Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
roy green coupe

Default tie rod questions

While looking around under my 30 coupe I noticed that when the wheels were turned to full lock either direction the tie rod was rubbing on the nut for the front motor mount. I think this is at least partially because I need a new spring but I also noticed the tie rod looked slightly bent. I decided to take it off and see if I could straighten it. I was surprised to find it was soft and easily bent,I could bend it over my knee with my hands rather easily. I stripped off all the paint and this part looks like it could have been an original ford but I wonder. There are old wear marks from the draglink rubbing in the past and old wrench marks that were painted over. The reason I was surprised at how easy it was to bend is I thought this was solid rod however I could hear something sliding back and forth inside and I realized this was tubing With plugs in the ends and rather soft tube at that. In Brattons catalog they list a tie rod made from solid steel rod which I will be ordering. I'm wondering if this can be an original part or if it is poor quality replacement ? It is tube .685 outside , .135 wall and soft as plain mild steel. Where the original tie rods solid like Brattons?
roy green coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: tie rod questions

The originals were hollow.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote