Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
Huskerj

Default Rumble Seat Risk

I just bought a Model A Coup. We spent some time re-aligning the rumble seat and replacing the bushings. The seat now opens and closes very easily. The primary use of the rumble seat will be to haul grandkids around.

My question: Is there a risk that the rumble seat will close on sudden braking? If so, does anyone have suggestions on preventing the seat from closing?

Thanks in advance for any response.
Huskerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:47 PM   #2
alexiskai

Default Re: Rumble Seat Risk

In my mind, the risk of the seat closing per se is not the important risk - rather, the risk is that the bodies of the grandkids, which are in motion, will tend to remain in motion when the brake is applied. The danger is from the metal parts immediately in front of them, not from the backrest behind them.

The way we addressed this problem was to install lap belts in the rumble seat and then to put the kids in standard safety carseats with five-point harnesses. The seat is sufficiently rigid to keep the rider's torso from rotating forward. However, this won't work after they outgrow the car seats.

You could take the car out with no one in the rumble seat and try a panic stop to see what happens. My guess is that the pivot point for the seat is high enough that it would not close on its own.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

It won’t close upon braking.
Make sure the kids know about that body metal that is right in front of their teeth.
I never had a problem, and a ton of kids have been in there.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:32 PM   #4
Kevin in NJ

The first problem is getting thrown from the A.

I did volunteer rescue for 14 years. An open jeep with no seat belts was always fun. People everywhere. This is at low speed in town driving.

The A is no different. It will throw you from the front cause the door will fling open in minor accidents. Kids will be thrown.

The seat can flip forward too, but I am not sure how easy. For my cabriolet I have lap belts installed.

Oh, I have many hours in the rumble seat. Starting from when I was 5 years old. Yes you do go forward if you stop fast. Of course, any ride in a rumble seat is a great ride.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #5
Licensed to kill

I don't have a car with a rumble seat but want one for the grandkids as well. It seems to me that a rumble seat is safer than the front seat of a roadster. Hard braking or hitting something will throw them into the dash as easily as the deck in front of the RS. The front seat is less safe because in a sharp turn, the door CAN some open and spill it's occupant. No side door in a RS. I would MUCH rather have the grand kids ride in a RS than in the back seat of my fordor with suicide doors. There really IS no safe place in a model A if you are in an accident. It's like driving on the road in a glorified golf cart with ZERO safety features built in.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:34 PM   #6
TerryO

You might want to get a swimming noodle, split one side, slide it on the metal in front and use it as a cushion. I haven't tried it but they work well on the slide out right above a storage door in my 5th wheel camper. Just a thought and it might save you having to make a payment on your dentist's Mercedes.

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:57 PM   #7
McMimmcs

Many of the people that are vocal about rumble seat safety have no seat belts up front. In my opinion a little hypocritical.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:04 PM   #8
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
Many of the people that are vocal about rumble seat safety have no seat belts up front. In my opinion a little hypocritical.
And How do you know that??!!!!
Old 12-08-2020, 09:17 PM   #9
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
And How do you know that??!!!!
From being in the Model A crowd for over 40 years. Attending Model A functions, tours, car shows, Hershey and Carlisle. They both have their safety deficiencies not just the rumble seat.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:43 AM   #10
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Buy a Honda, its nice and safe,and no one will call you a hypocrite..truly,lap belts in a model a might give you a sense of security but they won't lessen your chances of being seriously hurt a major accident. In fact being belted in with a fuel tank in your lap might be detrimental. The car possesses no safety features for the occupants, strapped or not.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:49 PM   #11
daveymc29

I have had ladies tell me of accidents in the rumble seat. But not from falling out. Seems funny to me how many old grannies will share some early memory of their youth in the rumble seat with total strangers. A smile and twinkle in their eye makes me suspect it was a precious memory indeed.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:40 PM   #12
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
I have had ladies tell me of accidents in the rumble seat. But not from falling out. Seems funny to me how many old grannies will share some early memory of their youth in the rumble seat with total strangers. A smile and twinkle in their eye makes me suspect it was a precious memory indeed.
I have had the same experience. Truly is funny.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:53 PM   #13
700rpm

See my comment #34 on this thread:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...50#post1956150

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:09 PM   #14
Ed in Maine

The rumble seat is not the safest way to get around. I would consider some sort of soft cushion that would fit over the metal in front of the passengers as well as seat belts. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:50 PM   #15
runewilliam_merc

I have no experience of rumble seats, but a funny (?) Fact is that in Norway rumble seat is called "svigermorsete". This Will translate to "mother in law seat" [emoji846]

Rune Waltoft from Norway

Sent fra min S52 via Tapatalk
runewilliam_merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:53 PM   #16
heDONist

My risk with the rumble seat is when I climb in or out of it. It is not easy for some one over 60 years old.
heDONist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:10 AM   #17
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by runewilliam_merc View Post
I have no experience of rumble seats, but a funny (?) Fact is that in Norway rumble seat is called "svigermorsete". This Will translate to "mother in law seat" [emoji846]

Rune Waltoft from Norway

Sent fra min S52 via Tapatalk
I believe that’s what Ford called the seat in the early model T’s!
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:18 AM   #18
Badpuppy

My coupe has a mother-in-law window. Rolls up to shut her off.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:19 AM   #19
kawagumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
Buy a Honda, its nice and safe,and no one will call you a hypocrite..truly,lap belts in a model a might give you a sense of security but they won't lessen your chances of being seriously hurt a major accident. In fact being belted in with a fuel tank in your lap might be detrimental. The car possesses no safety features for the occupants, strapped or not.

I see it differently. Seat belts will keep you in the car which does provide more protection than flying through the air to who-knows-where you'll land, maybe head-first, and possibly being vulnerable to being hit by another vehicle. Seat belts were one of the first things I added to my A, along with turn signals.
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:27 AM   #20
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
Something I have been saying since owning my first model A. Safety???, the gas tank is in your lap and the ignition source (battery) is under your feet. What could possibly go wrong in an accident??. IMO the best way to make your Model A "safe" is drive defensively and always be ultra-aware of your surroundings at all times because the ONLY way to be safe in a Model A is to not get into an accident in the first place.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote