were of very good quality. I questioned him once and he and his followers came back in attack mode. I didn't need that. I always wondered who the illiterate was that did his add in our Magazine. I forgot about him and bought a Riley 2 port.
JEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:01 PM   #11
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I would go with the Snyder six to one. I don't think any BF heads have been produced since 2005. When the vendors quit handleing the BF heads you had to kissazz and jump through hoops to get one. I waited over eight months for the last one that I got in 05 and I'm still not sure that it wasn't a second.
Hey Purdy,
Some sweet talker...talked me out of a lion head 3, which was about 2002 vintage. That 7:1 head was all of about 55 lbs of cast iron and ran very strong on my engine configuration.
Well, I now am running a 6:1 Snyder that is fairly new (1 to 3 yrs old). Anyway, looks stock alright , but it had two hairline cracks between water jacket holes. Must have been casting defect. Anyway, head repair shop said...not concerning, but I do not like loose ends,eh ! So, I had those fixed and the mating surface flattened. I'm pleasantly surprised that my B likes to run it hard !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:24 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I had great dealings with Larry. I ordered a head, lost my job and called to cancel the order. A few weeks later there was a head and a note to pay when I could.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:50 PM   #13
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I had great dealings with Larry. I ordered a head, lost my job and called to cancel the order. A few weeks later there was a head and a note to pay when I could.
I'm glad that you posted this !
Larry is a 'hard boiled egg' , as they used to say on the farm. But, he was good for old Barn , because of his knowledge/experience and I for one miss him...warts and all ! Yeah, he was kinda of no nonsense guy and maybe crotchety! So what ! It takes all kinds to make a good barn experience, as long as respect / tolerate others opinions. So, you didn't like his frankness, etc, but look at all the people that have AND even now want his creations.
Hey Larry, Come on back with new/improved heads and we will be beating down your door to buy your creations again.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #14
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I like Larry also. He tells it the way he sees it. You know where you stand. He knows a lot about machining, life, model A's. He also makes the best head on the market.
I still have a 7-1 no it is not for sell.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #15
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Purdy,
Some sweet talker...talked me out of a lion head 3, which was about 2002 vintage. That 7:1 head was all of about 55 lbs of cast iron and ran very strong on my engine configuration.
Well, I now am running a 6:1 Snyder that is fairly new (1 to 3 yrs old). Anyway, looks stock alright , but it had two hairline cracks between water jacket holes. Must have been casting defect. Anyway, head repair shop said...not concerning, but I do not like loose ends,eh ! So, I had those fixed and the mating surface flattened. I'm pleasantly surprised that my B likes to run it hard !
The Snyder 6 to 1 heads did have some problems at first. The most that I heard was about the heads being too thick for the head nuts to tighten past the top of the studs. There is a saying about the first pancakes off the griddle. Hopefully the problems have been solved, most of the higher compression heads of all brands had one problem or another at first. I figure that a 5.5 or a 6.0 head would have better driveability than the higher compression heads. The higher compression versions would have more problems with spark control in trying to avoid pings and timing knocks. My 5.9s run good with full advance at speed.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:39 PM   #16
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
The Snyder 6 to 1 heads did have some problems at first. The most that I heard was about the heads being too thick for the head nuts to tighten past the top of the studs. There is a saying about the first pancakes off the griddle. Hopefully the problems have been solved, most of the higher compression heads of all brands had one problem or another at first. I figure that a 5.5 or a 6.0 head would have better driveability than the higher compression heads. The higher compression versions would have more problems with spark control in trying to avoid pings and timing knocks. My 5.9s run good with full advance at speed.
Hey Purdy,
Well, life is funny ! Make a head with plenty of meat/thickness and 'there is a problem'...Ha, that's rich ! Let's think about all the millions of words/thoughts written about the tooo thin decks causing cracks and no ability to deck more than X..cause it's too thin..geeze. Head studs can be had for any such length 'problems' ! And, cracks would seem to disappear with sufficient and more thickness,eh !
Anyway , regarding you spark control with high comp head remarks...I think that I've just received the 'answer' ! I just received a newly done old timey distributor....with auto advance! Looks like a jewel in the sun! And am anxious to geter in the B ! Totally rebuilt by professional..Jim Linder aka Bubba. I'm going to be running a Super Winfield Alum 8.5:1 on a B and we will just see about that timing thing.
Hm, think that I'll hang it on the wall as eye candy/decoration till engine is ready.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #17
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Purdy,
Well, life is funny ! Make a head with plenty of meat/thickness and 'there is a problem'...Ha, that's rich ! Let's think about all the millions of words/thoughts written about the tooo thin decks causing cracks and no ability to deck more than X..cause it's too thin..geeze. Head studs can be had for any such length 'problems' ! And, cracks would seem to disappear with sufficient and more thickness,eh !
Anyway , regarding you spark control with high comp head remarks...I think that I've just received the 'answer' ! I just received a newly done old timey distributor....with auto advance! Looks like a jewel in the sun! And am anxious to geter in the B ! Totally rebuilt by professional..Jim Linder aka Bubba. I'm going to be running a Super Winfield Alum 8.5:1 on a B and we will just see about that timing thing.
Hm, think that I'll hang it on the wall as eye candy/decoration till engine is ready.
Hey Rick I'm sure Bubbas distributor will be the ticket!!! With the super Winfield 8.5 head, an auto advance distributor is almost a must. I'm running a Mallory dual point in my speedster.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #18
glenn in camino

I once gave one away. Dumb me.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #19
Chris in WNC

I once thought Larry was an interesting character that I might enjoy hanging out with.
his technical knowledge is excellent, and feedback from his customers seems always positive.
as years passed his postings became more political and crazier.
I no longer have any desire to meet him, but I'm holding on to my Brumfield 5.9 just in case we buy another Model A......
Old 03-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #20
cars2cool

There is a foundry here in Sioux City Iowa that will take on custom work such as his.
cars2cool is offline   Reply With Quote