Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Paul in Colorado

Default Model A Adventure

My Town Sedan was originally purchased in Kalamazoo, and the Kalamazoo Antique Auto Restorers Club had it as a door prize at their swap meet in February 1968. It was won by a friend of my neighbor in Arvada Colorado, who lived in Mishawaka Indiana at that time. He seldom drove it, and I bought it in 2005 and brought it back to Arvada. The body and interior are like it was in 1968, but I have done much mechanical restoration.

My Son-in-Law and I will be leaving tomorrow to drive it to the Model A Gathering on September 21 at Gilmore. If any Ford Barners are there, I would like to meet you. It will probably be the only Ford Maroon Town Sedan with Colorado plates. We will be traveling on US 36 and 24, and visiting the Studebaker museum in South Bend and the Auburn Cord Deusenberg museum in Auburn IN on the way. My sister lives in Hastings, about 20 miles from Gilmore, and we will be staying there on Thursday and Friday nights. We will also be at Gilmore on Friday to visit the other museums.

Paul Scherer
Paul in Colorado
[email protected]
Paul in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Skrain

Default Re: Model A Adventure

I have been to both the Studebaker and the A.C.D Museums!
AMAZING!
Also, The Cussler Museum in Arvada, as well. Talk about automotive nirvana...
Old 09-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
Paul in Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrain View Post
I have been to both the Studebaker and the A.C.D Museums!
AMAZING!
Also, The Cussler Museum in Arvada, as well. Talk about automotive nirvana...
Both my son-in-law and I thoroughly enjoy the Cussler museum, which is only several miles from my home.

Paul
Old 09-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
Bill Cilker

Paul
Good luck on your trip, I wish that I could join you.
Victoria Association President
Bill Cilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
willobs

Have a safe trip! Was at Gilmore in July was great.
willobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Paul in Colorado

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Colorado View Post
My Town Sedan was originally purchased in Kalamazoo, and the Kalamazoo Antique Auto Restorers Club had it as a door prize at their swap meet in February 1968. It was won by a friend of my neighbor in Arvada Colorado, who lived in Mishawaka Indiana at that time. He seldom drove it, and I bought it in 2005 and brought it back to Arvada. The body and interior are like it was in 1968, but I have done much mechanical restoration.

My Son-in-Law and I will be leaving tomorrow to drive it to the Model A Gathering on September 21 at Gilmore. If any Ford Barners are there, I would like to meet you. It will probably be the only Ford Maroon Town Sedan with Colorado plates. We will be traveling on US 36 and 24, and visiting the Studebaker museum in South Bend and the Auburn Cord Deusenberg museum in Auburn IN on the way. My sister lives in Hastings, about 20 miles from Gilmore, and we will be staying there on Thursday and Friday nights. We will also be at Gilmore on Friday to visit the other museums.

Paul Scherer
Paul in Colorado
[email protected]

If any Ford Barners want to get in touch with us in Hastings or at Gilmore, our cell phone number is 719-406-0532.

Paul
Old 09-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
Paul in Colorado

Quote:

Paul Scherer
Paul in Colorado
[email protected]
I finally have internet access to give an update.

Our trip is going well, with a few glitches. On Sunday in Missouri we stopped for gas and the car would not restart. Troubleshooting identified the problem as a bad coil. We installed a spare we brought, and it has worked fine since. Today in Illinois the car died at a stop light. We pushed it into a restaurant parking lot. The coil output was grounded with the points open. We backed the armored cable out one turn, and the car started and has been fine since.

We have driven 1090 miles, mostly at 50 mph. We have used one quart of oil, and have gotten 17.5 mpg.

Tonight we are at Logansport Indiana. Tomorrow we will drive to South Bend and visit the Studebaker museum.

Paul
Old 09-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
SeaSlugs

Do you have any pics of your journey? I would see too many photo op's and want to stop all the time haha
Old 09-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
Richard in Anaheim CA

It's well worth while to take a short side trip South after South Bend IN to Sawshewama IN to see the Hudson museum. It's Amish country so will see lots of buggies and beautiful farms. The museum has some amazing Hudson cars and fantastic stories of the history of the cars and the company.

If you are lucky the old fellow that collected the cars may be there and give you a personal tour. I did both Studebaker and Hudson the same day. Nice place to stay overnight too.
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
Bruce,Upstate NY

Spelled Shipshewana, Interesting Amish/Mennonite Interpretive Center there also
Bruce,Upstate NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
Paul in Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Anaheim CA View Post
It's well worth while to take a short side trip South after South Bend IN to Sawshewama IN to see the Hudson museum. It's Amish country so will see lots of buggies and beautiful farms. The museum has some amazing Hudson cars and fantastic stories of the history of the cars and the company.

If you are lucky the old fellow that collected the cars may be there and give you a personal tour. I did both Studebaker and Hudson the same day. Nice place to stay overnight too.
We appreciate your suggestion, and it is already on our agenda. Tonight (Tuesday) we are in Auburn, IN and will tour the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum tomorrow. We will stay in Auburn again tomorrow night, and will drive to the Hudson Museum in Shipshewana Thursday morning and get there when it opens at 10:00. Maybe we will find some vehicles we can pass, instead of having everyone pass us! After Shipshewana, we will drive to my sister's home in Hastings Michigan, about 20 miles from the Model A Museum. Friday we will tour the other car museums at Gilmore, and Saturday we will be at Gilmore for the Model A gathering. From there, we will head home to Denver.

Paul
Old 09-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

I wasn't aware of the Hudson museum in Shipshewana, but will have to check it out the next time I visit my cousin in Benton Harbor. I used to go to the Shipshewana flee market every time I went to Benton Harbor, MI. I'm thinking the flee market was on Tuesdays, but you might want to double check that.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:58 AM   #13
30ccpickup

The owner of the Hudson museum has a real nice display at Gilmore. They are the cars in the lobby as soon as you walk in.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
Paul in Colorado

We spent the day in Auburn today touring the Auburn Cord Duesenberg museum complex - eight hours of fascinating machinery! My legs are tired! We are still in Auburn tonight, and will drive to the Hudson museum at Shipshewana in the morning. It is only about an hour's drive. From there we will drive to Hastings Michigan where my sister lives. On Friday we will visit the Gilmore museums and will concentrate on the others, not the Model A museum. We will return to Gilmore Saturday for the Model A gathering. From there we will start the long drive home to Denver.

My son-in-law Andy is an avid photographer, and has taken hundreds of pictures. I will try to post some of them later, perhaps not until we return.

We are thankful for our Lord's blessings on our trip. We have had only minor problems - enough to show us that He is still in control, not us. He has helped us to resolve them quickly, with little lost time.

Ross in Kzoo called us yesterday and invited us to breakfast Saturday with some other Model Aers. We are looking forward to it. Ross, if you read this, please call us again to make sure we know where to meet you.

Paul
Old 09-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
EAK69

Was at Gilmore when I was in Chicago (road trip!) and took my wife up there to show her the Model A's... told her to 'pick one' so I can get an idea what she likes. She picked the Phaeton.... go figure...

Route 66 World
www.route66world.com - updated often!
Route 66: '...once you drive part of it - you'll want to drive ALL of it!'

Member: Phoenix Model A Club (sans the Model A!!)
EAK69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #16
Paul in Colorado

Quote:

Paul Scherer
Paul in Colorado
[email protected]
We visited the Hudson museum at Shipshewana on Thursday and saw many interesting Hudsons. The museum has several more in the lobby at Gilmore. From there we drove to my sister's in Hastings. Fri day morning we drove to Gilmore and toured the main museums. We decided to tour the Model A Museum Friday when it was less crowded. We met several local Model Aers, and were given special permission to drive onto the grounds for photo opportunities. We took photos in front of the Model A Museum, the Shell station, and the diner. I feel that the Model A Museum is by far the best, with the cutaways and the store. I wish the prices were still current.

My son-in-law Andy took about 3000 pictures (thanks to digital cameras) and I will eventually get around to sorting them out and posting some. In the meantime, you can visit his Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/andy.scheer.50?fref=ts or search for Andy Scheer.

We left Gilmore Saturday afternoon and drove to Michigan City IN. On Sunday we left there for Macon Missouri. As we drove, I became increasingly aware of an engine knock. We nursed it into Macon, and spent the night. On Monday we looked for a towing service. The only towing service in the area was able to tow us to Denver on short notice. We had a good ride back, and arrived Monday evening We see the Lord's hand in providing a tow when and where we needed it.

Paul
Old 09-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #17
Jon

Paul,
Old 09-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #18
Jon

Sorry, must have hit the wrong key.

Paul, it's good to see that you made it home, but not on a hook. If I recall correctly you said at breakfast Sat. that you have a relatively new engine in the car. Anxious to here what the knock is. We enjoyed your company and glad to meet you and your son-in-law.
John
Old 09-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #19
Paul in Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Sorry, must have hit the wrong key.

Paul, it's good to see that you made it home, but not on a hook. If I recall correctly you said at breakfast Sat. that you have a relatively new engine in the car. Anxious to here what the knock is. We enjoyed your company and glad to meet you and your son-in-law.
John
John,

We had a wonderful time, and enjoyed meeting all of you for breakfast and at Gilmore. The Model A Museum is fantastic, and the gathering was very enjoyable. The engine had about 3000 miles on it, 1000 after installation and 2060 on the trip. It will be a while before I know what the problem is. Our tow driver took us to the place where I store a car. We left the Town Sedan there and came home in the coupe, which I am now driving. The trip home from Macon was very comfortable and fast, but rather expensive.

Paul