Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2017, 04:13 PM   #21
hardtimes

Default Re: Crank regrinding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohnke Rebabbitting View Post
I agree with Kev, and George.

In 53 years, I would say that 80% of crank grinders don't know how to grind a crank that takes a gear on it. No crank of any kind should be ground off worn main journals for a center line.

Kev is also right about the ones that don't radius their stone to match the Radius in
the crank. That is real common, they grind up to the Radius with a flat grind wheel, and leave it at a Right Angle, which will brake, more then not.

A good way to tell how a crank was ground is if the very front of the first main Journal has a ridge on it as the gear was in the way to grind it all.

George also brought up the center main which is true. The Model T is even worse!

Here are some pictures of a ground crank by Vern in Fort Dodge, Iowa. They are always Perfect, with high polish on mains and crank pins, straighten rear flange by grinding, that bolts to the flywheel, while it is still set up for center line, correct Radius, crack checked with Black light. On Model T's he also, if wore will straighten the pulley and seal area.

Herm.
Hey Herm,
Another way to figure if a crank grinder ground radii on a (your) crank, is if he charged you $125. to...'cut a stone to do those radii'. Hopefully, this would indicate , along with looking, that good work was done .
That's the charge/results of ME asking/telling that I wanted the largest radius that he could put on my C crank
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:37 PM   #22
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Crank regrinding

Is this common? I "heard" of a crank for "some" engine, where the radius was SO extreme, it would BIND up the inserts!
Bill Curious