Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #21
COOTER

Default Re: Aluminum 2 Blade Fan

COOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:41 AM   #22
SeaSlugs

maybe its an optical illusion but it looks like your radiator neck is pointed too far down... or your radiator is tilted too far forward...(fan not close enough to radiator - look at toms pics in relation to his fan blade tip to the upper tank compared to yours.

How does your hood fit? Maybe your entire body is a tad too far forward...
Old 04-19-2017, 09:56 AM   #23
larrys40

Cooter, good photos...
I think that it's an aftermarket radiator and the neck seems to be pointing downward too much. The fix may be to get the radiator fixed ( more expensive) or the alternative might be to trim the blade a little ( less expensive).

I agree with Seaslugs make sure your radiator is vertical.. of course your hood alignment and all will be part of the equation so not sure where it's at with that in mind.
That said... I think in this case I would try any fudging you can do to maximize the distance first... and then trim the blade second. Between the two efforts that should give it some relief. I do think the radiator is probably the core issue. Of course if you have another one it might be worth trying..
Keep us posted,.
Thanks,
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #24
aermotor

The bottom of the back side of the radiator is caved in from the horizontal bead to the corner which would cause the neck to point down. MAYBE you could put a large pipe in it and gently force it up.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

In the second picture, look at the angle of the water pump shaft and timing pin. To me it looks like the engine is setting at the wrong angle, like the rear is too low, or the front is too high, or a combination of both. Do you have stock mounts?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:50 AM   #26
COOTER

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks for all of the ideas. I won't have a chance to fool with it again until the weekend but I'll report back.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:54 AM   #27
COOTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
In the second picture, look at the angle of the water pump shaft and timing pin. To me it looks like the engine is setting at the wrong angle, like the rear is too low, or the front is too high, or a combination of both. Do you have stock mounts?
Stock mounts to the best of my knowledge.
The front of the car is currently up on jack stands, exaggerating (if) any upward angle of the engine.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #28
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Mr. Cooter,

1. Everyone naturally has, and is entitled to different opinions.

2. If this was my new Model A fan situation, (similar to Mr. JBill's No. 8 reply above), I would not hesitate to accurately remove a small amount of aluminum fan tip material by:

a. First measuring fan blade width & making a snug fitting, accurate three (3) sided wood mitre box out of 1" nominal, (3/4" actual) soft pine, with (3) vertical sides, A., B. & C.; all securely fastened to a horizontal wood bottom, D. Side A. would be the end side which would contact the end tip of the fan blade, while the other (2) sides, B. & C. would snugly contact the sides of the fan blade, while the fan blade is lightly clamped to the mitre box bottom D.

b. Second mark & measure from the in-side top of mitre box end A., about 1/2" back where a cut will be made with a hacksaw beginning on tops of sides B. & C. & cut mitre box sides all the way down to box bottom D.

c. Third, lightly clamp fan in mitre box with fan tip touching A. and cut off tips of fan blades one at a time, thus insuring removing close to exact amounts of aluminum from each fan blade tip.

d. Fourth, with a flat file, round off both sharp corners off of one (1) fan blade tip and afterwards, place this rounded tip on a manila folder and mark this profile with a pencil to use as a template for accurately rounding off the other cut and rounded fan blade tip.

e. Fifth, paint fan blade tips and reinstall fan, and call your wife to take a ride.

How inaccurate will this procedure be for fan balancing? First think .... and then remember if a mocking bird craps on the tip of one of your fan blades and not the other, you can no doubt drive from New York to Los Angeles with absolutely no problems.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:04 PM   #29
COOTER

I'm chalking this up to it being an aftermarket radiator. The engine mounts are fixed so I don't see how the engine could be out of place and if I move the radiator closer to the fan, the hood will not fit. Old cars are great!
Old 05-08-2017, 12:18 PM   #30
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOTER View Post
I'm chalking this up to it being an aftermarket radiator. The engine mounts are fixed so I don't see how the engine could be out of place and if I move the radiator closer to the fan, the hood will not fit. Old cars are great!
Frame sag at rear mounts and wrong springs at front mount.

Bob
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:56 PM   #31
COOTER

Good point.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #32
WHN

I would not cut down the fan. We put one on our stock 29 Sport Coupe, it fits fine. An also importantly, works great, cool running, no vibrations.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #33
lindy williams

The original Model A two bladed fan is 16" long.
lindy williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #34
lindy williams

the original Model A two bladed fan is 16" long.
lindy williams is offline   Reply With Quote