Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
JonC

Default 1931 Roadster Standard

Hi,All.

Just returned from NH with a 1931 standard roadster (some assy. required) my question is: what is the opinion of converting it to a deluxe? it has new std. interior from L&B still in the box, seat springs and all, but I love the deluxe models, what do you think?
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:23 AM   #2
Marshall V. Daut

Default Re: 1931 Roadster Standard

LEAVE IT ALONE!!! You can't swing a dead cat by tail anymore without hitting a "Deluxe" Roadster! They're as common as illegal aliens these days. Everyone seems to feel the need to take innocent Standard Roadsters and convert them to DeLuxes. It's getting harder and harder to find unmolested Standard Roadsters, especially with trunks instead of rumble seats.
You'll get the usual advice that it's your car - do what you want with it. But if you do make the conversion, you will have lost a piece of automotive Americana that will be difficult to recover. Consider yourself very fortunate to have acquired a true Standard Roadster. Not many guys have such an animal in captivity. My first sentence bears repeating: LEAVE IT ALONE!!!
Marshall,
late '31 Deluxe Roadster, et el
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:25 AM   #3
TerryH

I think most will tell you to leave it as is. Many other Std. Roadster's have been converted, making the Standard model somewhat uncommon. Kind of sad to change it if it is basically original......I sure wouldn't.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:34 AM   #4
Ken Anderson

I have a 31 Std Roadster and would never dream of converting it. There were only 5,XXX of these produced so leave it be and enjoy a fairly rare Model A example.
Ken Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
Keith True

Top and top irons,interior,windshield frame and stanchions,and cowl lights.There are more minor differences,but those are the ones that will cost you real money.If you need to buy those parts anyway it won't be a big deal.The 31 DeLuxe went back to the spare mounted on the rear,so you won't have the expense of another left fender and mount.The 31 DeLuxe is a rare bird,I think only around 5000 of them were made.I have a 30 standard,and had a 31 DeLuxe,but I much preferred the standard.I don't care for the low windshield,low roof,and the way the back of the roof slants ahead on the DeLuxe.Years ago around here at the car shows there would be a lineup of DeLuxe roadsters.Washington blue,LB interior,WW tires,Tacoma creme wheels,open rumble seat,and a trunk on the back.All just alike.Now just a couple of those show up,the owners have been dying off.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #6
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: 1931 Roadster Standard

Ditto what Marshall said! If you have to add accessories, only use bolt on ones. Do not cut, drill, saw or weld on anything that is not true to the original car. In the long run I beleive you will be happier and the car will retain its value more.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

What are the differences between the two? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:46 AM   #8
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
LEAVE IT ALONE!!! You can't swing a dead cat by tail anymore without hitting a "Deluxe" Roadster! They're as common as illegal aliens these days. Everyone seems to feel the need to take innocent Standard Roadsters and convert them to DeLuxes. It's getting harder and harder to find unmolested Standard Roadsters, especially with trunks instead of rumble seats.
You'll get the usual advice that it's your car - do what you want with it. But if you do make the conversion, you will have lost a piece of automotive Americana that will be difficult to recover. Consider yourself very fortunate to have acquired a true Standard Roadster. Not many guys have such an animal in captivity. My first sentence bears repeating: LEAVE IT ALONE!!!
Marshall,
late '31 Deluxe Roadster, et el
Plus 1 very good advice Marshall
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #9
JonC

I guess I knew the answer, It is just I wanted a deluxe, before I change anything I should and will post it for the same price I paid in case someone wants to take on the project. Since I didn't buy the car to flip I may have paid too much. It is a very solid car and with an already restored running gear I doubt I would get my money back, but hey you never know.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:01 PM   #10
Jeff/Illinois

I also agree with Marshall!!! 'Swing a dead cat by the tail w/o hitting a Dlx. Roadster' I'm still laughing at that one!!!

We have a '30 Dlx. Roadster and I do like the car BUT if a person had a Standard Roadster for the love of Pete keep it original. They look NEAT w/ rear mounted spare and trunk.

I love that picture of the '31 Roadsters in a parade in New York City, the police cars if I recall they were Standard Roadsters. The Ford Company photo of the '31 Standard Roadster looks neat as all get out.

As Keith said ' SO many were done in Washington Blue/Tacoma Cream' they started to actually get kinda repetitious. I saw a Brewster Green Roadster that really turned my head a while back, looked great!

And NO, it is your car but you can't do as you please you have to follow our directives here or suffer the consequences

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 09-05-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #11
JonC

Well Jeff I ALREADY FIGURED OUT I WILL BE BANNED FOR LIFE, if I change the car, , Major decisions for the winter. Thanks guys.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #12
Patrick L.

I have not read the other responses.

What you have is rare. 5k STD roadsters were made compared to 50K DLX models. Most STDs that were 'restored' decades ago were done as DLX. What a shame.

I'd highly recommend keeping it as it was originally made. Especially considering you have the interior kits.

Plus, I just like the way the STDs look.

What makes you think it is a STD ? About the only way I can tell is the 15" windshield.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:29 PM   #13
700rpm

Jon, because the deluxe and deluxe conversions are so common, the price has come down quite a bit, at least locally. A deluxe used to be about $22k and up around here. i still see those prices, but I don't see them selling. I more often see prices under $19k. These are restored cars, but not high-point show quality; just nice restorations. You might find that advertising your standard as a standard will net you a good price.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:40 PM   #14
ronn

funny to read everyone's opinion on this topic, while I dont disagree to the conversion-the demand still appears higher for the deluxe and they seem to still bring a good bit more $.

so I dont really agree on the "high" value of a standard.............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #15
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Quote:
Just returned from NH with a 1931 standard roadster (some assy. required) my question is: what is the opinion of converting it to a deluxe?
No! No! A Standard 31' Roadster is one of the ultimate cool and unique Model A Ford cars. It's anybody's guess as to how many Standards were converted over to "cliche'" Deluxe cars during the Model A Ford restoration hysteria craze of the 1960s-1970s era.

The taller windshield stanchions and higher top bow assembly of the 31' Standard roadster are probably worth their weight in gold as the items are much rarer than Deluxe hardware.

If we still had the 31' Deluxe, I'd swap it off instantly for a Standard model. Love those things.

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 09-07-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #16
Patrick L.

Especially since you're not not too far away, I may be interested in buying it from you since you really seem to want a DLX. I wouldn't mind having another STD.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #17
JonC

Patrick, you are always welcome to see the car and see if you think it is worth it to you. I would prefer that someone that wants to restore a std have it. Not sure where you are but I am between Norwich and Oneonta. Besides it would be nice to get a first hand opinion after seeing the car. Jon.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #18
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
Patrick, you are always welcome to see the car and see if you think it is worth it to you. I would prefer that someone that wants to restore a std have it. Not sure where you are but I am between Norwich and Oneonta. Besides it would be nice to get a first hand opinion after seeing the car. Jon.

OK, I'd like to see it, but, I'm g going thru something right now unfortunately. There is a nice little airport at Norwich. [ I didn't think one could get to Oneonta from anywhere though ] Hopefully I'll be able to do something soon.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #19
glenn in camino

Restore it but leave it a std. It will probably be worth more and be more unique.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:11 AM   #20
JonC

Thanks to everyone who replied. It seems as a std is the way to go. Since this project will take me quite some time (a lot of work needs to be done) I will start on the things that are the same. As I work on this car I will most likely become in love with it and follow through with a correct restoration. Thanks again for all your suggestions.